Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: alternative to webview connection  (Read 39659 times)

azhomeguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
alternative to webview connection
« on: October 08, 2006, 04:32:07 PM »

I have a four camera wireless system connected to multiview for personal home security and it works great.

I spent six weeks attempting to troubleshoot the webview "can't connect socket" problem and finally gave up.

I am running multiview on a Gateway laptop with Windows XP and wireless cable internet connection. 

I subscribe to gotomypc.com which allows me to access multiview from any internet connection and it works flawlessly.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: alternative to webview connection
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 08:15:22 PM »

Perhaps if you state exactly what you'd like to do with an alternative software someone here may post a link for you!
There's lots of web cam software out there just search Google.
I know from other posts you wish to stay clear of X10 software but you could try the xray vision software it is free!
Seems X10s programmers are focusing more on Active Home Pro (The iWitness & Myhouse Online plugins do this) so it is unlikely any other software will be fixed in the near future :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ftballtw

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 09:40:23 PM »

I am having the same problem on webview.  I think the problem is I am on a home network setup.  I found a program a while back called Network Magic , and they give you a free webpage where you can make public files and password protected, so I am viewing snapshots from my multiview  there.  It works great.  With a coupon on my home page, you can get it for $32.  One time fee. It also makes file and print sharing a breeze and helps troubleshoot any connection problems.   I just got Active Home , with I-Witness, and Smart Macros, so I will see what I can do with that also. E-mail if you want the link to Network Magic.

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 03:59:31 PM »

The model that WebView uses for remote connections is pretty old, and doesn't account for the higher level of security, NAT, and other network configurations that people have now (WebView was released in 2001 or 2002, if I remember right). Vanguard ICC and ActiveHome Pro use a method that should work with the configuration you have, and provide the same features as WebView and more. From these forums it looks like there might be some ongoing problems with the web service that powers MyHouse Online, though.

reyesjc743

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 07:05:36 PM »

Pls check this link to alternative dowload ( chiness) . all versions...

http://xrowcc.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/318/

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »

:)+

A Statement posted 10/2006 gets replies suggesting "solutions" in February, 2010...

Now that's service!   :)%   >*<
>!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 03:03:40 PM »

The newly posted alternative may not be of much use to the original poster (especially since they were not logged in since Oct. 08, 2006), but any new alternative posts can be beneficial to others who search and find this thread.  ;)

New solutions to any old problem/post are always welcomed.

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 07:04:08 PM »

The "gotomypc" approach is very useful.
I have VNC installed on all of the machines - and I can log into them from anywhere via the 'net.

For Quick'N Dirty webcam viewing, on an XP machine, for example, I run NetMtg and then VNC into that box to see what it sees.

VNC is freeware.
Also it's a lifesaver when the wife calls the office with "I can't do this..." or "How come I can't do that..."

Login remotely.
Fix it.
And get back to work!   rofl

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.