Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is anything X10 sells worth a darn?  (Read 6820 times)

theriddler33

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Is anything X10 sells worth a darn?
« on: October 21, 2006, 02:19:20 AM »

Well, I've already ordered some motion detecting security flood lights (without cameras) and THEN I get on the forum and read all of the negative posts about their products (that's the way it goes!).  My goal is to have 6 dual security lights around my house which is to deter theft, however, I'd like to add at least a 4-8 camera system for indoor/outdoor surveilance and video recording.  My question is are there any products I should stay away from or any you'd recommend?  I hear a lot of negative feedback on this forum, but if there's any positive feedback out there I'd like to hear it too.  I'll be spending a lot of time here the next couple weeks researching the products and reading your posts so thanks for any help in advance.
Mike

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: Is anything X10 sells worth a darn?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 03:38:04 AM »

;D A B S O L U T I V E L Y ! ! ! ;D
...I hear a lot of negative feedback on this forum, but if there's any positive feedback out there I'd like to hear it too...

P s s t: NEWBIEs starting out with such a *NEGATIVE* attitude might just get *SHOT ON SIGHT* by the (infamous) "Cheers Gang "!  :o
Deputy PUCK!, please set this NEWBIE straight! 
;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 03:57:17 AM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 06:23:50 AM »

Happy users don't post as frequently as unhappy ones.
Many here that have overcome problems will be glad to help you if you have any.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »

Brian's right... many come here, post and complain about problems, find the help they need to get things working and then never post back about how good its working. Almost all your questions can be found here and the ones that can't we will type them up  ;D ;D

I have had a great time with the automation and security side of X10 and getting ready to add camera's to the system. 90% of my equipment is from X10 or made by X10 and I have not had to send anything back. The couple of times I had to call X10 on the phone to resolve a download problem with software I got through in 5 minutes or less.

HAVE FUN!  :D ;D :) ;) :P
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

theriddler33

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 11:57:43 AM »

Thanks for your replies.  I don't mean to knock the products, just wanted an honest opinion from the happy users out there.  I'm currently setting up my Ademco Vista 20P for security but would like to use X10 products for convenience and susurveillance Having said that, do you all think the 4 camera system for $349 at this page would be a good start:
http://www.x10.com/products/xx17a_ed_3c3n_daynight0118.html
It seems to have most of everything I was looking for in a sursurveillancestem then later I can the keyfob and lighting controls.  Piecing it together is also an option, but seems a lot more costly.  I really like tinkering with cool gadgets like these so even if it wasn't perfect in the end I'd still have fun putting it together!  Thanks in advance guys, enjoy your weekend
Mike

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 01:02:05 PM »

From what I've read here, most of the negative attitudes seem to come from people who don't understand how X-10 works and get frustrated when it doesn't work after they plug it in.

There's a lot of experience on this board to help people who want help, and X-10 is a fun & learning experience if you look at it from the good side.  ;)

I suggest, right at the start, think of everything in your house that you would someday like to have automated along with all you surveillance wants... cuz once you start you won't want to stop.  :D

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 04:11:07 PM »

Thanks for your replies.  I don't mean to knock the products, just wanted an honest opinion from the happy users out there.  I'm currently setting up my Ademco Vista 20P for security but would like to use X10 products for convenience and susurveillance Having said that, do you all think the 4 camera system for $349 at this page would be a good start:
http://www.x10.com/products/xx17a_ed_3c3n_daynight0118.html
It seems to have most of everything I was looking for in a sursurveillancestem then later I can the keyfob and lighting controls.  Piecing it together is also an option, but seems a lot more costly.  I really like tinkering with cool gadgets like these so even if it wasn't perfect in the end I'd still have fun putting it together!  Thanks in advance guys, enjoy your weekend
Mike
The kit you linked to will satisfy you, except when you use the  Night watch Cam ! Many expect this low light cam to work in very  dark areas infact you'll have a hard time getting a image inside during the daytime with out extra light! You'll still need exta lights probly Flood lights in order to see a image at night! This is the one cam I wish I never got ::) :-[ :( the rest I love! ;)
Note: This is a 3 cam deal not 4! the wording makes one think it is 4!
The ninja mounts will mean you can cover the area of 6-9 cams
Welcome aboard! You'll have fun tinkering ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

theriddler33

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 06:31:36 PM »

Actually the package I was looking at was more toward the bottom of the page and it is a 4 camera package.  Either way it has the same low-light cameras included with the kit.  I've read that these are difficult to get to function properly as you have learned too.  I'm looking forward to getting a system and hooking it up and this package looks like a good start.  I'm confident on the hardware end of it, but I haven't researched the software end of it...yet.  I'm open to suggestions on what kind of software to use or stay away from.  I'll be doing some research of my own, but your suggestions would be welcomed too.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Vandalized Victim

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 03:24:29 PM »

I started buying X10 prodcuts I think since 2002 when my front yard was vandalized. I bought the 4 night watch cams plus internet survellence package. Despite the interent option was never worked out, I bought the VCR commander it worked quite well all these years. I bought the security console a few months ago when my house was attached by a gang-punks three times in one month. You have to keep patientce to do a lot of research in order to get understanding how it works.

I like the X10 concept, but I'm just not HAPPY when I ordered one prodcut, X10 sales tems shipped me another similar products when the products I did order sold out! Shouldn't they ASK me first, if I don't want it, please give me a refund, before they ship!!! :-\ That's hard sell.

I like this forum becuase this is nothing to do with X10 greedy, unethical sales team. This forum is strictly knowledge base. The only contribution X10 ever created.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 06:44:27 PM »

theriddler33 : I've never used the software included in that kit, so I can't comment on it! I have used the Xray vision (free software) and it works well, even detects motion and highlights it! I don't remember if it can utilize the ninja pan & tilt though!
You could look into some other webcam software searching google!
I currently use ActiveHome Pro with the iWitness plug-in and it does everything I need! ;) :D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 11:29:30 PM »

Well, I've already ordered some motion detecting security flood lights (without cameras) and THEN I get on the forum and read all of the negative posts about their products (that's the way it goes!). 

I love my X10 floodlight!!! It turns on lights and a chime inside, as well as being a great floodlight.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

CobraCats

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 01:18:36 AM »

the x10pro products that I have installed have all worked flawlessly, once I had them working (which is the case when you have customers paying for a servise).  I have had to do some re-wiring to fix phase issues but after that they work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.