Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Sentinel Cam review  (Read 127809 times)

STI2NR

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • Security cams online!!
Re: Sentinel Cam review
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2010, 01:56:18 PM »

Yeah I saw those Dave.  I am trying to find the manufacturer of the cameras and the housings in mainland china. 

I refuse to pay 399 a piece for these.

Where there is a will, there is a way!!

I need 2 of them with a single remote.

Know any leads let me know! 

;-)
Licensed Inside Commercial Electrician in Oregon and Washington --USMC veteran 1993-2001--3 time marathon completer 2008 (4:12) 2009 (PDX 3:44, Seattle 3:32)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »

....... I refuse to pay 399 a piece for these.

That is a chunk of change.. for sure. However the Sentinel is a fine camera. Finding a reputable source that will beat X10's deal on two cameras (and I assume you have called X10) might be hard to do. I would have a hard time trusting someone who would be openly willing to cheat a business partner. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

julez12

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 11:05:30 PM »

ok - I know the original post is years old, just curious.......is there a new and improved sentinel camera that has a larger range for the tilt?

HA Dave

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 09:09:21 AM »

ok - I know the original post is years old, just curious

Old threads never die... we are a democratic forum... anyone can dig up anything and get it restarted. I also read your other post http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22122.msg125745#msg125745 and noticed you have nice shopping list of requirements.

.......is there a new and improved sentinel camera that has a larger range for the tilt?

I haven't heard [read] of any changes. But unless your trying to work around a very restricted space... the tilt limit shouldn't be a problem. Of course... if you want to look straight down a less-than-tall building a quality fixed camera may be more useful.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:12:15 AM by Dave_x10_L »

julez12

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 07:16:13 PM »

Hi Dave -

No I am not planning on working around a restricted place... just wanted to be able to get the best view!  =)  As for my xmas list.. yup, I have been a good girl this year ....so SANTA owes me! haha  sooooooooooooo... any recommendations??

HA Dave

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2010, 10:38:08 PM »

Hi Dave -

No I am not planning on working around a restricted place... just wanted to be able to get the best view! 

Camera views... like any other view cones outward. So like the little camera I have mounted to the side on my house [to see the frontdoor] has to be aimed toward the driveway. Because of the coning effect if I didn't half of my video image would be house siding.

Glad to hear your in tight with Santa... that can't hurt. I often recommend that people new to security cameras buy a cheap X10 "one camera deal". It's a great way to learn whats needed to avoid the comman mistakes. What you described in your wishlist (another thread) was pretty extentive.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:39:54 PM by Dave_x10_L »

julez12

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 02:43:05 AM »

can you just educate me on the "common mistakes?"  this is the reason i came to the forum... for some good advice!  =)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 06:01:17 AM »

Here is the information sheet on them from the wiki. It may answer some of your questions.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Sentinel

I am sure anyone else using the Sentinel will also give you their findings.

HA Dave

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »

can you just educate me on the "common mistakes?" 

Well... let me start by saying whereas I did own a Sentinel... I found it a too [extremely] powerful of a tool... for my small city lot.

Comman mistakes are: People think that somehow... getting video of someone committing a crime changes something.... it doesn't. Proving that an X or an old boyfriend is vandalizing your home... doesn't undo anything. Catching people red-handed doesn't reform them. Courts don't alter peoples thought processes.... courts punish people. Cameras are a great technology... but it doesn't change people or alter an otherwise complex, inefficient and time consuming court process. 

If you already have an ongoing conflict... adding a video camera to the conflict could (read as more likely will) make it more violent. If you have a conflict with a neighbor... I've never heard of a camera ever making the situation better. If your trying to catch someone.... and your NOT a policeperson... maybe you should re-think your mission.

Those are the comman things. What is it your intending to use cameras for?

julez12

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 03:44:09 AM »

Hola Dave -

Thanks for your honest opinion!  At this time, the ONLY reason that we will be adding some cameras to our house is for the simple reason of security.  It's for that "what if" scenario that could happen!  So as of right now, we love our neighbors, love our city, etc!  It just brings a piece of mind to our family having some extra security and I like the fun stuff that these cameras do!  =) 

As for your opinion on nothing changing if you have video of someone committing a crime.... I guess that is where we differ.  I am not sure what state you live in, but having video of a crime taking place is pretty much a slam dunk in the state that I am!  If an X did vandalize my home, the video would get me a WIN in court against him and he would pay!  =)  But again... I don't have any concerns about an X coming around!  You are right on catching people and not reforming them, but it will make them be help accountable for their actions!  Once again... you are right, courts don't alter peoples thought processes, and you are right... they do punish them for the crime that they have committed!  I guess in my eyes that is what court is for and why we need them?  I don't really think people should get away with crimes just for the heck of it?!?!?  As for court being an inefficient and time consuming process, this is something I know first hand about and unfortunately my job requires me to go to court many times a week and let me just tell you.... if I had a video of the crime that took place, I probably wouldn't have to waste a day in court!  =) 

Once again, I will stress that there is no conflict and I wouldn't be adding fuel any fires!  =)  I am a police person and although I am not trying to catch anyone (wellll... maybe that little tagger who keeps tagging the mailboxes), then I guess I don't need to rethink my mission!  =) 

Soooooooooooooo nowwwww... back to my wishlist - is it good stuff?!?!!??!?   =))

HA Dave

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 09:21:58 AM »

Soooooooooooooo nowwwww... back to my wishlist - is it good stuff?!?!!??!?   =))

Your wishlist: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22122.msg125745#msg125745  has (I think) contradictions in it. You may want to read more about security systems and try a single camera as part of a learning process. I will post more.... at that thread.

HA Dave

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2010, 09:47:23 AM »

At this time, the ONLY reason that we will be adding some cameras to our house is for the simple reason of security. 
As for your opinion on nothing changing if you have video of someone committing a crime.... I guess that is where we differ.  I am not sure what state you live in, but having video of a crime taking place is pretty much a slam dunk in the state that I am! 

I live in Ohio. In Ohio if we collect a video of someone cutting our childs throat... the courts here in Ohio won't be able to UNcut the throat. In Ohio killed people remain killed (even with really really good video). In Ohio we mourn our losses wether or not the courts imprison someone.

Don't know what state YOU live in.... but glad to hear you've figured out better ways than us here in MY state.

julez12

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2010, 08:36:40 PM »

Dave - I'm in OHIO too!!  =)  Guess we are neighbors!!!!!   rofl

HA Dave

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »

Dave - I'm in OHIO too!! 

Well then you should also keep in mind that we can't record audio [in Ohio as well as some other states]. As I understand it (I am not a lawyer) law prohibits us from recording audio (older laws). But video is OK... as long as its in a place where people would normally expect to be seen.

deddlemon

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »

Has everyone had better luck with the Sentinel than the VanGuard VK77a in regard to the el cheapo plastic gears busting and the camera interfering with your other cameras after a couple of years. The VanGuard worked great for me for about 2 years. I bought another and it lasted about 2 years as well. The gears went first and then I just could not get them to work in my wireless environment. Like I said, I bought a second after two years and set it up like the first and it worked fine for about another 2 years and did the same thing (Gears went then the picture a few months later). Just wondering if anyone has had the Sentinel long enough to say its a better system and does not break. Thanks in advance for any input you can share.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.