Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM11A Turning Lights On/Off at unscheduled times - Clock not keeping time  (Read 29311 times)

ralex17

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

In the past few weeks my CM11A has started turning the lights on and off at unscheduled times.  After a recent storm that knocked out the power, this problem has gotten much worse with the lights turning off about 10 minutes after they come on. 

Now I cannot reset the clock either.  I have replaced the batteries, cleared the memory, etc to try and reset the unit.  Maybe its just old and needs replacement.  The time had been changing by several hours every week before the recent incident.  I kept resetting the time, but the time on the CM11A would get off within a few days.

I have had this unit for at least 6 years.  Does this sound like a unit that needs replacing, or can I reset it some how?

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX

In the past few weeks my CM11A has started turning the lights on and off at unscheduled times.  After a recent storm that knocked out the power, this problem has gotten much worse with the lights turning off about 10 minutes after they come on. 

Now I cannot reset the clock either.  I have replaced the batteries, cleared the memory, etc to try and reset the unit.  Maybe its just old and needs replacement.  The time had been changing by several hours every week before the recent incident.  I kept resetting the time, but the time on the CM11A would get off within a few days.

I have had this unit for at least 6 years.  Does this sound like a unit that needs replacing, or can I reset it some how?

One thing that can screw up a CM11A clock is disconnecting from the PC but leaving the cable dangling from the CM11A, where it acts like an antenna.

If you haven't been doing that, it's probably time to get a new CM11A.  You can pick up one of the RCA-branded CM11A (RCA HC60RX) units  for $10 (+ $6 S&H).  It's  currently listed on the "Daily Specials" page at X-10's website.  It's perfectly compatible.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

ralex17

That's probably it.  Since I had to keep setting the time, I was leaving the cord dangling out of the unit.  I will unplug it and see if I can get it to function correctly.

Thanks a million. 

Can you buy just the cable?  I would sure like to get a new one, hopefully one that is longer.  I tried a USB-serial adapter with Win XP, but could never get it to work.  That would be the best solution since I have to drag my old computer out to connect to the CM11A since my laptop does not have a serial port.

Charles Sullivan

That's probably it.  Since I had to keep setting the time, I was leaving the cord dangling out of the unit.  I will unplug it and see if I can get it to function correctly.

Please let us know the results, one way or the other.

Can you buy just the cable?  I would sure like to get a new one, hopefully one that is longer.  I tried a USB-serial adapter with Win XP, but could never get it to work.  That would be the best solution since I have to drag my old computer out to connect to the CM11A since my laptop does not have a serial port.

Hmm... I've run the old ActiveHome and CM11A on a laptop under Win XP with a USB->Serial adapter without problems.  Is the adapter properly recognized in your Windows Device Manager listing?   The main problem I could see is if the adapter driver configured the serial port above  the COM1-COM4 range supported by ActiveHome.

For what I'd seen people asking for standard CM11A cables alone on eBay, you could buy two of the RCA CM11A kits  :)

If you need longer, the simplest is to get a DB-9F->DB-9M serial extender cable.  A local computer shop in my area has 6-footers for around $5 (but they're appreciably more expensive in places like BestBuy or CompUSA).

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

ralex17

Unplugging the cable seems to have done the trick.  Thanks again.

When I checked the clock setting, it would not read the time from the CM11A.  But I manually turned on a couple of lights through the ActiveHome software.  When I checked the time again it was set to the correct time. 

I will try the USB serial adapter again.  It may just be the wrong COM port.  I have never tried it with any other serial device, so I don't know for sure if it's functional.

Charles Sullivan

Unplugging the cable seems to have done the trick.  Thanks again.

When I checked the clock setting, it would not read the time from the CM11A.  But I manually turned on a couple of lights through the ActiveHome software.  When I checked the time again it was set to the correct time. 

I will try the USB serial adapter again.  It may just be the wrong COM port.  I have never tried it with any other serial device, so I don't know for sure if it's functional.

Generally the first thing I do when starting up Activehome on a PC is verify that I'm seeing the clock ticks from both the PC and the CM11A in the "Set Interface Clock" window.

If your USB->Serial adapter isn't showing up under COM ports in the Device Manager, either the Win XP driver for your particular adapter model isn't installed or you need a newer version of the driver.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Aaron Wasilewski

Hello. I have a related question if you don't mond. I have the older Activehome application running v1.42 on WinXP SP2 and have seen problems for a while. I only today became aware that XP SP2 does not support my older CM11A controller in serial. If I understand you correctlly, I can continue to use my v1.42 application with a serial-USB adaptor and everything can stay programmed as is?

Your reply is appriciated.

Regards

Charles Sullivan

Hello. I have a related question if you don't mond. I have the older Activehome application running v1.42 on WinXP SP2 and have seen problems for a while. I only today became aware that XP SP2 does not support my older CM11A controller in serial. If I understand you correctlly, I can continue to use my v1.42 application with a serial-USB adaptor and everything can stay programmed as is?

Your reply is appriciated.

Regards

Hard to say.  I haven't personally had a problem running AH 1.42 on my Win XP systems with either direct serial connection or a USB->Serial adapter.  However I suspect that there's more emphasis on USB than direct serial in Win XP and in the system bios on modern motherboards.

I'm hoping to hear from others who have had a problem with direct serial as to whether or not a USB->Serial adapter solves the problems they've been having, but so far nothing.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

mikesa

I am using AH 1.42 with a serial to USB adapter with XP SP2.  I set the properties in the icon for AH software to run in windows 95 mode for compatibility and I use Com3 and it works just fine.
Mike

Charles Sullivan

I am using AH 1.42 with a serial to USB adapter with XP SP2.  I set the properties in the icon for AH software to run in windows 95 mode for compatibility and I use Com3 and it works just fine.
Mike

Did you have a problem with connecting the CM11A directly to a serial port Mike?

What I'm wondering is whether the USB->Serial adapter cures an AH problem observed with direct serial connection under Win XP - aside of course from the problem of a PC not having a real serial port.   :D

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CM11A Turning Lights On/Off at unscheduled times - Clock not keeping time
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 04:17:44 PM »

I had mine on Com2 and compatibility mode helped in XP Pro SP2. Not 100% if memory serves me; but better.

mikesa

Re: CM11A Turning Lights On/Off at unscheduled times - Clock not keeping time
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 04:58:59 PM »

Mike

Did you have a problem with connecting the CM11A directly to a serial port Mike?

What I'm wondering is whether the USB->Serial adapter cures an AH problem observed with direct serial connection under Win XP - aside of course from the problem of a PC not having a real serial port.   :D

I had no problems with the direct serial connection but I kept managing the cm11a with an older computer that had serial.  My newer/better computer had no serial port so, therefore the serial to usb adapter.  Once again never had any problems with direct serial, but that was also on a windows 2000 OS.

Mike

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.