Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help understanding PanTilt Pro functions:  (Read 20148 times)

Dishguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help understanding PanTilt Pro functions:
« on: November 07, 2006, 01:52:49 PM »

Hi,
New to the board. I'm trying to find out if the Ninja Pan Tilt unit can be set in such a way that (using just one camera) it will
go through a preset panning routine. In other words without using a computer/software but just with the controller unit, can
it be set to pan (left to right) a specific angle ... say about a 90 degree swing over and back. Then can it be set to automaticly
continue this panning action... back and forth, back and forth with out any tilt change or need to continuoustly be running the remote controller. I'm wanting to find something that can pan either trough a window or outside if possible accross the front of several parked cars. With a lens of appropriate power to easily read the license numbers and with the panning process, I could have a recording of all cars (only 3-4 can be parked here at one time) stopping to come in to register at a motel desk.

Thanks!

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: Help understanding PanTilt Pro functions:
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 04:19:08 PM »

Dishguy

With the pan n tilt remote you can program 4 different presets (locations). Once they are programed you can press the sweep button on the Pan n Tilt remote and the camera will scan the four presets continuously until you stop it.

As far as being able to read a license number across the street, I guess that depends on what camera you get. I will leave that to someone else to comment on. Most is not all of the X10 cameras do not perform very well in low light.

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Dishguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 05:50:59 PM »

Hi Jim and thanks for your helpful response.

I just want to be perfectly clear about your comment..... so I could pan the camera (pan-tilt unit) via the remote to the left to point "A" then run it to the right to point "B" and somehow "save" those two end points.
(I assume I don't need to select 4 points which would include a tilt change at each end of the pan travel... but could do so if desired.)
Next I can "command" the pan-tilt unit to commence performing the continuous panning action.... left to right.. to left to right, etc..
until or if I chose to stop it. This can all be accomplished using only the pan-tilt unit (Ninja version?) and the wireless remote controller?
Again... this doesn't need to involve a computer and software, correct?   I'm wondering what the "life expenctancy" of this unit would be if this action is continued 24/7/365 ... Is the quality there to bear this repeated action or is it "flimsy" and lots of plastic moving parts that will likely become worn and bind or crack or will the motor likely fail with such constant motion? 

As far as the camera... I have access to many different "security" camera suppliers who would have many choices of small cameras and various lenses. The location of the "cars" vs. the camera is quite close... not across a street. The distance wouldn't be more than 30-50 feet I would guess so a medium telephoto lens would probably suffice and also could chose a low lux unit to help visibility at nite.

The reason I'm trying to be detailed is that I cannot get good answers from the X-10 supplier. Even the "higher level" tech support staff told me it was not possible to do what I think I understand you to say is possible. They seem inept at describing the functions or features. I found this to be true also of another of their products... I finally found my answer from a third party and then was able to confirm the information which was correct... while the X-10 support staff seem totally ignorant of what I was asking and didn't understand the product or have any answers to my questions.

Thanks again and best regards.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 07:42:40 PM »

I just want to be perfectly clear about your comment..... so I could pan the camera (pan-tilt unit) via the remote to the left to point "A" then run it to the right to point "B" and somehow "save" those two end points.
(I assume I don't need to select 4 points which would include a tilt change at each end of the pan travel... but could do so if desired.)

You are correct. You scan the camera to the desired location and slide the (normal/program) switch to program and press (P1). This stores that location in memory. You repeat this for each of the four position buttons. I think it will scan through All four positions whether you have them selected or  not and if that is the case you would simply program them in groups of two. For example P1 and P2 would be programed for the same location and P3 and P4 for the second location.

Next I can "command" the pan-tilt unit to commence performing the continuous panning action.... left to right.. to left to right, etc..
until or if I chose to stop it. This can all be accomplished using only the pan-tilt unit (Ninja version?) and the wireless remote controller?
Again... this doesn't need to involve a computer and software, correct?

That is what the Sweep button on the remote is for. The remote I have is model CR14A.  With this remote no computer is required.

I'm wondering what the "life expenctancy" of this unit would be if this action is continued 24/7/365 ... Is the quality there to bear this repeated action or is it "flimsy" and lots of plastic moving parts that will likely become worn and bind or crack or will the motor likely fail with such constant motion?

I don't know how long they will last. I do believe the gears are plastic. I have never run mine for very long in a continuous sweeping mode. I have had several of these units for 3+ years mounted outside exposed to the elements and have yet to have one fail.

Hope this information is helpfull. If you have any additional questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 07:44:49 PM by JimC »
_ _ ...  ..._ _

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.