Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Homeseer  (Read 56034 times)

dipdog

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Homeseer
« on: September 18, 2006, 08:16:07 AM »

I recently switched my home automation software from an old version of ActiveHome to Homeseer.  I've mostly figured it out, and I like Homeseer because it has the "dim to 0%" option so you can fade lights in and out with older modules.  I've got a (hopefully) easy question.  With Activehome, there were always options in the menu for deleting and uploading macros and scheduled events to the interface so that scheduled events would be carried out, even when Activehome wasn't running, or when the computer was turned off.  I haven't been able to figure out how to do that on HomeSeer.  So far, I've always had to have Homeseer on and running for any scheduled events to run.  I'm figuring this is probably a simple thing.  Just hoping someone could let me know what I'm missing.

Thanx!
- Scott

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: Homeseer
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 09:09:30 AM »

Sorry I can't help you on this one but I was wondering what controller are you using?  Also what kind of review would you give HS?
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 09:16:22 AM »

I recently switched my home automation software from an old version of ActiveHome to Homeseer...

...With Activehome, there were always options in the menu for deleting and uploading macros and scheduled events to the interface so that scheduled events would be carried out, even when Activehome wasn't running, or when the computer was turned off.  I haven't been able to figure out how to do that on HomeSeer...

...I'm figuring this is probably a simple thing...

It is! You can't!!  ;D

The way that many / most of the advanced Home Automation software packages achieve their "higher intelligence" is by leveraging the power and memory capacity of the PC.  You may wish to investiage purchasing a new "inexpensive", older "cheap" laptop for the purpose (or you may even have one laying around). I used to run a CM11A/AH v1.32 on a Toshiba 430CDT P120 and a few years back picked up a pair of Toshiba 550CDTs P266 just for that purpose (one for Home Automation; one for E-Mail / Print Server).
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 12:46:54 PM »

dipdog

TakeTheActive is correct, Homeseer does not get "uploaded". Homeseer only uses the hardware "interface" (CM11, 1132 CU, etc) to monitor powerline for PLC codes and to get the PLC codes back on the powerline. Homeseer runs all the time so a dedicated computer is required.

KDR - Giant thumbs up!! Been automationg since 1987. Most recently with AHP and Smarthome Manager Plus. Homeseer is the best, most powerful and versetile I have seen to date....also a bit costly, but I like it very much.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 03:01:57 PM »

Next time I will use spell check.  :D

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 03:52:00 PM »

Next time I will use spell check.  :D

Did you reply to the correct thread?

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 12:01:02 PM »

Yes

Obviously, TTA, you can not spell automating or versatile any better than I.  ;D

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 12:50:07 PM »

Oh!  :o

Haven't you read one of those studies where they explain how the human mind 'transposes' text into what it ;expects to see'? I remember reading an article about a test with a paragraph composed of either many or all non-words and most folks had no trouble reading it. From my PERSONAL experience, as the years pile on, it gets easier and easier. The SPAMMERS do it quite often.  :P

A few weeks ago, I suggested to X10 Staff that they extend the timer between when a message is first posted and when any changes generate the "Edited by:" line. You see, for me, I experience random disconnects between the brain and the keyboard - the brain thinks one word, the eyes "see" that word, but the fingers type a different, although correctly spelled, word. Spellcheckers are of no help. I usually notice it shortly after I click on POST, but sometimes Charles has to point it out for me...

Soooo, instead of all this "gibber-gabber", why didn't you just click on MODIFY and correct the spelling errors "silently"?  ???

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 01:37:37 PM »

Haven't you read one of those studies where they explain how the human mind 'transposes' text into what it ;expects to see'? I remember reading an article about a test with a paragraph composed of either many or all non-words and most folks had no trouble reading it. From my PERSONAL experience, as the years pile on, it gets easier and easier. The SPAMMERS do it quite often.  :P

A few weeks ago, I suggested to X10 Staff that they extend the timer between when a message is first posted and when any changes generate the "Edited by:" line. You see, for me, I experience random disconnects between the brain and the keyboard - the brain thinks one word, the eyes "see" that word, but the fingers type a different, although correctly spelled, word. Spellcheckers are of no help. I usually notice it shortly after I click on POST, but sometimes Charles has to point it out for me...

Soooo, instead of all this "gibber-gabber", why didn't you just click on MODIFY and correct the spelling errors "silently"?  ???

Hmm... let's see.
   ... human mind 'transposes' text into what it ;expects to see'?

...I suggested to X10 Staff that they extend the timer between when ...

(This is all  :) )
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 03:03:41 PM »

Hmm... let's see.
   ... human mind 'transposes' text into what it ;expects to see'?

...I suggested to X10 Staff that they extend the timer between when ...

(This is all  :) )

[ Charles, what are all these capital As with a circumflex / caret above them supposed to be in your OS? Your posts are the only places I recall seeing them.]

Characters Ordered by Unicode : LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH CIRCUMFLEX , Acirc

Quote from: Cambridge University
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Or rather...

According to a researcher (sic) at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself but the word as a whole.

Reference 1

Quote from: New Scientist
This reminds me of my PhD at Nottingham University (1976), which showed that randomising letters in the middle of words had little or no effect on the ability of skilled readers to understand the text. Indeed one rapid reader noticed only four or five errors in an A4 page of muddled text.

This is easy to denmtrasote. In a puiltacibon of New Scnieitst you could ramdinose all the letetrs, keipeng the first two and last two the same, and reibadailty would hadrly be aftcfeed. My ansaylis did not come to much beucase the thoery at the time was for shape and senqeuce retigcionon. Saberi's work sugsegts we may have some pofrweul palrlael prsooscers at work.

The resaon for this is suerly that idnetiyfing coentnt by paarllel prseocsing speeds up regnicoiton. We only need the first and last two letetrs to spot chganes in meniang.

This was not easy to type!

Reference 2

Quote from: Microsoft Corporation
Introduction

Evidence from the last 20 years of work in cognitive psychology indicate that we use the letters within a word to recognize a word. Many typographers and other text enthusiasts I’ve met insist that words are recognized by the outline made around the word shape. Some have used the term bouma as a synonym for word shape, though I was unfamiliar with the term. The term bouma appears in Paul Saenger’s 1997 book Space Between Words: The Origins of Silent Reading. There I learned to my chagrin that we recognize words from their word shape and that “Modern psychologists call this image the ‘Bouma shape.’”

Reference 3

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 03:10:14 PM »

Are you kidding me? This is serious! Or, what psychologists have to say about writing e-mail

Quote from: Cognitive Daily
A team led by Justin Kruger conducted a series of experiments on how we perceive each other's intentions in e-mail, and their findings do have some relevance to Scalzi's claims. One common problem in e-mails is deciding whether your correspondent is being serious or sarcastic. Taking Scalzi's example, most readers will realize that one of his observations was sarcastic: your IQ doesn't literally decrease when you make a spelling error. But what about the advice given by the aptly-named blogger Grumpy old Bookman, who in response to the much-hyped controversy over fabrications in James Frey's memoir, suggested that authors literally make everything up, taking no inspiration from the real world? Most commenters to that post clearly thought he was being serious, but I have little doubt that the post was intended to be sarcasm (I also think he anticipated that many readers wouldn't "get it" -- and that was part of the joke).

Reference

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 03:22:40 PM »

Uhhhh, attempt at mild humor??.... I thought it was funny.
You need to quit working on those silent chime modules, cuz its makin you grumpy. ;)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 04:27:03 PM »

[ Charles, what are all these capital As with a circumflex / caret above them supposed to be in your OS? Your posts are the only places I recall seeing them.]

Characters Ordered by Unicode : LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH CIRCUMFLEX , Acirc

For whatever reason they're being sent by an old version of the Opera browser on one of my systems.  I don't see them in the Preview.  I'll have to avoid using that browser for this forum.

[Edited]
Hmm..  This and the above was sent from the latest Opera browser on Win XP.  I don't see the A circumflex in either the Preview or actual posted message with this browser, but I do see it if I read the message on the old Opera.  Very strange - it seems to appear when there are more than two space characters in a row, like here (maybe) "        ".

[Edited again]
Now I'm reading and writing this note in Firefox under Linux and I don't even see the A circumflex characters.  Testing again "       ".

[Edited again]
The A circumflex characters disappeared after the above edit.  Will this old Opera put them back? "       ".  Yep, in the previous lines but not for this new entry in the Preview.  Weird.

[Edited yet again]:  PLEASE LEAVE THIS MESSAGE HERE FOR AWHILE - I"VE REPORTED THE PROBLEM TO OPERA AND WANT TO GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO SEE IT.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 05:44:34 PM by Charles Sullivan »
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.