Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Disarming DS7000 remotely?  (Read 223794 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: Disarming DS7000 remotely?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 06:30:43 PM »

Oops forgot to also ask does this unit also have a listen in feature??

Tcj

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006, 06:45:42 PM »

I don't think its the console as much as the remote with the RF problem. The furthest point from one door sensor to console is 55 feet. The door sensor registers with the console OK and with AHP. Using the keychain remote from the same spot won't get received. Either less power or antenna difference in the remote is what I suspect.

By the way I am using the X10 - DS10A window door sensors, not the ones that came with the 49-1000. Main reason is that they were already mounted.

Yes on the listen in feature. Was impressed how sensitive it was.

I found out after I purchased the unit that it had been a return to the store unit. There were 4 zones programmed and the factory pin number had been changed. Luckily on this board was a post on how to reset the pin to default and I also did a memory clear on the unit. So far all the features have worked. My guess would be someone returned it maybe because of a range problem?
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2006, 08:25:26 PM »

Well I guess I didn't see that, only thing is it's not very answering machine friendly though it answers after thirty seconds and can cut off your messages will try to post that information, probably would make your answering machine useless while you where away if that was important to you.

Please see: Getting the (TR551 or TR16A) to Cohabit Amicably With An Answering Machine
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 10:17:17 PM by TakeTheActive »
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 09:00:33 PM »

This information was originally posted in 1999 to the Circuit Cellar site but was never echoed properly to the comp.home.automation site except in very abreviated form.  I'm reposting it here, edited, since it is still timely if you're trying to use an X10 telephone module with an answering machine.

Thanks oldtimer!  Definitely worth a "Helpful" vote from me!!!  ;D

Also see: TTA's X10 Troubleshooting Tips Thread [Updated: 2006/10/08]  (Read 937 times)

Section #3. ;)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

tom j

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 01:24:58 AM »

I don't think its the console as much as the remote with the RF problem. The furthest point from one door sensor to console is 55 feet. The door sensor registers with the console OK and with AHP. Using the keychain remote from the same spot won't get received. Either less power or antenna difference in the remote is what I suspect.

By the way I am using the X10 - DS10A window door sensors, not the ones that came with the 49-1000. Main reason is that they were already mounted.

Yes on the listen in feature. Was impressed how sensitive it was.

I found out after I purchased the unit that it had been a return to the store unit. There were 4 zones programmed and the factory pin number had been changed. Luckily on this board was a post on how to reset the pin to default and I also did a memory clear on the unit. So far all the features have worked. My guess would be someone returned it maybe because of a range problem?

Are these the remotes that came with the unit? what about the old KR10a's x10 key chain remotes think you would get better range with them. Say Thanks for the feedback!!

Tcj

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 06:11:58 AM »

I tried the KR10A and had the same results, no signal getting to the unit. Before I change stuff or move things around I want to get a SH624 palm pad unit to try. Will order one soon. (was hoping to see a X10 special on them)

I know with the standard palm pad the range is better then the smaller remotes. My guess is antenna but have not opened one up to look at yet.

tom j

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 06:26:56 PM »

I tried the KR10A and had the same results, no signal getting to the unit. Before I change stuff or move things around I want to get a SH624 palm pad unit to try. Will order one soon. (was hoping to see a X10 special on them)

I know with the standard palm pad the range is better then the smaller remotes. My guess is antenna but have not opened one up to look at yet.

Got ta be the console then do you plan on doing a little surgery on it to check out the internal antenna? Read about very similar problems on the Radio Shack website I think that along with the flaky motion detectors were the main complaint. Just wondering why x10 just can't seem to get it right they always come so close but still manage to drop the ball in the end.

Tcj

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 06:47:39 PM »

I may go in and have a look to see what it has for an antenna. I did get 2 SH624's ordered today from Automatedoutlet for 8.95 each. Should have them by the weekend to try.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 08:11:20 PM by KDR »

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2006, 08:08:52 PM »

I may go in and have a look to see what it has for an antenna. I did get 2 HS624's ordered today from Automatedoutlet for 8.95 each. Should have them by the weekend to try.

Did you mean SH624?
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2006, 08:17:45 PM »

"YES"   Thanks Oldtimer...  I corrected my post. Sometimes the mind has no idea what the fingers are doing.

tom j

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 12:15:39 AM »

"YES"   Thanks Oldtimer...  I corrected my post. Sometimes the mind has no idea what the fingers are doing.

Let me know how it works out got a lot of extra stuff so I might put together a system for my sister. Seems like it could really be a nice setup with all the extra features wonder if x10 will ever introduce any of these on the PS561. Looking forward to hearing what you find out.

Tcj

p2459

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 07:49:01 PM »

If I understand correctly, remote arming and disarming of the DS7000 is not via encrypted rolling codes,
such as with other systems. If this is true, anyone could capture your frequency via an inexpensive code
grabber and disarm the system whenever they choose. How secure is that?

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 09:23:53 PM »

Well in most cases if someone is going to go to that much trouble, they will get in no matter what you have. I heard a long time ago that locks and alarms are to keep honest people honest. They won't stop a crook.

Once you get past the door and window sensors, you have to get past 2 moving sensors... Pippin my 125 lbs male and Kiska may 90 lbs female. these 2 have full run of the house. (they think they own it) thats why I can't have motion sensors.

p2459

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2006, 10:37:26 PM »

If you recall the older style garage door openers had the static (single code or frequency) but
they changed the technology years ago to a randomly fluctuating code and so have nearly all
car alarm manufacturers. It is really not all that difficult to acquire a frequency, and if a thief is
familiar with X10 single code technology and is aware you have a X10 system (maybe it was your
cable or satellite TV installer who noticed your $10,000 plasma TV) he can add you to his list.
It's a scary thought, but it could happen. Perhaps there is a way to add rolling code technology
to the X10 system.

tom j

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 06:31:01 PM »

If you recall the older style garage door openers had the static (single code or frequency) but
they changed the technology years ago to a randomly fluctuating code and so have nearly all
car alarm manufacturers. It is really not all that difficult to acquire a frequency, and if a thief is
familiar with X10 single code technology and is aware you have a X10 system (maybe it was your
cable or satellite TV installer who noticed your $10,000 plasma TV) he can add you to his list.
It's a scary thought, but it could happen. Perhaps there is a way to add rolling code technology
to the X10 system.

X10 needs to address this issue but won't unless we all make a big fuss about it being able to simply use a x10 remote to disable your security system is cause for real concern!

Tcj
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.