Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you want to be able to Disarm your system via a Macro?

Via Local Macros or MyHouse
- 52 (69.3%)
Local Macros or Timer only
- 14 (18.7%)
Do NOT want it
- 5 (6.7%)
Don't Care
- 4 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Disarming via a macro? Where are the macro commands to do this?  (Read 107002 times)

cealbrecht

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Disarming via a macro? Where are the macro commands to do this?
« on: September 18, 2006, 11:52:29 PM »

If we get enough positive results, we'll add it to the code.  I'll run this poll for a couple of weeks to see what kind of feedback we get.  Please post your thoughts if you are passionate about the issue one way or another.

Thanks,

Chris.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 07:10:32 PM by CLacina »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Disarming via a macro? Where are the macro commands to do this?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 05:13:13 AM »

I want to disarm my protector plus for short periods by simply pressing a button or setting a timer.(such as a ten minute delay to leave the house in the morning, or a 20 minute time slot when I expect my children to arrive home from school).  It would be nice to be able to put the disarm command into a macro and set timers.  My system only shows the arming commands under the security dropdown in the macro generator.

Am I missing something?

I understand the decision was made by X-10 not to allow disarming the system by the PC.  It was felt this would be a security risk since it could be done over the internet by a hacker and leave the house unprotected.

Why not use one specific remote to disarm the system, then have the Disarm signal from that remote trigger a macro which will re-arm the system after the selected period of time.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

cealbrecht

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 07:21:57 AM »

I wanted to be able to arm and disarm or change the alarm state depending on the time of day/week/holiday etc.  This would be a good reason for X10 to allow the macros to be saved to the AHP module.  Once saved to the module, the computer can be disconnected from the security system, but I would have a very sophisticated, personalized security system that would rival most professionally installed ones.

Any thoughts from the guys at X10?

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 01:22:11 PM »

I wanted to be able to arm and disarm or change the alarm state depending on the time of day/week/holiday etc.  This would be a good reason for X10 to allow the macros to be saved to the AHP module.  Once saved to the module, the computer can be disconnected from the security system, but I would have a very sophisticated, personalized security system that would rival most professionally installed ones.

Any thoughts from the guys at X10?

If by "allow the macros to be saved to the AHP module"  you mean downloading a security macro to the CM15A memory for operation while disconnected from the PC, the chances of that happening are nil - the CM15A firmware doesn't support it.  I could see it happening if X-10 ever decides to design an upgraded product, the "CM16A" as it were.

X-10 could conceivably (although improbably) be convinced to allow disarming from the PC.   That's strictly a software function, requiring only an upgrade to the OnAlert plug-in.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

klawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 05:48:37 PM »

I also have spoken with X-10 peoples via email and phone asking for this feature. Arming and Disarming via macros/and timers is paramount. What is home automation without complete automation? Setting the alarm via a timer or macro is a secondary defence just in-case some one forgot to hit the arm button via remote when leaving, and having the ability to disarm via a macro or timer is just another part of the puzzle of complete home automation.

Just my thoughts, and please VOTE above....

Kirk

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 06:12:47 PM »

If we get enough positive results, we'll add it to the code.  I'll run this poll for a couple of weeks to see what kind of feedback we get.  Please post your thoughts if you are passionate about the issue one way or another.

Thanks,

Chris.

I have a professionally installed and monitored security system at my house.  But if I did have an X-10 system I think I'd be a little nervous knowing that some hacker could possibly disarm my system remotely over the Internet.  I know a lot of people would like to have the disarm feature so I'm voting for adding it to OnAlert for macro and timers.  However if the consensus is to allow disarming over the Internet,  I'd also like to see a way of globally enabling/disabling this feature which could only be done from the PC and not over the Internet.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 06:16:08 PM by Charles Sullivan »
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

klawrence

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 10:29:04 PM »

Excellent point, I do agree with you, and I have changed my vote accordingly to not allow the system to be disarmed over the internet. Although I do want to say that a hacker would have to know where you live, and whether you had an X-10 system or not, hack the system ID, then hack the password (hopefully it is a strong password}, and then disarm the system. Then take the risk that the x-10 system is the only security system. Get past the camera's and then hope that there is not a macro that emails the owner that the system was disarmed. Remote at best, but still a viable risk that should be addressed.  I would like to see the ability to disarm the system via macros or timers though allowing for greater automation.  Also I want to point out that I nor anyone should not rely on the X-10 security system to be a primary security system, only a supplement to an existing hard wired monitored system.  I know that this seems like overkill, but with the flexable automation and the ability to customize the AHP system with marcos I do feel that it could,  in time and with continued refinement,  surpass conventional systems. I do not think that the x-10 security system is bug free enough to be a primary security system yet, getting close, but not yet.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 10:43:49 PM »

Excellent point, I do agree with you, and I have changed my vote accordingly to not allow the system to be disarmed over the internet. Although I do want to say that a hacker would have to know where you live, and whether you had an X-10 system or not, hack the system ID, then hack the password (hopefully it is a strong password}, and then disarm the system. Then take the risk that the x-10 system is the only security system. Get past the camera's and then hope that there is not a macro that emails the owner that the system was disarmed. Remote at best, but still a viable risk that should be addressed.  I would like to see the ability to disarm the system via macros or timers though allowing for greater automation.  Also I want to point out that I nor anyone should not rely on the X-10 security system to be a primary security system, only a supplement to an existing hard wired monitored system.  I know that this seems like overkill, but with the flexable automation and the ability to customize the AHP system with marcos I do feel that it could,  in time and with continued refinement,  surpass conventional systems. I do not think that the x-10 security system is bug free enough to be a primary security system yet, getting close, but not yet.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

cealbrecht

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 10:45:10 PM »

I would be happy to disarm the system with the use of macros and timers.  I can always set my permissions to execute the disarm macro over the internet if I found the need to do so.  I am more concerned by stupid common criminals than I am with a smart hacker.  If someone were smart enough to hack into my computer and disarm my alarm, he should be smart enough to know that he may need to hack his way past a couple of big dogs and my Glock 17.  Something the common criminals don't seem to take into account.  In a way, my alarm system and all of the great automation will most likely save the life of anyone who is brazen enough to consider breaking  into my home.

I think x-10 should allow the customer full automation of everything they purchase, whether they think it is safe or not.  It is the buyer's responsibility to be prepared for all scenearios.  What if there is an extended power outage in the home?  Essentially, all of the sirens and flashing lights have been taken off-line...all automation has been disabled.  The buyers need to consider this and have battery backup on system critical devices and home generators, cell phones, etc and if that isn't feasible...some dogs and a gun.

Grandpa David

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 09:08:10 AM »

After a week of thought on this, I'm still of the opinion that it should be my choice to be able to disarm via whatever method, perhaps selecting the disarm macros only from the pc that AHP is installed on and with password protection.  I would find it very useful to set the system to disarm from 11a.m. to 1p.m. to allow someone in to let the pets out, etc. and not to have to give out a remote.

compunerdy

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 11:58:32 AM »

I vote to atleast give us the option. You asked now lets see some action.

E

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 12:41:18 PM »

I would like the option.  Perhaps to appease both sides of the issue, X10 could make it an user controllable option allowing users to disarm the system from MyHouse.

twalls

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 10:13:18 PM »

I am relatively new to this but may have a partial solution to this problem. I set my alarm to activate onlywhen a certain module is in the off position. I used a table lamp to be the must be off module for the alarm to initiate the macro that turns on the power horn. with the remote I can then "turn off the alarm"from a key chain remote simply by turning off the table lamp and stopping the macro from running

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 10:48:22 PM »

I have never been able to arm my console other than with the security remote.  Of course the ability to disarm would be great too!

Jeff619

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 05:26:08 AM »

When I purchased this plug-in I thought it had this function. I am really disappointed that it was left out. I hope an update will correct this soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.