Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Using Macro to Open Garage Door?  (Read 47082 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Using Macro to Open Garage Door?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 08:39:34 PM »

Back before I had BXVC, I had installed a camera (X10) in the garage. That's how I would check the garage door at bedtime, using a palmpad remote.

After I installed AHP and BXVC, I added a voice command macro. The macro required the camera be on (and displayed on the TV's). The camera macro would only allow the camera to stay on for a few sec's (it would automatically shut off), I had to "voice command" (NOT a transceived X10 code) the door closed during that "window" when the camera was on. This provided me with a safety, against accidental opening.

steven r's idea is great! I can add the garage door "check" into my talking clock macro (on the half hour). And even trigger the garage camera macro along with a voice announcement.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 06:32:42 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

azzar0

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 07:25:26 PM »

OK, I need help...
I got my universal modules today from X10. I wrote a macro that checks to see if the garage door is fully open (I use magnetic contacts / door sensor). If it is open then I make an announcement, turn on the chime, then turn on an appliance module (to give power to the UM506), and then turn on UM506. After a few seconds I turn the appliance module back off. The macro executes flawlessly, I hear the announcement, the chime, the appliance module clicks on, waits a few seconds, and then it turns itself off. Today I added UM506 into the mix as soon as I got it. I connected it to the garage door opener (in parallel with the push button), but it didn't work.
I bypassed the appliance module and connected UM506 directly to the push button contacts on the opener. When I did that, the push button no longer had power and I still couldn't control the garage door. My question is - how do I correctly install the UM506 so that I can still use the push button AND use the universal module to automatically close the door???
There are 2 connections on the garage door opener for the push button. I though if I take one wire from the UM506, connect it to one of the push button connections, then take the other wire from the universal module and connect it to the other connection of the push button it would work? But it doesn't. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 08:12:50 PM »

OK, I need help...
I got my universal modules today from X10. I wrote a macro that checks to see if the garage door is fully open (I use magnetic contacts / door sensor). If it is open then I make an announcement, turn on the chime, then turn on an appliance module (to give power to the UM506), and then turn on UM506. After a few seconds I turn the appliance module back off. The macro executes flawlessly, I hear the announcement, the chime, the appliance module clicks on, waits a few seconds, and then it turns itself off. Today I added UM506 into the mix as soon as I got it. I connected it to the garage door opener (in parallel with the push button), but it didn't work.
I bypassed the appliance module and connected UM506 directly to the push button contacts on the opener. When I did that, the push button no longer had power and I still couldn't control the garage door. My question is - how do I correctly install the UM506 so that I can still use the push button AND use the universal module to automatically close the door???
There are 2 connections on the garage door opener for the push button. I though if I take one wire from the UM506, connect it to one of the push button connections, then take the other wire from the universal module and connect it to the other connection of the push button it would work? But it doesn't. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have the UM506 slider switch set for momentary operation?  It sounds like the UM506 relay is remaining in the closed position.

Also, consider that with your original hookup - the UM506 powered through the Appliance Module - that if the AM removes power from the UM506 too soon, the UM506 relay will remain in whatever state it is in when its power is removed, even if it is set for momentary operation.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

azzar0

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 08:58:25 PM »

Got it... Thanks KDR and Tuicemen for talking it over with me. As it turns out the push button has a small circuit board with a led on it, which somehow prevents the UM from working. As soon as I took it out everything worked fine. I am now going to find a different push button, without a circuit board.
Thank You all for all your help.
Azzar0

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 08:26:38 PM »

Thanks Don.
I already have a door/window sensor on the garage door. A monitoring macro (which runs every half hour between 9 PM and midnight) announces through the speakers that the garage door is still open (with Bill's BXVC or x10dispatcher). I think all I need now is a universal module which I will connect ONLY TO THE CLOSE wire of the garage door opener. Is this true? I am assuming I can tell which one is the "CLOSE" wire on the garage door opener - correct?
Thanks,
Azzar0.

Can you digram out your monitoring macro . I've tried several different ones, and so far I haven't been able to get any to work for me.
Thanks,
Dan
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.