Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What Happened to the LM14A (2-Way Lamp module 2-pin)?  (Read 18505 times)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: What Happened to the LM14A (2-Way Lamp module 2-pin)?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 12:30:36 PM »

Okay, so for example if I set a dimming level of 50% on a lamplinc module from AHP it won't do it?  Sorry, I'm a bit confused about that.  :-\

Sorry if I confused you.  In addition to the Extended Code and Preset Dims, there are also the standard X10 Dims & Brightens.  With the first two (and a compatible module) you can turn on a lamp directly to a specified level.  With the standard Dims, the lamp is first turned On to full brightness then dimmed to the specified level.  All lamp dimmer modules, whether LM14A or LampLinc or standard X-10 Lamp Modules, respond to the standard Dims.

Note however that the percentage brightness level is calibrated only for X-10 products.  You will usually have to use a different percentage to set a lamp controlled by a LampLinc to the same visible brightness as the same lamp controlled by an X-10 module.

Thanks for the clarity. So if I got this right, if I use AHP to dim a light say to 30%, using a Lamplinc, it won't recognize the command?  And this is becuase the lamplinc does not recognize those "extended codes" sent out by AHP when dimming etc.?

It depends how you define your LampLinc for ActiveHome Pro.

If you define your LampLinc as an LM14A (by dragging the LM14A icon into the room), AHP will use the Extended Code commands which the LampLinc does not support, so the command won't be recognized.  However if you define the LampLinc as a standard X10 Lamp Module like the LM465, then AHP will use the standard X10 Dim and Bright commands which the LampLinc does support.   But you will find that the visible brightness of a lamp connected to a LampLinc will be different than  that of a lamp connected to a LM465 for the same percentage brightness, so you'll have to adjust the percentage.

There will be some other differences, e.g., an LM465 in the dimmed state will not change if it receives an AllLightsOn command, whereas a LampLinc will go to full brightness.  So the state of the lamp as displayed by AHP will be incorrect.  Similarly, a LampLinc can be manually configured to resume its previous brightness level when turned On after having been turned Off.  So a LampLinc thus configured will be displayed in AHP as fully On whereas the actual lamp will be dimmed.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

DowNet

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 12:44:01 PM »

It depends how you define your LampLinc for ActiveHome Pro.

If you define your LampLinc as an LM14A (by dragging the LM14A icon into the room), AHP will use the Extended Code commands which the LampLinc does not support, so the command won't be recognized.  However if you define the LampLinc as a standard X10 Lamp Module like the LM465, then AHP will use the standard X10 Dim and Bright commands which the LampLinc does support.   But you will find that the visible brightness of a lamp connected to a LampLinc will be different than  that of a lamp connected to a LM465 for the same percentage brightness, so you'll have to adjust the percentage.

There will be some other differences, e.g., an LM465 in the dimmed state will not change if it receives an AllLightsOn command, whereas a LampLinc will go to full brightness.  So the state of the lamp as displayed by AHP will be incorrect.  Similarly, a LampLinc can be manually configured to resume its previous brightness level when turned On after having been turned Off.  So a LampLinc thus configured will be displayed in AHP as fully On whereas the actual lamp will be dimmed.

Ah-ha!  Now I fully understand. :)  Thanks much Charles in your explanation regarding this (you earned a "helpful" link click by me).   All in all I hope that X10 works out their LM14A stock soon. :-\

ekb

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 06:45:51 PM »

What happened to the LM465 modules that would let you smoothly dim the lights up and down using the dim controls.

The new ones I just bought dim the lights all the way up or down with the on/off buttons and all the dim buttons do is adjust the brightness to internally preset levels in a very jerky or spasmodic manner. I also dislike not being able to instantly turn the lights all the way off or on like I used to.

What's the point of an on/off buttons that aren't  on/off buttons, but are actually an extra set of  dimmer buttons?

Anyway, does anyone know where I can buy some old-style LM465s or if any other company makes modules that are compatible with X10 remotes and work like the old-style 465s.

Thanks

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 07:27:18 PM »

What happened to the LM465 modules that would let you smoothly dim the lights up and down using the dim controls.

The new ones I just bought dim the lights all the way up or down with the on/off buttons and all the dim buttons do is adjust the brightness to internally preset levels in a very jerky or spasmodic manner. I also dislike not being able to instantly turn the lights all the way off or on like I used to.

What's the point of an on/off buttons that aren't  on/off buttons, but are actually an extra set of  dimmer buttons?

Anyway, does anyone know where I can buy some old-style LM465s or if any other company makes modules that are compatible with X10 remotes and work like the old-style 465s.

Thanks
New LM465s have the "soft start"  feature which takes about two seconds to bring the bulb from OFF to 100% and about the same amount time when turning OFF again. The feature should extend bulb life, and adds a bit of ambiance I suppose. All LM465 from X10 are the new type. You might try eBay for the older design. Unfortunately X10 made the change without any model number change or a firmware revision indication. So I don't know how you could guarentee getting the old units.

If you find other branded lamp modules such as RCA, Magnavox, Stanley, or First Alert, they will be the old design. X10 also has a "$50 bundle of RCA moduels on their site. I think it is three lamp modules, three appliance modules and two wall switch modules for $50. They will be the old design.

Good luck
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 08:08:16 PM »

The features are also mixed. My new Lamp modules; I got a few weeks ago are the old style no soft start. While some have gotten the new ones with soft start months ago.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 12:39:59 PM »

Well ekb, based on Brians findings, unless you know someone at X10 who will take a trip down the basement to find you some "old stuff" your only choice might be to try and source the "rebranded" lamp modules. Try searching eBay for "First Alert" or "RCA"  "X10 lamp module" and see if anything pops up.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 06:18:19 PM »

The Black and Decker FWLR  lamp modules also work fine and may also be found in close out deals. Even have knobs you can grab to set them and no screwdriver needed. Note they also have a fuse in them. So if overloaded; the load is disconnected from the circuit.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 08:45:01 AM »

The features are also mixed. My new Lamp modules; I got a few weeks ago are the old style no soft start. While some have gotten the new ones with soft start months ago.

Did you get these lamp modules directly from X10???   In other words, is X10 itself sending out a mix of random new and old style lamp modules to fill orders?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 12:14:51 PM »

Yes it was less than a month ago and had a very recent date code. Was part of the new Timer Kit with the LCD version Mini-Timer.
There is a thread on date codes and what seems to be old and new. Version of hardware does not change at a certain date code.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.