Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Waiting, Waiting, Waiting, Waiting for Signal  (Read 40725 times)

csul06

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Waiting, Waiting, Waiting, Waiting for Signal
« on: October 07, 2006, 04:12:53 PM »

X10 has given me return authorization for OnAlert and the supplied devices without trying to understand why this does not work for me.  I thought I would pitch out my problem to you folks and see if anyone had a clue as to what is going on.  Here goes...I installed the OnAlert plugin and followed the setup for the window/door sensor as instructed.  After countless attempts to get it properly recognized by AHP (that is the Waiting for Signal to go away), I'm giving up.  The odd thing is that it registers somewhere in the software because you can see it assigned when you view FIND OTHER COMPUTERS.  I can virtually put it where ever I want it by changing the monitored house code.  Just short of uninstalling everything and reinstalling the whole system like someone else did, I might spend a little more time trying to troubleshoot it.  I suppose the product is so new, there is not much information to piece together.  Any thoughts what might be happening to prevent the security devices from completing their configuration would be welcome and appreciated.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Waiting, Waiting, Waiting, Waiting for Signal
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 04:37:52 PM »

X10 has given me return authorization for OnAlert and the supplied devices without trying to understand why this does not work for me.  I thought I would pitch out my problem to you folks and see if anyone had a clue as to what is going on.  Here goes...I installed the OnAlert plugin and followed the setup for the window/door sensor as instructed.  After countless attempts to get it properly recognized by AHP (that is the Waiting for Signal to go away), I'm giving up.  The odd thing is that it registers somewhere in the software because you can see it assigned when you view FIND OTHER COMPUTERS.  I can virtually put it where ever I want it by changing the monitored house code.  Just short of uninstalling everything and reinstalling the whole system like someone else did, I might spend a little more time trying to troubleshoot it.  I suppose the product is so new, there is not much information to piece together.  Any thoughts what might be happening to prevent the security devices from completing their configuration would be welcome and appreciated.

Does the splash screen displayed when AHP starts up show OnAlert as being a registered plugin?

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

csul06

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 07:01:54 PM »

Yep, including the about box under the plugin menu.  The first version I was given would not install because the software said there was a newer version available.  I contacted customer support and was given an updated version that installed successfully (at least without errors).  Everything is stamped 9/11/2006 version 3.206.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 07:12:28 PM »

Could your CM15A be defective - does it properly receive non-security X10 RF signals, e.g., from a PalmPad?

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 07:33:13 PM »

You might try locating the computer as far away from the CM15A as possible.  Either that or my attached PDA (Dell Axim) was interferring with my installation and configuration.  Now I have three times the RF range (about 30+ feet) using my SH624 (remote for the security console).  Hope this simple move will help.

csul06

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 08:19:23 PM »

About the best distance I could get was about 10 feet.  No luck.  I removed the module, changed the monitored house code to N, and still the same problem. Waiting...waiting...waiting... Looking at the screen to FIND OTHER COMPUTERS, N2 greened up and when I hover over it with the cursor, the module is properly identified but the orther icon still shows the INSTALL watermark.

Regarding the other question about other types of non-security devices, I am not sure how I would recognize them.  There are a bunch of codes to avoid from unknown origins, so I guess those were it.  The built in activity monitor only shows X10 devices and macros (no filters unchecked).

Thanks.  Maybe I should have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 09:29:17 PM »

Try "Hardware Configuration" and click all house codes under "specific".  I know you are frustrated but this might have been another thing I did to allow the installation.  It was an ordeal for me I know.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 10:06:30 PM »

Regarding the other question about other types of non-security devices, I am not sure how I would recognize them.  There are a bunch of codes to avoid from unknown origins, so I guess those were it.  The built in activity monitor only shows X10 devices and macros (no filters unchecked).

If you have any other X10 RF remotes, like a HR12A "PalmPad" or a SS13A "Stick-a-Switch", see if the CM15A Activity Monitor displays a received RF signal when you press one of the remote's buttons, like "A1 On".   If not, it's likely you have a defective CM15A.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

csul06

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 11:06:39 PM »

It is looking like the CM15A has a problem.  I cannot get the stick on switches to work.  I unplugged  a couple of TM751s and a RR501 and things are pretty dead.  Oddly, the DS10A will still register on the X10 Code Usage but it will not complete the installation.  I guess no point troubleshooting any more until I get this unit replaced.  Thanks for the advice and I will post the outcome soon.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 11:32:10 PM »

It is looking like the CM15A has a problem.  I cannot get the stick on switches to work.  I unplugged  a couple of TM751s and a RR501 and things are pretty dead.  Oddly, the DS10A will still register on the X10 Code Usage but it will not complete the installation.  I guess no point troubleshooting any more until I get this unit replaced.  Thanks for the advice and I will post the outcome soon.

Before you give up entirely on that particular CM15A unit, first run Tools > Erase download macros from memory, then double check the housecode for the Stick-a-Switch is set to transceive under Tools > Hardware configuration.  Then see it you can turn On/Off a module using the CM15A as a transceiver.

AHP and the CM15A are each complex enough that it's easily possible to draw the wrong conclusions about the cause of a problem.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 09:15:45 PM »

AHP and the CM15A are each complex enough that it's easily possible to draw the wrong conclusions about the cause of a problem.
Very true!   ;) :) It is best to see if it is truely an RF issue(CM15A) or a AHP problem!
Chances are if every thing RF was working before the update but not now then you have corupted your AHX file(this happens alot with internet based installs)
Always have a backup of your AHX file ;)
If you don't have a backup you'll have to make a new configuration file from scratch ::) :'(
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 09:17:26 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ajleduc

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 10:08:28 PM »

Fought same problem for 2 days read post about moving the cm15a away from computer.
Moved 10 feet away from computer and made sure antenna was horizontal.
Everything is working now!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »

Fought same problem for 2 days read post about moving the cm15a away from computer.
Moved 10 feet away from computer and made sure antenna was horizontal.
Everything is working now!

Just to point out something here, it's not the physical distance from the PC... most likely you put the CM15A on a different electrical circuit, or electrically far enough away from the the PC to not be affected.

Most PC power supplies are very bad for noise... you will see this posted everywhere on the board.

For those that can't physically move their CM15A electrically far enough from the PC (USB connection), put the PC on a filter.  ;)

MAPPING your electrical circuits goes a long way in finding solutions to problems. (Thanks TTA.) I use an EXCEL spreadsheet of all my breakers and what light/outlet/etc. are one each (along with what phase the breaker is on)... and my list shows what X10 module is plugged in / wired in to each. So when something sudden stops working, I know which outlets to check first to see what the wife plugged in... Hey it's her fault  :P when I plug something new in, I check it's effects.  :D

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.