💬General Category > General Discussion

[MEMBERS SPLIT] What Was Your FIRST Impression of the Results Returned From the SEARCH Function?

(1/2) > >>

steven r:
I mostly end up using search to find something I remember seeing but not where. Generally in that case I'm looking with minimum information and typically get a long list of "hits" that I have to manually look through.

Not sure about the archiving idea. If post information was truly outdated, then yes. The problem is that I've seen updates that didn't fix a problem. Also while I can't think of a case right now, what about if a problem were to reappear in a future software release. It would be nice to go back and be able to find the original posting of the problem.

Bottom line if it speeds up the search for accurate information it has merit but their should still be a way to search the achieves. If it is felt that the archives could be a source of incorrect information, then post a "Search At Your Own Risk This Information Is Dated Possibly Not Relevant To The Current Release" warning.

steven r:

--- Quote from: Otis69 on September 22, 2006, 09:40:35 AM ---...I was right. X10 is more fun than eating SPAM

--- End quote ---
I enjoy my X10 stuff also but just about anything is better than eating spam so that's not saying much.  :)
Perhaps it would be more correct to say "X10 is fun in spite of the spam and popups."

TakeTheActive:

--- Quote from: steven r on September 22, 2006, 08:34:29 AM ---I mostly end up using search to find something I remember seeing but not where. Generally in that case I'm looking with minimum information and typically get a long list of "hits" that I have to manually look through.
--- End quote ---

But, you see, you're giving your impression of your CURRENT Seaches and not your *FIRST* Search. You've been a Member for quite some time and you've "learned your way around ", giving you a big advantage over a first-time visitor. My question came about from watching GUESTS throughout the day via the Who's Online screen and then randomly viewing what THEY were viewing. IMO, there are some VERY GOOD Subject Titles that lead to some VERY BAD (i.e. out-dated, etc...) threads and I'm trying to come with a solution to improve that situation.

--- Quote from: steven r on September 22, 2006, 08:34:29 AM ---Not sure about the archiving idea. If post information was truly outdated, then yes. The problem is that I've seen updates that didn't fix a problem. Also while I can't think of a case right now, what about if a problem were to reappear in a future software release. It would be nice to go back and be able to find the original posting of the problem.

Bottom line if it speeds up the search for accurate information it has merit but their should still be a way to search the achieves. If it is felt that the archives could be a source of incorrect information, then post a "Search At Your Own Risk This Information Is Dated Possibly Not Relevant To The Current Release" warning.
--- End quote ---

The AVS Forum that I visit has two "Archived Messages" forums in addition to the current "Active Messages" forum:

* AVS Forums Active - ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs
* AVS Forums Archive 1 - ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs
* AVS Forums Archive 2 - ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Using AVS's technique, each "Site" is independent of the other, thus the SEARCHes are also independent. In addition, the ARCHIVE sites are [READ ONLY], which IMO, is a GREAT IDEA!

Charles Sullivan:
TTA,
I'm afraid I disagree. 

Sure, first time searchers may get old information, but there's no guarantee that new posts are more accurate than old posts.

Using the Advanced search allows confining the search to recent posts, and I for one would find it annoying to have to search multiple archives instead of one big forum.  PLUS, if the archives are read-only, a very inaccurate post which happens to have a "good" subject line (as you've described) could mislead a lot of people time after time with no chance of it ever being corrected.

KDR:
I agree with Charles, we need to keep the database as a whole. Maybe you could lock old outdated posts so you couldn't add to them, even move them to a new location (Outdated Posts) but still searchable within this database. A warning label telling people the information is or may not be current should do the trick.

Another thought if the software would allow it would be to add a marker of some sort to all the old posts that are outdated and then add a search option in advanced search that would search just for the marker, search everything without the marker or search both. It then becomes the job of the CO's to add the marker to post that are outdated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version