Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: using video with active home pro  (Read 18719 times)

dr_bob

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
using video with active home pro
« on: September 08, 2006, 11:06:16 AM »

I have just upgraded from the old active home to the pro. After a few false starts, everything finally worked. However, I would like to use the video capabilities but I don't have a va11a but I do have a video-usb converter that I have used in the past with my x10 cameras with other programs. Is it possible to use this converter with active home pro?

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: using video with active home pro
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 02:10:44 PM »

No.

X10 wants to lock you into using their hardware so instead of using readily available Windows video capture API's they copied a driver from Intel based on the chip they used in the VA11A and then wrote AHP to *REQUIRE* that driver be loaded before it will recognize any video capabilities.

I'm not even going to load AHP unless I want to set my CM15A to be an "all housecode" transceiver. I'm playing with the limited options available in Linux. Should be able to use any video capture device there. I already have a CM19A sending RF X10 commands to my RR501 transceiver so I should be able to use any video capture software and use the CM19A to turn the required cameras on/off.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 04:39:53 PM »

Actualy you don't need the Iwitness plugin or the VA11A to use your cams with ActiveHome Pro however if you wish to use the Iwitness plugin you need the VA11A. ;) You'll need third party software to do the capturing! ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 06:13:18 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Vinny516

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 03:14:28 PM »

"you don't need the Iwitness plugin or the VA11A to use your cams with Ativehome Pro" ?!?!?

How do you use them then?  If I install the VA11A drivers they only work for a short time and then they stop followed shortly by my computer BSODing (Blue Screen of Death - Windows basically giving up).  I know it is this driver because as soon as I uninstalled it my BSODs stopped.  So basically I have a couple of hundreds of  dollars worth of equipment I can't use (2 cameras, a video receiver, and a USB capture device).

How do I access the camera video without iWitness or installing the VA11A drivers?

Better yet how do I get my iWitness software to work without killing my Windows MCE computer?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 06:31:01 PM »

In order to capture video without iwitness you need different capture software.
The VA11A cature device will work with other software but other capture devices won't work with iWitness.
You could use windows movie maker although not the best!
Do a Google search for webcam software!
Ahp will turn cams on /off with out the plug-in you just specify them as appliance modules! ;) :D
I was doing this months before the plug-in was even in beta testing! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 10:45:53 PM »

Vinny516 -- Maybe I can help.  I had many problems with the iWitness software and associated components.  But now I have a very solid, stable system.  It's taken a lot of patience (several months) to get my cameras, motion sensors, VR31A (Audio/Video Receiver), VA11A drivers, RR501 transceivers, Macros, etc. all in tune to record video on my PC.  But it's possible.  And, for me, it works quite well ... no BSOD or crashes either.

My setup is an HP Windows XP system with one USB port for the CM15A and one for the VA11A.  The motion sensor (MS14A) sends an RF signal to the transceiver (RR501) which activates a Camera Control Macro.  The video is recorded on my PC.  At nighttime, the motion sensor also activates an exterior lamp.  I have two identical setups like this, one for the front entry and one for the patio entry.

One problem I had was getting the RF signals from the motion sensors to the PLC.  They had to go through one exterior wall and one interior wall.  Centrally locating the CM15A didn't work.  So using the RR501s solved that problem.  Finding the right place for the VR13A, while keeping it close to my computer was difficult too.  The signals from the cameras go through one interior wall to the VR13A.  I also had problems in getting a "good" copy of the VA11A driver.  I downloaded it from the X10 sight separately from when I downloaded the other plugins.  I installed a Phase Coupler.  I have a plug-in Filter on my TV and stereo equipment.  I don't have any other filters ... not even on any of my PC equipment.  My phone is 5.8 GHz and not 2.4 Ghz.

Hopefully, this is information will help you.  If you need more guidance, just ask questions and I will try and help you.  Good luck.       

mwcarlson1

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 10:09:45 PM »

Where can i get a "good" copy of the VA11A driver?  The CA506AV.Sys has a file version of 2.0.0.25, and the CA506AA.Sys has a file version of 5.0.2195.1.  In device manager under "Imaging devices",  it shows up as X10 VA11A Video Capture (using the first file above, however, file version of 2,0,0,55 it shows when I look at driver details for it).  Under "Sound, video and game controllers", the WDM Audio Capture lists the second file above with the same version.  Under "Universal Serial Bus controller", it lists "Intel PC Camera Pro" but with the Manufacturer listed as x10, driver provider as X10 with driver version to match that above as 2.0.0.25.

What i am having a problem with is getting the cameras to work in ActiveHome Pro (lastest updates).  I am
able to get the VA11A to work in XRay Vision just fine so I know that the cameras are working as well as the video receiver and the VA11A.  But when I click on "GO LIVE" in ActiveHome Pro (or when I try to add new camera - as I tried this, new ActiveHome layout), I get an error:

Active Home Professional has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

ActiveHome Pro closes  (after I click on Don't Send).  Reboot does not fix the problem. 

I have all the plugins (except for OnAlert), am using WinXP SP2 with all the updates, P4 2.8 GHz with
1 GB RAM.

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 10:29:40 AM »

Active Home Professional has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

ActiveHome Pro closes (after I click on Don't Send). Reboot does not fix the problem.

mwcarlson1 -- In AHP, look under Tools, Preferences, Video settings ... What Codec are you using?  I was using CinePak Codec by Radius and got the same error message as you are getting.  I changed the Codec to Microsoft Video 1 and this solved the problem.  Give it a try and see if it works for you.

waterstom

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 11:44:52 PM »

Don N -
THANKS!!!!!!  You inadvertantly solved MY problem.  I posted in another thread how after getting things up and running, they crashed hard.  I could load AHP and do module control, but as soon as I touched a camera, POW. the system hung (no error screens or BSODs to help) and I was forced to hard-reset.

For thrills, I changed the codec to the one you suggested, and I'm running fine now.

Tom

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.