Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just wanted to pass this idea on to others.  (Read 10756 times)

St8kout

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Just wanted to pass this idea on to others.
« on: October 25, 2006, 02:41:15 AM »

Using a VCR for recording if/when a motion controlled camera detects anything is a terrible idea. Use a DVR like TIVO or Replay to record as it only records when it receives a video signal. You don't have to sit through hours of video tape trying to spot any recording events. Just playback the DVR and the only thing you will see is when the camera sent a signal.

I had this setup using the X10 motion detector color camera/floodlight combo. The camera did an ok job during the day but was useless at night, even with the floodlights. I don't know why X10 still sells this thing. This was some years ago and either the transmitter or the receiver has since quite working, although the neighborhood brats don't know that since the floodlights will still come on when they walk by. ( They call me 'Camera Man.' I asked if that title comes with a cape.)

I just ordered a ds7000 system. I also have an excellent waterproof extreme-lowlight bullet camera that I would like to set up with an outdoor motion detector for a similar setup as above. Will I be able to use something like the 'Eagle Eye' outdoor motion detector with the ds7000 to turn on a lamp module, where I can plug the camera's wall wart into to turn it on and off? And if I can, can I also at the same time arm the alarm in case of a breakin? In other words, record any movement outside, but trigger the alarm ONLY if someone opens a window or door?

I realize I could buy the setup they're now offering: Eagle Eye, lamp module, and transceiver for $30, and use this seperately, but do I need to do it that way?

Thanks.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Just wanted to pass this idea on to others.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 03:11:53 AM »

The DS7000's base acts as a transceiver as well. So you can set your motion sensor to the same house code in order to turn on a camera (plugged into a module with the same house & unit code as the motion sensor).

However, I strongly suggest you don't use a lamp module for the camera's wall wart... use an appliance module. A lamp module might work for controlling the camera (?) but if there is a break in, your camera will turn on and off repeatedly for 4 minutes.  ;)

So basically you can control a camera with a motion detector using the DS7000 base and the alarm will still get triggered by any door or window that you have a DS10A on.

St8kout

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 03:26:34 AM »

I thought of that, but seems I read somewhere that during a break-in, the applicance module turns off. Is that true? Of course, that would still be better than repeatedly 'flashing' the camera on and off.

Maybe I should just spend another $30 and get their other system (mentioned above) for this, or will it operate independently from the ds7000?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 08:31:02 AM »

You are correct about the appliance module, it will turn off. (I just did a test to verify this.)
Not sure why the DS7000 sends an "ALL UNITS OFF" instead of an "ALL LIGHTS OFF"?

You can add a second transceiver for your camera setup to prevent it from going off during a break in. Just set the house code different from the DS7000. But I'm still not sure about using a lamp module to active your camera (in the kit you mentioned). I'm thinking it would be best to still use an appliance module for it.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 10:06:08 AM »

Not sure why the DS7000 sends an "ALL UNITS OFF" instead of an "ALL LIGHTS OFF"?

For whatever reason, the LM465 Lamp Module (or any of its predecessor or rebranded models) was not designed to respond to an ALL LIGHTS OFF signal.   Although other lamp dimmers do, X-10 has never really supported that command in their software or remotes.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 01:46:28 PM »

Interestingly, every controller and every X10 software program has never had an "ALL LIGHTS OFF" command or button. It's always been "All Lights On" and "All Units Off", right through AHP. I have two MC460's, a Sears and a Stanley desktop controller, and every one has All Lights On" and "All Units Off".  I have LM465s and a few Stanley, Radio Shack and Sears and a single Motorola lamp module (no model number).

I suspect X10 knew from the beginning that a LM465 Lamp Module (or any of its predecessor or rebranded models) would not respond to "All Lights Off".
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 05:21:58 PM »

I suspect X10 knew from the beginning that a LM465 Lamp Module (or any of its predecessor or rebranded models) would not respond to "All Lights Off".

In my opinion it wasn't that they "knew from the beginning", it was done on purpose. There is no other way the system could have been designed and still be safe.  As soon as you start using X-10 for non lighting applications the last thing you want to have happen is for coffee pots, solar heating units, space heaters and heavens knows what else to suddenly all turn on from a single command!
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 05:58:01 PM »

In my opinion it wasn't that they "knew from the beginning", it was done on purpose. There is no other way the system could have been designed and still be safe.  As soon as you start using X-10 for non lighting applications the last thing you want to have happen is for coffee pots, solar heating units, space heaters and heavens knows what else to suddenly all turn on from a single command!

Oldtimer:
Have you perhaps confused the ALL_LIGHTS_OFF command with a (non-existent) ALL_UNITS_ON command?

It's not clear how a LAMP module responding to an  ALL_LIGHTS_OFF command could represent a safety hazard.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 08:04:51 PM »

Oldtimer:
Have you perhaps confused the ALL_LIGHTS_OFF command with a (non-existent) ALL_UNITS_ON command?

It's not clear how a LAMP module responding to an  ALL_LIGHTS_OFF command could represent a safety hazard.

Dan:

I certainly didn't express myself well on this at all.  Of the four possible commands ALL_LIGHTS_ON, ALL_LIGHTS_OFF, ALL_UNITS_ON and ALL_UNITS_ OFF the point I was making was that the decision as to what would work and what wouldn't came before what the commands did, particularly the possible ALL_UNITS_ON command, which is the one I said would be unsfafe.  As to the missing ALL-LIGHTS_OFF command isn't that just a shortcoming of the origional architecture of the X10 command code structure?
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 01:04:33 AM »

Oldtimer:

Dan:

I certainly didn't express myself well on this at all.  Of the four possible commands ALL_LIGHTS_ON, ALL_LIGHTS_OFF, ALL_UNITS_ON and ALL_UNITS_ OFF the point I was making was that the decision as to what would work and what wouldn't came before what the commands did, particularly the possible ALL_UNITS_ON command, which is the one I said would be unsfafe.  As to the missing ALL-LIGHTS_OFF command isn't that just a shortcoming of the origional architecture of the X10 command code structure?

I agree that an ALL_UNITS_ON command would represent a safety hazard.  Interestingly, there is an EXTENDED_ALL_UNITS_ON command, which is supported by the LM14A and AM15A (PLM22) modules.

The ALL_LIGHTS_OFF is one of the basic X10 commands.  It's supported by the WS467 Wall Switch, LM14A 2-way Lamp Module, and LM15A Socket Rocket.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 01:26:58 AM »

...The ALL_LIGHTS_OFF is one of the basic X10 commands.  It's supported by the WS467 Wall Switch, LM14A 2-way Lamp Module, and LM15A Socket Rocket.

But *NOT* the LM465? ???

For whatever reason, the LM465 Lamp Module (or any of its predecessor or rebranded models) was not designed to respond to an ALL LIGHTS OFF signal.   Although other lamp dimmers do, X-10 has never really supported that command in their software or remotes.

Did you learn this through experimentation, or from reading it somewhere?
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 03:10:43 AM »

...The ALL_LIGHTS_OFF is one of the basic X10 commands.  It's supported by the WS467 Wall Switch, LM14A 2-way Lamp Module, and LM15A Socket Rocket.

But *NOT* the LM465? ???

No, that's the strange thing. 

Did you learn this through experimentation, or from reading it somewhere?

By experimentation.  The CM11A is capable of sending and receiving the ALL_LIGHTS_OFF signal.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.