Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Using Macro to Open Garage Door?  (Read 47080 times)

jaxjag0001

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Using Macro to Open Garage Door?
« on: September 08, 2006, 10:36:47 AM »

How do you create a "security macro" using the multiple button wall swith to open a garage door?

I am trying to figure out how to open my garage door using a fixed wirless keypad.  I was told by tech support that there is no X-10 compatible garage door keypad but some people use 4,6 or 8 button lighting control wall switches using macros to open the door.  I already have a universal module with keychain remote that opens the door.

X-10 makes a 4 button switch #SS13A, and a competitor makes an 8 button switch #12064W

Anybody care to email me a sample macro?  I use Active Home (the original).

Thanks.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Using Macro to Open Garage Door?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 11:30:16 AM »

It's been awhile since I used "Active Home (the original)" so I'll let someone else comment on building a macro for it.

I think all you basically need however is an Universal Module set for momentary mode wired across the the same contacts as your push button. This will let you open or close the door from X10. You may want to add a transever module into the mix if you want to control it with a wireless switch.

All that said, you should give some thought to whether you really want X10 to open the door. Every garage door remote system offers more security than an X10 signal. The last thing you want to happen is to have your door open when a neighbor turns on a light with their X10 system.

I do use X10 for my garage door but only to close it. (I have a magnetic switch wired in series with my Universal Module output.) I can phone in a close as well as the door closes as part of a couple AHP macros.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 12:41:27 PM »

There's no logic feature for downloaded macros in the CM11A, it's just a matter of triggering a macro or not.  And the old ActiveHome has no feature beyond that for operation from the PC (although some third-party software does).

The CM15A and ActiveHome Pro have the logic, but the Universal Module can still be actuated by a single X10 On signal from another source.

But imagine this:  You have an Appliance Module into which your Universal Module is plugged.  The AM has to be On before the UM can receive the signal, so it would take two X10 signals to open the garage door.  Add one more AM and it would take three signals (in order) to open the door.

You would have to remember to turn Off all the AMs afterwards for security, in reverse order.  And you'd have to wait for the Off signal from the (momentary) UM before sending them (else the UM would remain in the On state once its power was removed).  A downloaded macro could do that although the timing could be tricky.

It's pretty kludgey, but maybe the best you can do for security with standard X10 signals and hardware.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

azzar0

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 04:27:06 PM »

It's been awhile since I used "Active Home (the original)" so I'll let someone else comment on building a macro for it.

I think all you basically need however is an Universal Module set for momentary mode wired across the the same contacts as your push button. This will let you open or close the door from X10. You may want to add a transever module into the mix if you want to control it with a wireless switch.

All that said, you should give some thought to whether you really want X10 to open the door. Every garage door remote system offers more security than an X10 signal. The last thing you want to happen is to have your door open when a neighbor turns on a light with their X10 system.

I do use X10 for my garage door but only to close it. (I have a magnetic switch wired in series with my Universal Module output.) I can phone in a close as well as the door closes as part of a couple AHP macros.
Steven,
I am trying to do the exact same thing as you - just close the garage door, not open it. Can you walk me through it? Any pictures of the universal module hooked up to the garage door board, as well as macro screenshots would be great!
Also, you mentioned a magnetic switch - is that like a door security sensor? I have one installed already...
Thanks,
Azzar0.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 01:02:24 AM »

...I do use X10 for my garage door but only to close it. (I have a magnetic switch wired in series with my Universal Module output.) I can phone in a close as well as the door closes as part of a couple AHP macros.
Steven,
...just close the garage door, not open it. Can you walk me through it? Any pictures of the universal module hooked up to the garage door board, as well as macro screenshots would be great!
Also, you mentioned a magnetic switch - is that like a door security sensor? I have one installed already...
Pictures would be nice because installing the reed switch was the trickiest part for me. Sorry I haven't stepped over the techo hump to supply pictures. (I know it's not hard but I haven't found the time do it.) That means you'll have to survive with my description.
I think my reed switch is like your door security sensor except that it is near the opener motor and closes when door is open. Basically my setup has the magnet part of the reed switch attached to the top of the door in line with the track. I found silicon glue to work best. Then the reed switch needs to be mounted so that it closes when the door is opened fully. I mounted mine to spare key box and stuck it to the track. Surprisingly the magnet on the spare key box is far enough away that it doesn't fool the reed switch. I have an Universal Module plugged in next to my garage opener. When the Universal Module receives an X10 signal, it closes a switch. If that output were directly connected across garage door button contacts, the door would open or close unpredictably based on the direction the door moved last. By wiring the Universal module output in series with the reed switch, the only time the universal module output can have any effect is when the reed switch is closed. i.e. The garage door is fully open. This means an X10 signal to the Universal Module can never open the door will alway result in the door closing.
My timed shutdown macro sends a G1 ON (the code for my garage) command as part of it's series of events. I delay for a few seconds and then repeat the G1 ON signal. While redundant, the repeated command makes sure the door is closed.)
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 09:51:57 AM »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:35:40 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

azzar0

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 11:10:52 AM »

Thanks Don.
I already have a door/window sensor on the garage door. A monitoring macro (which runs every half hour between 9 PM and midnight) announces through the speakers that the garage door is still open (with Bill's BVC or x10dispatcher). I think all I need now is a universal module which I will connect ONLY TO THE CLOSE wire of the garage door opener. Is this true? I am assuming I can tell which one is the "CLOSE" wire on the garage door opener - correct?
Thanks,
Azzar0.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:36:22 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »

azzar0 most hard wired door buttons are only 2 wire and respond to a momentary closing of the buttons contact tips. The logic of up down or stop is done inside the main door unit. This has been the case with all the units I have ever had. (some may use 3 wire).

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 01:24:28 PM »

azzar0 most hard wired door buttons are only 2 wire and respond to a momentary closing of the buttons contact tips. The logic of up down or stop is done inside the main door unit. This has been the case with all the units I have ever had. (some may use 3 wire).
I too have never seen a 3 wire system. The momentary switch starts a direction. If I recall correctly... If it is pushed while the door is closing the direction reverses. If pressed while opening it stops. For a closed contact to definitively close the door, you must know it is open all the way. This is why I have my reed switch installed where I do.
I think the reed contact setup you have is just telling you when the door is closed all the way. There is no way to predict which way the door will go from a partly open position.
Also my setup allows me to incorporate a guaranteed door closing from my power recovery macro even if I have disengaged the door and opened it manally!

azzar0

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 04:44:13 PM »

I think I understand the basic principle, Steven. What did you use for your magnetic contact? Do you have one of the wires from the Universal Module connected to the magnets and then to the garage door opener?

If you were to draw a basic diagram, is this accurate?

(Garage Door IS NOT fully open in this diagram - magnets DON'T touch each other)

Universal Module: (wire1) -------> (magnet 1) |||                 ||| (magnet 2) -------------------> garage door opener
                  (wire2) --------------------------------------------------------------------------> garage door opener

(Garage Door IS fully open in this diagram - magnets DO touch each other)

Universal Module: (wire1) -------> (magnet 1)|||||| (magnet 2) -------------------> garage door opener
                  (wire2) --------------------------------------------------------> garage door opener

• If that is true, how do you keep the wire going from the Universal Module to the 'moving' magnet from being tangled up or getting stuck / ripped? The wire has to travel with the magnet, up and down....
  • Can you point me to a web location where you purchased the magnetic contacts from?
  • How do you wire it so that you also keep the existing push-button active?
    (I apologize for all the questions, but I want to make sure I fully understand everything before I attempt to do this. I am fairly handy when it comes to these things, however in this case my enthusiasm makes up for lack of experience :) )
  • Can you make a diagram and upload it here?

Thanks for taking the time to explain how it all works.

Azzar0

[TTA Edit: Added WHITESPACE and formatting to improve readability.]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:24:54 PM by TakeTheActive »

azzar0

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 05:20:19 PM »

never mind about the wire getting caught - duh...
Anyway - is this something I could use?
http://www.smarthome.com/7455.html

Thanks!
Azzar0

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 06:59:50 PM »

.....most hard wired door buttons are only 2 wire and respond to a momentary closing of the buttons contact tips. The logic of up down or stop is done inside the main door unit. This has been the case with all the units I have ever had. (some may use 3 wire).

As I understand it (my unit is also a 2-wire) the 3rd wire (on some lift-master units) is for the light. That way you can turn on the light (that automatically comes on when the door opens) without opening the door.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 01:31:15 AM »

... Anyway - is this something I could use?
http://www.smarthome.com/7455.html
Well that's a really nice switch but it's really designed for detecting the door being closed. It might be adaptable but it is made to be mounted on the floor. With some clever macro programming you could send garage signals till it detects a closed closed door. The problem with that approach is that an X10 signal can open the door.
This is type I used. You should be able to pick one up at Radio shack for a few bucks.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 12:07:08 PM »

Thank You steven r! Your concept opened my eyes to how to do a very similar project (just being notified when the door is left open). I found this VERY helpful.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

azzar0

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 06:14:35 PM »

Thank You steven r! Your concept opened my eyes to how to do a very similar project (just being notified when the door is left open). I found this VERY Helpful.

I do that with a simple Security module, Dave... When the door is left open I have a macro on a timer (every half hour between 9 PM and midnight) and if the garage door is left open it broadcasts an audio message throughout the network of speakers I started building ("Garage door is still open, please close"). Now I want to be able to send a close command, at a certain time.

Steven_r, the contacts you used are similar to the ones used by the door/window security module from X10. You could just use one of those, right? Hear me out here... Mount the security module near the door opener (contacts are CLOSED when door is FULLY OPEN). This will set that sensor to the "Sensor Closed" position. In AHP, write a macro that checks the status of that security module and close the door:

Trigger = garage sensor / sensor closed
play message "Garage door will close automatically in 15 seconds, please stand back"
turn chime on (audio beep during count-down time)
set delay 15 seconds
turn on appliance module (one that universal module is plugged in)
turn universal module on (that should close the garage door)
turn off appliance module (cut power off again)
turn chime off
trigger another macro (to check and make sure door is closed. this second macro could play another message to inform that the door was closed successfully, etc).
You could then put this macro on a timer and voila - garage door is closing by itself, correct?

I still need help with hooking up the universal module in parallel with the push button - do you take only one wire from the push button and split it into two (one going like the original was and the other one through the UM) or do you have to use both wires?

Thanks again for listening and providing valuable feedback,

Azzar0.

[TTA Edit: Added WHITESPACE and formatting to improve readability.]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:39:31 PM by TakeTheActive »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.