Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Did anyone write a technical description??  (Read 7102 times)

skate

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Did anyone write a technical description??
« on: October 12, 2006, 08:36:41 AM »

I've spent 30 years working with computers and networks and this little security system has me feeling uneducated.  Has anyone written a complete but terse description of how this system works.  Maybe I am trying to make it too hard.

It seems to me that it uses two byte addressing (home / unit).  But not all the units seem to have those controls.  I guess I need to know how each piece that talks to the ds7000 deals with the addressing.  When you go to install mode does the home/unit setting on the ds7000 get stored in any device that is not already configured?? 

Man I hope I'm not alone in not getting the drift on this thing!

...SKate

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Did anyone write a technical description??
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 10:46:12 AM »

I've spent 30 years working with computers and networks and this little security system has me feeling uneducated.  Has anyone written a complete but terse description of how this system works.  Maybe I am trying to make it too hard.

It seems to me that it uses two byte addressing (home / unit).  But not all the units seem to have those controls.  I guess I need to know how each piece that talks to the ds7000 deals with the addressing.  When you go to install mode does the home/unit setting on the ds7000 get stored in any device that is not already configured?? 

Man I hope I'm not alone in not getting the drift on this thing!

...SKate

I'm not sure exactly where you're coming from, but there are two different technologies at issue with the DS7000 system.

The DS7000 receives RF security signals from X10 security devices like the DS10A Door/Window sensor and KR10A Security Remote.
The security RF signals don't involve a housecode or unit - they include a randomly-generated security ID and an "action" byte, e.g., "A door has been opened".  When you register a security device with the DS7000, you're just telling the DS7000 the security ID for that device.

In response to these RF security signals, the DS7000 can transmit standard X10 powerline signals over the AC wiring in your home which  actuate X10 receiver modules like the LM465 Lamp Dimmer and the SH10A Siren.  The X10 modules are identified by a housecode (A-P) and a unit number (1-16).  The housecode/unit address for receiver modules manufactured by X-10 are usually set by  code wheels on the module; for those manufactured by other companies often by software.

X10 powerline signals may address specific units on a given houscode with simple commands like On and Off, or all units on a housecode with commands like All-Lights-On and All-Units-Off. 

In addition to the security sensors and remotes, there are other, non-security,  RF transmitters like standard motion detectors.  Their signals can include housecoe/unit and are transceived directly to the corresponding powerline codes by transceiver modules like the TM751 and RR501.  These transceivers are limited to transceiving RF signals on a single housecode which is set by the codewheel.

Does that help?

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

skate

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:56:09 AM »

Charles:

Thank you for your reply.   Lets see if I can restate ...

control devices (keyfob or handheld remote) generate unique IDs that are installed into the ds7000 by putting switch to "install" and press arm (only the house code on the remote has to match the housecode on the ds7000 to install or operate) / these devices don't take up a zone / the only proof the device has registered with the ds7000 is that it works

door window devices also generate unique IDS,  that are installed into the ds7000 ("install" switch and push "test") and are individually associated with "zones", assignment in sequential order (totally ignore the house/unit selector on the ds7000) --- only one remote sensor is assigned to a zone

power controllers with house/unit setting switches do not install to zones  --- but here it gets foggy.   Can I have individual control of each light?  If so, how do I get the right controller associated with the right switch on the remote?   

during an alarm or a manual all lights on I'm pretty sure that all power control devices that match the ds7000 house code will come on.  true?

So how does the pocket rocket get a unit number?  is it an alarm device only?  can it be sent a unit number and attached to an individual control on the remote?

Motion sensors are like doors / window units.

Still feeling uneducated,

...SKate

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 12:17:59 PM by skate »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 07:50:12 PM »

Charles:

Thank you for your reply.   Lets see if I can restate ...

control devices (keyfob or handheld remote) generate unique IDs that are installed into the ds7000 by putting switch to "install" and press arm (only the house code on the remote has to match the housecode on the ds7000 to install or operate) / these devices don't take up a zone / the only proof the device has registered with the ds7000 is that it works

The first thing I should mention is that I'm not overly familiar with the DS7000 itself.  I don't own one.  The security devices I own are limited to the DS10A Door/Window sensors and KR10A Security Remote.  I have the OnAlert plugin for ActiveHome Pro which allows using these devices to trigger macros.  Neither of these security device has a housecode associated with it. 

I understand the SH624 Remote is a combo unit - it can send both security RF for arming and disarming the DS7000 and standard X10 RF for controlling  X10 powerline modules.  It has a housecode codewheel for the latter actions.  I don't believe there's any connection between the housecode on the DS7000 and the housecode on the SH624 insofar as installing the security ID is concerned, except that they have to be set to the same housecode if both are to control the same powerline modules.  E.g., if a lamp  module is set to housecode C, then both the DS7000 and the SH624 have to be set to housecode C in order for each to control it.

door window devices also generate unique IDS,  that are installed into the ds7000 ("install" switch and push "test") and are individually associated with "zones", assignment in sequential order (totally ignore the house/unit selector on the ds7000) --- only one remote sensor is assigned to a zone

I believe that's correct.

power controllers with house/unit setting switches do not install to zones  --- but here it gets foggy.   Can I have individual control of each light?  If so, how do I get the right controller associated with the right switch on the remote?

Yes and No.  You can manually control each individual lamp module with a remote, but you can't associate an individual lamp module with a particular security sensor.  (However the OnAlert plugin for ActiveHome Pro allows this).  A lamp module set to the same housecode and unit as the DS7000 is controlled with the security light button on the remote.  Lamp modules on the same housecode and with unit codes 1 through 4 are controlled by the four standard X10 buttons on the remote.  Under intrusion alarm conditions the DS7000 only transmits the "All" powerline signals , which will affect all lamp modules set to the same housecode as the DS7000.

during an alarm or a manual all lights on I'm pretty sure that all power control devices that match the ds7000 house code will come on.  true?

No.  During an alarm the DS7000 transmits a repeating sequence of All-Lights-On, All-Units-Off.  So lamp modules will flash on and off and sirens will sound, but appliance modules will be turned off by the All-Units-Off and remain off, since they don't respond to the All-Lights-On signal.

So how does the pocket rocket get a unit number?  is it an alarm device only?  can it be sent a unit number and attached to an individual control on the remote?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "pocket rocket" .  If it just has On/Off buttons it's probably a standard (non-security) X0 RF remote.
The houscode/unitcode for these are set by holding and pressing a key sequence.  See the instructions.

Motion sensors are like doors / window units.

There are security motion sensors which are like the door/window sensors and there are standard X10 motion sensors.  If you got one in a ket with the DS7000 it's probably the security type.  Look up the model number at http://www.x10.com/support/support_manuals.htm

Still feeling uneducated,

X-10 doesn't always make it easy.

If I'm in error about any of the details about the DS7000 and SH624, I hope another reader will offer a correction.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

St8kout

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 03:20:58 AM »

Don't feel alone. I'm too am having a hard time trying to wrap my brain around some of their poorly written manuals. It would help if they took the time to include some examples. I just ordered a ds7000 system and still not sure if it will do what it to do. I'm looking for a way to use the motion detectors to turn an outside camera on and off yet to seperately have the system armed in case of a break-in. I figure I'll just have to experiment with it when I get it.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.