Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zones blinking (slowly) on DS7000 Powerhouse Console  (Read 23738 times)

doughayman

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Zones blinking (slowly) on DS7000 Powerhouse Console
« on: November 05, 2006, 08:03:56 AM »

Hi everybody,

I have a DS7000 Powerhouse security system.

I'm at a loss here.  I have 10 door/window sensors and 2 motion sensors installed in my configuration.  All was working for several weeks.  Brand new alkaline batteries were placed in every sensor.  My console is plugged in (A/C) and has a battery backup.  All Zones were installed/registered correctly.  I'm in Run 1 mode, so I don't get the chimes.  Things were working fine.

All of a sudden yesterday, my Zone 8 (window) starts blinking slowly on my console.  According to the user's manual, it means that the main console hasn't communicated with the sensor in the last 4 hours.  The documentation says that it could be because of bad batteries.  I replaced the batteries in this sensor, to no avail.  Same problem.

Now today, zone 10 (window) and 11 (motion) are similarly blinking slowly (red).  Changed the batteries on these zones, again to no avail.  Something is
amiss here.

Does anyone have any ideas ?  I haven't gone through the process of re-installing all zones, because it is a pain in the neck to do so, every time something goes awry.   Does anybody have a simple solution or suggestion here ?

Many thanks,

Doug
doug@expss.com

ttfd1126

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Zones blinking (slowly) on DS7000 Powerhouse Console
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 09:09:16 AM »

I have a similar problem but mine appears to be the remote doing it.  I can get the alarm to arm if I bypass the flashing zone.  I can also get the slow flashing to go away if I unplug and remove the batteries from the console then reinstall everything from scratch.  If Everything works normally for a couple of days and then I am back to the same thing.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 09:15:07 AM »

If the batteries in the window/door sensor did infact go dead and you installed new ones you may have to re-register the sensor with the base. I have not run into any low battery problems yet.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

doughayman

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 10:44:28 AM »

Re-installing everything whenever there is a problem OR arming the system bypassing these "malfunctioning" zones is NOT an option.  It defeats the entire purpose of having this alarm system.

The batteries are good too - I have a battery strength tester, and they are definitely not dead.

Thanks for your guys' feedback, but I am looking for solutions that I can live with - I cannot afford to short-change the system, for the sake of getting things to work.

Keep the suggestions coming...........

Thanks,

Doug
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 10:46:29 AM by doughayman »

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 11:57:20 AM »

Sounds like an RF reception problem at the base for some of the sensors.

From the base's location, look in a straight line to each of the sensors, particularly the problem ones... visualize all the obstacles the signal has to pass through. Look for stoves, fridges, hidden metal (duct work), etc.

You may have to reposition the base.

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 12:12:55 PM »

You also might need a 731 repeater for the more distant ones.  However, you said it worked for weeks, so I'm not sure.  Reinstall, move the base closer and see if it works, if not you may need a new base unit.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 02:50:50 PM »

I have a DS7000 Powerhouse security system... ...I have 10 door/window sensors and 2 motion sensors installed in my configuration.  All was working for several weeks...

...All of a sudden yesterday, my Zone 8 (window) starts blinking slowly on my console.  According to the user's manual, it means that the main console hasn't communicated with the sensor in the last 4 hours.  The documentation says that it could be because of bad batteries.  I replaced the batteries in this sensor, to no avail.  Same problem.

Now today, zone 10 (window) and 11 (motion) are similarly blinking slowly (red).  Changed the batteries on these zones, again to no avail...

...Does anyone have any ideas ?

Sounds like an RF reception problem at the base for some of the sensors.

From the base's location, look in a straight line to each of the sensors, particularly the problem ones... visualize all the obstacles the signal has to pass through. Look for stoves, fridges, hidden metal (duct work), etc.

You may have to reposition the base.

doughayman: Excellent troubleshooting and detailed post for a NEWBIE! :)

Puck: ON THE MONEY! (as usual ;) )

I'd like to EXPAND on Puck's RF theory.

I have a Door/Window Sensor on my backyard shed door (~50-60' from the PS561). I'm too lazy to go through the effort of looking up EXACT model numbers, but it *WAS* the old style with the 9V battery. Every WINTER, it would go into "slow blink" mode due to the cold reducing the battery voltage. I upgraded to the 2 AAA model and it's better.

Regarding the SR731, I experienced a similar problem as Snoochy: Re: Smart [DUMB!] RF Repeater ( SR731 ) when I bought the SR731 to attempt to solve my "shed in the winter" problem - REPEATS rendering the whole system unusable. >:(

Onto your troubleshooting:

• How far from the base are the "problem" sensors (8, 10, 11) compared to some "non-problem" sensors?
  • Have you installed / moved any electrical device NEAR the base recently?
     - It's possible that the "problem" sensors are far enough away that the base was marginally hearing them and you added a "NOISY" appliance near the base that sort of raised the "squelch" level, covering those weak sensors with noise.
  • Raise the base higher - I moved my 2' higher onto a different shelf in my den and it helped somewhat.
  • Change the angle of the base antenna - this is a real TRIAL-AND-ERROR task! 10 degrees left, 10 degrees right, front, back, 20 degrees, etc...

Please keep us informed of your progress. :)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 05:10:46 PM »

Just to add a bit to TTA's antenna tweaking... Every unit I have that has an antenna, I found works better in the horizontal position then vertical. I Have the SR731 and use it to get a signal to my Ninja. The Ninja won't work at all with the antenna vertical but does 100% when the antenna is horizontal.  Just something else you can try.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 09:23:23 PM by KDR »

doughayman

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 09:03:22 PM »

Thank you all for your prompt and descriptive problem analysis.  I have taken your advice and moved the base to a more central location.  Yes, the problematic sensors were all much further away from the base than the majority that were working.  So, perhaps that is the issue.  I just swapped out my broadband cable service's modem to an upgraded modem (that also supports voice).  Maybe this new device is creating more interference ????

In any event, all good suggestions.  I have been running successfully with my new central base location for a few hours.  I will report back in a week, to let you all know how I fared.

Thanks again for the great community response :)

Best Regards,

Doug

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 10:54:41 PM »

Thank you all for your prompt and descriptive problem analysis...

Thanks again for the great community response :)

In addition to saying "Thank You", which is always appreciated (and often NOT communicated :( ), *PLEASE* don't forget to CLICK on "Helpful" for the Member(s) whose information you benefited from! :)

Snoochy

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 03:28:11 PM »

I'm not sure if you need the OnAlert software or not, but since I have it, I keep an eye on all my motion sensors and door/window sensors as they report in to make sure they are communicating properly and on a regular basis.  Mind you, the report is through the CM15A rather than the DS7000...but since mine are pretty close together, I have a good sense that they are functioning and transmitting.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 08:47:13 PM »

Mind you, the report is through the CM15A rather than the DS7000...but since mine are pretty close together, I have a good sense that they are functioning and transmitting.

GOOD Point Snoochy. That's good for people to know both should be almost next to each other, if possible.

Because if you're away and checking online, OnAlert could be telling you everything is GREAT, but the DS7000 Base has flashed a zone out and ignoring it.

The same will be true for the opposite... the CM15A may miss check ins and make you think something is wrong, when it's not.

I don't have OnAlert, but I guess you almost have to have parallel triggers from the PC as well as the DS7000, just to make sure your security works even when your not sure (unless of course the zone sensor really is bad.)

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 08:53:34 PM »

When you register the window/door sensor with AHP, OnAlert the program shows you the state of the sensor. It will also alert you when the batteries are going dead. Does the DS7000 have a low battery indicator for the sensors?

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 09:12:03 PM »

Does the DS7000 have a low battery indicator for the sensors?

Sort of, if the sensor's battery is too low and the base doesn't receive the check in, the base just sets the zone LED to slow flash mode and renders that zone dead. But you have no way of knowing this until you get home.

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 09:24:52 PM »

...Does the DS7000 have a low battery indicator for the sensors?

YES! Zones blinking (slowly) on DS7000 Powerhouse Console. ;)

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.