Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: [AHP Add-On] X10WavPlayer (Add Sound)  (Read 251527 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: [AHP Add-On] X10WavPlayer (Add Sound)
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2011, 02:00:21 PM »

Before you create a phantom add the X10WavPlayer to the new macro and delete the old macro.
Remove the light from the new macro.
Then empty the recycle bin and update the cm15a.
Test the macro. The old one may have been corrupt.
At least your getting somewhere! :)%
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ricquelle

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »

Finally I had a chance to get back to this...First I added the X10WavPlayer Command to the Lamp Macro and deleted the originally created X10WavPlayer Macro.  When I did this the lamp still turned on; however the X10WavPlayer would not triggered.  Then I deleted the Lamp portion and left just the X10WavPlayer portion - still would not work.

So I then created a P1 Phantom Switch using a 2 Way Lamp Module on one Macro and created a seperate macro with the Windows Command for the X10WavPlayer both being triggered by the PANIC on the Security Key Chain.  Voila - it is working again!  So I guess I will have to stick with that method.

I am guessing I will have to do the same for the Front Door Sensor and the Back Door Sensor seperately.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2011, 07:52:26 AM »

Good to know you have it working.
One point though. You shouldn't use lamp modules as Phantoms. Use appliance modules as your only watching on/off not dims/brights ;)
You could get some unexpected results using lamp modules.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ricquelle

« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2011, 07:59:07 AM »

Thanks for the tip - I will change that!

webrod

« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2011, 05:03:26 AM »

Hi,

I am wondering what is the best option to hear the voice everywhere in the house (or at least some important areas).

Which kind of speakers should I use?

Bluetooth is not an option, as my PC is not in the middle of the house, so it will not go through all the walls.

I was thinking about a WIFI speaker? really based on WIFI (ethernet) not a wireless speaker based on a dongle as I would face the same issue.

My box (ADSL) is in the middle of the house, so WIFI speakers would work.
Do you see other options without cables?
Do you have links with cheap speakers like that?

Do I have the possibility to send sound X to speaker A only, sound Y to speaker B only, and sound Z to both speakers A and B??

thanks a lot
Rod

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2011, 07:16:29 AM »

Several people have used either wireless intercoms, or baby monitors (which are really just one-way wireless intercoms).

webrod

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2011, 01:27:55 PM »

Hi,

you mean a wireless intercom that can be link to a PC thanks to a USB cable right? or to the audio connectr of the PC??

Actually I have just found something called an "audio extend".
Like here from Devolo:
http://www.harakiwi.net/nouveautes/utilisation-et-conclusion.html
(it's in french but you can see the pictures)..

It's a kit, one is plug on the PC with Ethernet or USB, it is seen as an audio card, and convert it to ethernet through CPL!!
The other one can be connected in any other room, or in the garden (though CPL), then you can connect any speakers like if it was connected to the PC!

Looks nice.
There is an utility to swap between the audio card of the PC and the one from the Kit. I need to check if it can be done by a script, so it can be done automatically when a specific message has to be said through the external speaker (through the kit) and not on the speaker of the PC, then it is swap back to the speaker of the PC at the end of the message (for normal use)...

Also could be nice to check if 2 kits could be plug on the PC, so you can decide to use one or the other according to whether you want to play the sound on speakers in a specific room (like inside the house), or for instance in the garden (outside, like when there is a thief)!!

if someone did test that already, please give your feedback.

thanks
rod

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »

No, actually I meant that some people have modified wireless intercoms or baby monitors to connect to the speaker/microphone jacks on the PC, and used them that way as remote speakers or mics.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »

I use an old cheap power PC speaker system as a pre-amp. Then from that (powered speaker/pre-amp) I run (hard wire) to other powered speakers. With the cheapie plug-in power speakers costing $6 each I add voice announcements house wide for nearly nothing.

I use cheap Baby Monitors to get my voice to my computer so I can run Bills Voice Commander

Baby monitors could also ne used as wirless speakers... but I think intercoms would work as well.. or even better.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:22:47 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »

webrod
You say Bluetooth won't work for you!
Have you tried it?
If so were both the Dongle and speakers class 1?
Both Dave_x10_L and myself experimented with Bluetooth headsets and a dongle.
With a class 2 headset and class1 dongle I could hear my PC from anywhere in the house.
However I couldn't talk back to it.
Infact 2 way communication was limited to less then 10 feet when going threw walls or floors.
Switching to both class1 devices alowed me 2 way communication with the PC from anywhere in the house and lot.
Infact I could hear my PC 2 houses away. I never tried communicating back at that distance but your not looking to do that anyways. ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

webrod

« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2011, 04:28:29 AM »

Hi,

I think I read too much information for my small head!!
I'd like to mention this link really interresting!!!
http://davesdomainonline.com/microphone/mystory

Now I am trying to gather all the information, assuming I want to hear some sounds inside/outside my house (like "INTRUSION DETECTED" inside the house, and "WARNING! THIS HOUSE IS UNDER WATCHING, LEAVE THIS AREA IMMEDIATELY bla bla bla") and assuming that speech recognition could be a nice option
SPEECH RECOGINITION
1) I can use a baby monitor. The cheapest one I found (in France) is around 35$. What are the requirements so I am sure it will work? It has to be "VOX" compliant? right? so no need to push a button if I understand well? any other requirement to know before I buy?
2) I can use intercom. At that time, I found some information about how to mod an intercom, but it looks a bit too difficult to me  ::) I think an intercom always need a button to be pushed, that's why I undertand it's a bit more complex
=> actually, I'm a bit afraid doing speech recognition, as it is not secure. It means that my neighbours can hear me 7/24 !! There are things that I want to keep secret   :'

HEARING:
There are plenty of solutions
1) I can use bluetooth or wifi speakers. Unfortunatelly my walls are really big, and I guess there are metal or whatever that broke the signal. My current internet box (ADSL) is on the first floor, and I have difficulty to get the signal upstair. Outside, it's even worst, I have the signal only 1-2 meter around the house. Actually I did solve the problem for outside, I added a router in the garden, so now it's OK. For bluetooth, as it is supposed to work only within 10m, I do not expect it will work , but I will do some test as Tuicemen said. BTW, even with RF X10 I have problem, I need to buy 2 additional receiver, one for upstair, one for the garden (for the sensors outside...)
2) I can use CPL (actually I think it's PLC in english). This is actually what I use now for internet in my house and work like a charm!!! I found those DEVOLO products that broadcost the signal on the PLC, then you have receivers (30$ each) that you can plug wherever you want. Then you need a cheap standard speaker per receiver.
3) If I understand I could also use a baby monitor. If I do speech recognition, then It woud come for free. Actually the baby monitor needs to support bi directionnal communication right? Have you tested this already? Any link on internet to such a product (even in US)?
4) thanks to dave website, I also find this kind of products: http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vk59a.htm. It's a X10 WIFI speaker. It's a bit like 2) above but through WIFI, and has X10 features.  Which is nice. I understand you can set the volume through X10.
5) do you know if I can redirect the sound to one speaker or another? Like inside/outside? Assuming I have 2 soundcards, is it possible to use one or the other with X10WavPlayer?? It would be a nice option to satisfy this requirement. Specially you Daven I was one of your video with a speaker outside that spoke when there is an intrusion right? Do you play the sound also in the house?? BTW which speaker do you use outside???

Thanks for your help.
Rod

PS: sorry, I realize there are a lot of questions...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2011, 08:12:04 AM »

There are 3 classes for Bluetooth http://bluetoothinsight.blogspot.com/2008/01/bluetooth-power-classes.html
Make sure you use the class for the distance.
It is true large metal objects metal will degrade any radio signal.
The X10 audio video set your looking at is no different and will also be effected by your wireless routers as they use the same frequency.

You shouldn't need a separate sound card to hear X10WavPlayer I designed it and PCCompanion to work with BVC.
Many use multiple sound programs in order to use different voices for each needed event.
If this is what your thinking of doing you may wish to look at PC Companion as it can now do this.
As for turning a speaker on/off this can be done with X10.
How ever I find you need to add a small delay for the speakers to power up.
Without the delay you may miss the first part of the announcement.
I believe this is how Dave does it for his microphones (babymonitors)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

webrod

« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2011, 09:47:01 AM »

the need for the 2 sounds cards is to send a sound to specific areas only.
Like a sound inside only, OR a sound outside only.
If you have only one card, then how can you choose between the speakers?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2011, 11:01:28 AM »

You turn on the speakers you want for the anouncement and back off once the anouncement is finished using X10.
It is a simple matter of using an appliance module connected to the outlet and your wireless speaker power supply plugged into it. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

webrod

« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2011, 02:55:12 PM »

ok I understand, so this is a new requirement for the speaker.

It has to be able to "SWITCH ON" automatically when it is plugged on the outlet.
You know some products have a kind of button with 2 positions "ON" and "OFF".
If you move the position to ON, then if you unplug and plug back it is still ON.
Some others have a kind of "digital" button.
You push it's on, you unplug and plug back, it's off. You need to manually push the button again.

Am I right?

I think the baby monitor I have has the digital button, I will check.
Hopeffuly I can find one with a real button with 2 positions.

any link to a cheap baby phone with all these features and good quality? even in US?

thanks again.
Rod
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.