Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPS3 & KR19A not working as on/off fan control.  (Read 23259 times)

460Racer

XPS3 & KR19A not working as on/off fan control.
« on: November 04, 2006, 09:12:52 PM »

I've just installed a XPS3 in place of a SPST wall switch for my ceiling fan (no light). The problem is the XPS3 does not respond either to On or Off commands from the KR19A control. The XPS3 works correctly manually. The dials in the XPS3 are set to A1 and the KR19A is set to A1. I have connected the line (always hot), the Load (the fan), and the Neutral (white return wire) to the correct connections on the XPS3. I'm not using the control wire because this is the only switch used in this fan circuit. The instructions say that the XPS3 does not require the use of a Neutral wire at the wall box for SPST function... but it will not work manually (or with the KR19A) if I don't connect it to the switch. I've also tried putting the ground (bare copper wire) on the Neutral connector with no effect other than it still works manually. What have I missed? In another forum I read that the XPS3 was the switch to use for fan control. I'm only using this setup for single speed fan control. I tried changing the KR19A to another setting and then back to A1 but it still doesn't work properly.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: XPS3 & KR19A not working as on/off fan control.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 09:23:00 PM »

I've also tried putting the ground (bare copper wire) on the Neutral connector with no effect other than it still works manually.

I'm not an electrician, but I'm sure no good can come from this.

What are you using for a Transceiver?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 07:00:40 AM »

You may want to reread the instructions. In italics it basically said. A neutral IS needed but in a SPST the traveler [control] wire is not needed.
If possible try the transceiver you have in a different outlet to see if it is a signal problem.
If you are using the AHP CM15A as the remotes receiver. Make sure the Tranceived House Code is ON for A.
Tools
Hardware Configuration
Tranceived House Codes.

460Racer

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 03:36:13 PM »

You are correct I misread the instructions in italics. I do need neutral wire in the wall box and I am using it. The XPS3 and KR19A are the only pieces of automation control in my house so I'm not using a traveler wire. I was expecting the the KR19 to directly control the XPS3 with no other interface required. Am I wrong about that?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »

I was expecting the the KR19 to directly control the XPS3 with no other interface required. Am I wrong about that?

Yes. You need to convert (Transceive) the RF remote signal onto the power line.

That was why I asked that question at the start to help understand your problem.  ;)

If your not sure about Transceivers, you can search X-10's website for TM751, RR501 and CM15A to see what they are.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 04:32:06 PM »

As Puck said you need a transceiver that takes the RF Remote Commands and sends them over the powerline to the switch. The TM751 and RR501 are two of the transceivers with the RR501 being the better of the two. It also has a powerline receiver in it so it can be turned on and off on the house unit code [1 or 9] it is set to. The TM751 has an RF only Receiver in it and can be turned on or off on the house code unit 1 by a remote but not any powerline signals. Also that is why the TM751 will blindly step on any other X10 Powerline Signals as it can't see them and wait.

460Racer

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 03:11:52 PM »

Okay gentlemen, I've got it now. I'll determine which transciver I need for this project and get on with it. I'll probably add some other automation in the process. Oh yes, I'll not be using the ground wire for the Neutral connection on anything either. I just tried it to see if it would make a difference for some reason that I didn't know. I know the neutral and ground wires are electrically the same in the main breaker panel. The ground is for safety purposes in case the hot wire shorts out on the frame of some fixture. It gives the 120 a path to go and cause the breaker to pop. I also understand the two phases of 120 in the house/main panel that make the 240. But I'm still learning, thanks. I may be slow but my work is poor. :)   

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 04:36:32 PM »

At the switch end there may actually be a small voltage between the Neutral and the Ground wire as the circuits current may have a small voltage drop from the wires resistance. Back to the common in the main box.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.