Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flashing Light  (Read 15438 times)

artk

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Flashing Light
« on: October 02, 2006, 11:15:17 AM »

I just put up an electric fence and I have it plugged into a X10 switched outlet. Can anyone tell me how to connect a flashing or rotating light to this so I know at a glance when is on?
Ark

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Flashing Light
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 11:24:48 AM »

I just put up an electric fence and I have it plugged into a X10 switched outlet. Can anyone tell me how to connect a flashing or rotating light to this so I know at a glance when is on?
Ark
Where do you want the light? Inside / Outside? On the fence?
Several approaches are possible based on where you need the light. The simplest is just to plug a light into an appliance module set to the same code as the switched outlet. It gets a bit trickier if you need an indicator on the fence.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

artk

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 11:33:17 AM »

I would like a light on the fence and a light in the house.
Ark

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 11:44:45 AM »

I would like a light on the fence and a light in the house.
Ark
The light in the house can be easily handled by my suggestion above.
I'm thinking you might have problems using X10 to send a signal even if you did have 110 volts nearby the fence.
I don't know what the fence voltage is but a neon voltage tester wired between the fence and ground might work.
You might also ask the company that makes the electric fence. It a good chance that you're not the first one of their customers that didn't want to touch a live fence. Let us now if they have a suggestion.
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Bill H

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 05:16:36 PM »

I would also suggest a failsafe since at times x10 modules can miss commands (which, in this case, could give an erroneous indication about the fence status). Use a 2-way appliance module to power the fence. Then use AHP to poll the module to be sure of its setting. A macro would then be used to set the inside indicator on or off, using a 2-way lamp or appliance module, and it's status polled as well. It's added insurance that the inside indicator is displaying the correct fence status.

For the outside indicator, use a low-voltage light and power supply (such as garden lighting), and plug the power supply into the appliance module controlling the fence. Run the low-voltage wiring along with the present high-voltage wiring to the fence and mount the light on top. Again, the insurance is that the light mimics the fence status since it's plugged into the same module. (I'd also suggest 2 lights in case one blows out.) 

If X10 occasionally neglects a light -- or turns one on for kicks -- it's no big deal and I've come to accept that as the norm. But this application could have serious consequences. Good luck!

artk

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 06:45:13 AM »

I contacted the manufacture of the fence (as Steve suggested) and they do have a flashing light. It clips on the fence and flashes. It also tell when the voltage on the fence is low or off. They say it can be seen for a mile. Along with an appliance module and a night light inside the house I think I'm set.

Thanks to all
artk

artk

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 10:01:51 AM »

OK, the light the manufacturer sent was for 1250 volts to 2500 volts. My fence is 800 volts, so the light will not work. So I need help again.Great idea it just hangs on the fence. I guess like an amp meter. When the power dies or there is low voltage, the light comes on.

I would like a light outside to go on when the power to the fence is off. The controller is plugged into a x10 outlet outside covered by a weather proof cover. There is a x10 switch (xp3s) that controls the outlet. The switch is set to B16. The un-switched part of the outlet is the fence power. The switch or timer is the deck lights (B3). When this switch is off a light should come on.

Thanks in advance.
Art k

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 12:42:17 PM »

OK, the light the manufacturer sent was for 1250 volts to 2500 volts. My fence is 800 volts, so the light will not work. So I need help again.Great idea it just hangs on the fence. I guess like an amp meter. When the power dies or there is low voltage, the light comes on...
1st step is to contact the manufacture again and explain your problem. They may have one for your fence. Otherwise you're due a refund.

So the indicator light is suppose to come on when the fence is off? Is it self powered?

I believe if they can make one work for a 1250-2500 volt fence they can make one work for an 800 volt fence particularly if it has a self contained power source.

If they surprise me and don't have one for your 800 volt fence and the indicator was cheep enough to write off the cost, I'd love to see a schematic. I bet once we understand how it works someone with a bit more electronics experience than me would me able to make modification suggestions. From you comment that all you need to do is hang it on the fence, it must trigger by inductance.

artk

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 02:10:03 PM »

They don't make one for a 800v fence. All I can tell it has a circuit board  (1" x 1") coved by rubber with a battery 3v (round). It's called fence alert I got it at www.mulehollow.com. It clips on the fence. The name is Fence Aleart by Fi-shock part# A6.

Artk

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 07:14:06 PM »

Hmm... Would it be practical to switch to a 1200 volt system? ;)

Ok.. Electronic gurus. What the it looks like he has is a light (LED?) powered most likely by a 3V lithium battery. The item sells for about $20. (See his link.) I imagine it has some sort of inductance switching circuit. (Does the fence have a pulsing current?) My guess it that it's basically a coil of wire triggering an off switch for the light. Anyone want to take on the challenge? (I just have enough electronic knowledge to be dangerous.)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 09:32:47 PM »

Well a couple of thoughts here. Some of the clip on indicators only turn on when theres a problem. Off and fence is on or on and fence is off or at low voltage due to heavy load or short. At only 800 volts I don't know if this will work but you might try a fluorescent tube. Place one end with the hot wire touching both pins on the bulb and the other end to earth ground. On the higher voltage wires the tube will flash or flicker with every pulse on the wire. You may need to try a lower wattage bulb say 13 to 21 watts. You may be able to find a commercial clip on fluorescent specifically for electric fences.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 09:40:39 PM »

I did a search for "Electric Fence Fluorescent" and came up with this. http://kencove.com/ShopItemIG.php?item=Fence+Monitor It doesn't say what voltage fences it works on but it may be lower voltages since it looks like it has a transformer on it.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.