Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do You (Still) Use The CM11A?!?

YES - It's The *ONLY* Way To Go!
- 35 (47.9%)
YES - BUT I Also Have a CM15A That I'm "Testing" :)
- 7 (9.6%)
YES - BUT I Also Have a NON-X10 Controller That I'm "Testing" :(
- 2 (2.7%)
NO - I've Upgraded To The CM15A And I'm Happy With It
- 16 (21.9%)
NO - I've Upgraded To The CM15A And I'm Disappointed With It
- 4 (5.5%)
NO
- 9 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Do You (?Still?) Use The CM11A As Your PRIMARY Home Controller?!?  (Read 132898 times)

James G

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Do You (?Still?) Use The CM11A As Your PRIMARY Home Controller?!?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2019, 12:02:58 AM »

Does the Homeseer Hometroller work with X10? Where can I find it?

Thanks

fuzzmanks

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2019, 12:11:40 AM »

And i am still using my CM11A full time and have been for years (decades).  I also have a spare.  But starting about a year ago I've been converting to WiFi smart plugs and bulbs. 

My house X10 thermostat is having issues and I haven't had my HVAC always-on fan setting all winter.  The last two winters that feature would start working about half way into the winter.  So I bought an Ecobee smart thermostat and will be converting to that once we get out of the single digit and lower temps.

My house is about 44 years old and the wiring will not support the replacement WiFi receptacles and switches. So I am going with the plug-in modules and smart bulbs.

James G

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2019, 12:59:02 AM »

I recently bought the Ring doorbell camera and another wired camera to replace the failed X-10 motion sensor. It has indoor chimes and works with the Echo dot. Unfortunately, it does not communicate with X-10. I had to buy the Google mesh wireless network to reach the unit on the garage.

My main concern is that the Plato box will fail and I will lose my smarthome system.

James G

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2019, 01:25:41 AM »

I just checked and my controller box connects to the power line with a PSC05

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2019, 06:17:09 AM »

I just checked and my controller box connects to the power line with a PSC05

If your PSC05 ever fails. The X10 TW523 and X10Pro PSC05 are now discontinued.
The XTB-523 is still being shown as available as a replacement from JV Digital Engineering.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:44:15 AM by Brian H »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 121
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2019, 10:00:25 AM »

The XTB-523 is still being shown as available as a replacement from JV Digital Engineering.

There should be enough PCBs left to last through most of 2019.  Since this is critical to certain X10 controllers and transceivers, I may revise the PCB for SMDs and robotic assembly to keep it available if economically feasible.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

James G

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2019, 10:15:53 AM »

Hi Jeff,

Is the PCB the same as the PSC05? Where can I buy a few?

Thanks!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 121
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2019, 10:30:03 AM »

Is the PCB the same as the PSC05? Where can I buy a few?

Not at all.  The XTB-523 is a high power transmitter that emulates the TW523/PSC05 protocol:

http://jvde.us/xtb-523.htm

Sorry, the PCB is not available separately.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2019, 11:47:49 AM »

Does the Homeseer Hometroller work with X10? Where can I find it?

Thanks
Homeseer.com

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2019, 11:55:47 AM »

Homeseer.com

Yep and with the new(er) Raspberry Pi based unit (from Homeseer).... you can run BOTH X10 (with the CM15A as an interface) and run ZWave (with the Zwave stick) as well. OR... just use the Homeseer to control your X10... and integrate the newer tech stuff (like AI and voice control over WiFi)… using the popular Samsung "Smartthings" Hub. The opinions are nearly limitless. And... the best I can tell... there is no wrong way to do this stuff.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 12:04:30 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

James G

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2019, 01:16:06 PM »

Hi HA Dave! Electricity and Electronics has been a hobby of mine since I was a kid. Once I had the Plato installed to my satisfaction, I dropped out of the home automation scene for decades except for minor modifications. At the time, few knew more than me. I see now that my knowledge is decades old. I really appreciate the help I have been receiving here. I find WiFi unreliable in much of my home despite recently installing Google's wireless mesh system. I do have a wired Echo Dot with Alexa.

Please tell me more about AI.

Thanks!

HA Dave

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2019, 03:46:08 PM »

Hi HA Dave!...…... I dropped out of the home automation scene for decades except for minor modifications. At the time, few knew more than me. I see now that my knowledge is decades old.....

Don't tell the electrons.... they don't know things have changed  :'  Some of the guys here have great electrical-technical, and/or programming knowledge. I' am just an old wire-twister from years back.... who has a real love for Home Automation. I see myself as proof... that anybody can make this stuff work.

I find WiFi unreliable in much of my home despite recently installing Google's wireless mesh system. I do have a wired Echo Dot with Alexa.

I too have a few receptions areas that could be better. A mesh can be a fix.... sometimes just changing your router setting to a higher power will work. I had ran some CAT5 before we had WiFi that was reliable (or fast). Now.... G5 is on the horizon... and who knows what else will happen. Meanwhile.... I am using a CAT5-6 connection with the Home Theaters Samsung BlueRay player with build-in streaming. BUT the Roku device (in the same place)… works fine with the available WiFi. Go figure.

Please tell me more about AI.

Tell you more about AI?!?!?!? That's like asking me if I have grandkid pic on my phone ( rofl ).

Before Amazon marketed their Echo dots (and I discovered it on-line). I was running a couple window XP laptops.... one ran X10 Active Home Pro CM15A and a small software product (BVC) that exploited Microsoft's SAPI5 Voice Recognition. So I had complete voice control over lighting and one of my TV's.... as well as several computer control macros (little programmed actions). The other little laptop ran a software server product called Melloware that communicated with a matching app on my iPhone.... which gave me global phone remote control.

Now... with AI at the heart of my setup... I feel like the old system would compare to a Zenith Space Command Remote.

If the MyQ garage door gets left open.... the app lets me know. I can double check using my phone to access the home cameras. And if the security system was forgot I can control that via my phone too. A call from the step-daughter.... and I can dis-arm the alarm... and open the garage door for her while I am out. And while the wife and I are away... the NEST thermostat automatically readjusts to a preset temp.... and knows when were close to home and RE-sets in time so we never arrive to a too cold or too hot home.

When I do get home I disarm the alarm with a voice command (a password must also be spoken). And although (the Amazon) Alexa (I have 4)…. can and does control lights, alarm, thermostat, TV, Theater, and more. Mostly Alexa is digital voice assistance... telling me what's on TV, setting up reminders and timers, checking my on-line calendar, reciting needed facts and trivia. And the echo software.... still limited as it is.... integrates a hodgepodge of different brands of X10 and Wifi Products.   
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:57:19 PM by HA Dave »

James G

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2019, 04:08:43 PM »

Thanks Dave! Perhaps we can get into the AI another time. I am currently overloaded with this and other stuff.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2019, 04:26:16 PM »

True AI HA needs no human interaction to tell it if a door should be closed or if someone is home to turn on/off a light or appliance, arm/disarm a security system ….
We aren't there Yet but getting close. ;)
Sadly cloud integration is required which many don't have reliable enough internet for. :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2019, 11:37:55 PM »

True AI HA needs no human interaction to tell it if a door should be closed or if someone is home to turn on/off a light or appliance, arm/disarm a security system ….
We aren't there Yet but getting close. ;)

Don't forget.... a large number of the forum members are Americans. Here in America we actually have a free and fully democratic language. We don't even have an English portal, bureau, or agency.

We define AI a little differently here. And Alexa is truly AI.

Sadly cloud integration is required which many don't have reliable enough internet for. :(

I love the cloud...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:10:31 AM by HA Dave »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.