Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Should Newbies That Invest No Time What-So-Ever SEARCHing The Forums...

YES
NO
DEPENDS - Each situation needs to be evaluated separately [Please explain in a post]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Should Newbies That Invest No Time What-So-Ever SEARCHing The Forums...  (Read 87497 times)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

...Be Given The Same Courtesy & Help as Those Who Register, READ (hours / days / weeks / etc...), and *THEN* Ask Questions?

Example (actual data, but name changed):

Name:Joe Newbie
Position:Newbie
Post rating: +0/-0
Date Registered:Today at 16:25:58
Last Active:Today at 16:33:34

Quote from: Joe Newbie [b
« on: Today at 16:33:34 »[/b]]
I need...  Can someone help?-
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Should Newbies That Invest No Time What-So-Ever SEARCHing The Forums...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 12:40:14 AM »

I think you are being too picky.

You were a newby once.

Sometimes I get the impression that you being a CO has increased your hat size.   No offense intended.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 01:23:12 AM »

Sometimes I get the impression that you being a CO has increased your hat size.   No offense intended.

IMO, there are certain comments that should be reserved for PMs.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 06:21:53 PM by TakeTheActive »

hocuspocus

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 01:53:38 AM »

I think there should be a poll on the public debate - Yes/No :) 

Anyhow, I feel it depends on the situation.  A lot of times people do not understand the search function or realize its power.  I give credit to any user reaching out and actually using the forum, but I do believe the user should be politely directed to the search function along with a simplified answer to their question if possible.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 02:33:50 AM »

IMO, I think we need to cut the newbies some slack.

From my observation, most newbies expect that the forum is a direct link to X10 technical support.  They feel that they have purchased a product that doesn't work as advertised and that they are owed a solution and think that posting anywhere in the forum is the same as "chatting" with a technical support representative.

I think we should politely answer them or direct them to the appropriate information.

I know it gets tedious answering the same question over and over and over again, but no one is forcing you to answer anyway!

So, if you want to help, be patient and helpful.  If it gets to be too much trouble, let someone with more patience deal with it.

Just my two-cents.   ;)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 03:55:23 AM »

I think a newbie is just that, someone who has just purchased X10 gear, received it in the mail, ripped the box open and hooked up the stuff. Couldn't get it working, now reads the instructions that came with the stuff, maybe got half of it working, and wants the rest working as fast as possible. They find the boards from the X10 site and come here and register. (A Newbie Is Born)

Some of them search and find what they need, some search and find nothing because they don't really know what to search for and others post right away because they want specific answers right away... not read through tons of posts. Their in a hurry and want the new toys to work right now. The one thing they all have in common is they came here, good or bad they learned something and from that they all have a change to become like Bill, TTA, Dan, Charles, and all the other great people that help over and over again. Thats my two cents.

(With Bills 2 cents and my 2 cents we now have 4 cents.)
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 07:25:46 AM »

A new user; many times may ask the same questions we answer everyday. Sometime it takes extra patience to keep answering the same questions. I SYSOP on a Vintage Computer BB and manytime we get the same questions so here is not unique.
I know the new users data is a big help, but many new users don't use it. If we want to keep a user and make them more knowledgeable. We should just send them the needed data and in a nice way show them the readmes and help files.
If we offend them or make them feel dumb. They may not return and that is a loss for everybody.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 09:14:24 AM »

I tend to to agree with the sentiments of Bill, KDR & Brian.

Newbies get frustrated when things don't work like the perfect image the $49.95 pop up gave them. Even I get frustrated when something that worked fine for over a year decides it's not going to work right. i.e. I had a signal everywhere in the house one day and now I don't. Still working on finding the cause and I think I know all the possible problems.
An educated newbie can be one of our greatest assets on this board. So I favor a guiding hand rather than a scolding hand even if that means repeating myself multiple times. I just try to find a creative way to say things each time.

Charging Brian 2 cents for his comment  ;) and adding my 2 cents to Bill's and KDR's means we have 8 cents now. Almost a dime!
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 11:31:46 AM »

I still know what it's like being a newbie.

Had I been required to register first before posting my first question, I would have because to me my question was important.

I was confused and unfamiliar with the forum and search function.

Even though my question might have been seen as stupid and already asked numerous times by other stupid people.

Brian H, took the time and effort to give me an answer. Something I'll always be thankful for.

People like Brian H and others who guided me made all the difference with experiencing X10.
Yeah ! That includes you TTA.

So, Bless you all that give the time and effort to helping newbies get their feet wet.
Keep up this good work.
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 08:17:23 PM »

Newbies are Not always  new to x10 but new to the forum and its layout!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 01:00:29 PM »

What is the point of the question/suvey?

Isn't it more or less up the the poster who elects to take the time to answer a repeating newbie question?

I tend to ignore the newbies who start out with a lot of whining and bashing, I will try and help steer a newbie where it appears the newbie is at least trying.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 03:21:01 PM »

Post that start off with alot of whining and bashing usually comes from frustration [/b] [/color] (those who have spent some time trying to get their system running) ;) :D Some you can convince other wise by helping, some you can't ::) ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 06:36:28 PM »

I've read *SEVERAL* posts lately from NEWBIEs that:

• REGISTER
  • ASK
  • LOGOFF
[/color][/size][/b]
all within the span of a few minutes. :(

So, personally, whether I know the answer not, I don't reply. IMHO, 'No Effort' invested upfront deserves 'No Effort' returned.

But, I've also recently read this interesting post:

Quote from: ANONYMOUS

As far as the Newbees Posting issue I have to say that quite honestly I am overwhelmed by the amount of information available in the forums. Each product I have has its little quirks then add to that the individual circumstances of each persons home or apt wiring, walls, ect. and you have a huge system of variables. So as I have done in the past searching for hours may not produce something that may apply to MY circumstance although it is a frequently asked question. Perhaps a revamp of the search engine in someway?[/b] (TTA NOTE: Not going to happen any time soon.)  All I know personally is that the answers to most common question are here but it is MORE OF AN EFFORT TO FIND THEM THAN TO POST IT AGAIN and the real issue is that most people are going to take the easy way out........ but I must say that the few times I have asked questions the replies have been courteous and helpfull so thank you to those with patients....[/size]

"...but it is MORE OF AN EFFORT TO FIND THEM THAN TO POST IT AGAIN and the real issue is that most people are going to take the easy way out..."

Is this *REALLY* a VALID reason to take "...the easy way out..." ?  ??? :(  [Comments encouraged!]

[Please view: MORE STATS: Most Time Online]

Quote from: ANONYMOUS

The problem is that I received the hardware in the mail very quickly but they only sent me a link to  download the macro program. I called, e-mailed, chatted asking for the remainder of my order but NOTHING...... NO reply to MY E-MAILS the person on the phone said she would send the link via my e-mail NOTHING...

Newbies get frustrated when things don't work like the perfect image the $49.95 pop up gave them. Even I get frustrated when something that worked fine for over a year decides it's not going to work right. i.e. I had a signal everywhere in the house one day and now I don't. Still working on finding the cause and I think I know all the possible problems.

An educated newbie can be one of our greatest assets on this board. So I favor a guiding hand rather than a scolding hand even if that means repeating myself multiple times. I just try to find a creative way to say things each time.

I also favor informing NEWBIEs that, for the past several months, VOLUNTEERS have been the *SOLE* source of Tech Support here.

Be patient someone using multiview will responded it may take up to a week! ;) :D
More of the regular posters are ones using the ActiveHome Pro (AHP) software !
 AHP will do what you want! But you'll need the plug-ins iWitness & Myhouse Online
 I can't comment on multiview or the pan&tilt software as I've never used it!

Since it appears that SOMEONE is reading this thread (Should Newbies That Invest No Time What-So-Ever SEARCHing The Forums...  (Read 920 times)), I felt it appropriate that I add my recent comments here...

My personal thanks, in advance, to the NEWBIEs that at least invest some time SEARCHing *BEFORE* ASKing...

[NOTE: All formatting in the Anonymous QUOTE is mine... Current Count: 49 DINGs]

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 07:32:29 PM »

Is this *REALLY* a VALID reason to take "...the easy way out..." ?     [Comments encouraged!]

I agree with what your saying TTA.
I do find myself more & more first looking at a new person's time online to see if they were here long enough to put forth an effort to find their own answers. I also look at the who's online screen often to see where the newbies are looking. Then when they do ask a question, I try to use this info to influence my response. But sometimes I do slip  ::) Hence the reference today to the old Kung-fu show.  ;)

I'm learning from you.  :)

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 11:01:30 PM »

Thinking back, I remember how confused and frustrated I got trying to set up my system.

;D Thankfully, there were those on the forum that took the time & patience to answer me although my questions were asked & answered many times before. The patient guidance of these persons is the reason I'm a happy X10er today. ;D

Just remember that it's entirely up to us, the members whether we decide to post a reply or not.
It wasn't long ago that I and others answered a question where the poster ; Let's just say that mackie1604 registered on Oct 9th posted 4 times and hasn't been back since Oct 14th. I can only suppose that the forum members did such a great job of answering this persons posts that they don't need us anymore.  ;D ;D ;D GREAT JOB GANG ! 8) ;)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:38:55 PM by Duck69 »
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.