Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Outdoor camera housing/cable for Vanguard  (Read 20233 times)

bakerb

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Outdoor camera housing/cable for Vanguard
« on: November 08, 2006, 12:15:26 AM »

I have found a great outdoor housing for the Vanguard camera. It's a bit large, but it works well, and only costed $47 + $10 shipping (a lot less than the Sentinel dome, which X10 doesn't sell seperately). The eBay item number is 5846650201. This guy should have more available. Mine came with a cracked dome. The seller replaced it quickly and covered my shipping cost.

I also found a 100' cable that -includes power-. Actually this was from a link I found on a forum reply here. http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CB-54/130/100%22#39;_VIDEO_CAMERA_EXTENSION_CABLE_.html. I do have a question though: Is the AC adapter plug for the Vanguard a 2.1mm or 2.5mm connector?

tjdavj

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Outdoor camera housing/cable for Vanguard
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 01:32:41 AM »

I also found a 100' cable that -includes power-. Actually this was from a link I found on a forum reply here. http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CB-54/130/100%22#39;_VIDEO_CAMERA_EXTENSION_CABLE_.html. I do have a question though: Is the AC adapter plug for the Vanguard a 2.1mm or 2.5mm connector?

I just picked up a couple of these cables, and the power connectors are NOT the correct ones for the Vanguard. The DC connector that X10 uses has a smaller inner pin (1.7mm) than the standard 2.1mm connector on the extension cables. They do have an adapter from 2.1mm to 1.7mm, [Item#: DCA-4] which will work on one end, but they do not have a 1.7mm to 2.1mm adapter for the other end.

I have looked at these cables and personally I have my doubts about running 15v @500ma thru 100 ft of that cable. I think it would probably result in a considerable voltage drop, so I will be hooking up the power supply much closer to the camera.

The camera housing looks good, although it looks like it has the same problem the Sentinel housing does. The camera will have an obstructed view when tilted to 0 degrees horizontal. Not that much of an issue if you can mount it high enough. It's definitely cheaper that the Sentinel housing.

Hope the info helps.

bakerb

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 02:15:37 AM »

Thanks for the details about the cable (I was afraid it was the wrong power plug). As for the camera housing:

The camera is on an adjustable mount inside the dome. I was able to adjust it so that the camera just clears hitting the dome by 1/8" or so. This allows for excellent vertical range (more than I need). Since this is a large dome, it really does work well. The one thing that may be a hindrance is the tinted dome for night viewing, but I've tried it and night shots are still very useable with the tinted dome.

herb4569

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 08:19:12 PM »

Does anyone have updated information on available Vanguard housings?  I wish I had read this forum last November and obtained one from Ebay.  Unfortunately that Ebay item appears to no longer be available.

Thanks!

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 11:33:31 PM »

Does anyone have updated information on available Vanguard housings?  I wish I had read this forum last November and obtained one from Ebay.  Unfortunately that Ebay item appears to no longer be available.

Thanks!

Seems like I saw one somewhere say try a Google search for a Domed housing for a video camera. You may have to try a few searches, you should be able to fins something.

Tom j

darkstarz

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • USMC - Semper Fi - Once a Marine, Always a Marine
    • Darkstarz World
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 03:21:24 PM »

Call me crazy and some actually do, but I've had my Vangaurd camera for a couple of years now, have it mounted outside up under the eaves a bit, and have not had any issues at all. I had to lengthen the power cable about 4 feet to get the power adapter inside, but other than that, there is no cover, dome or anything. It's position is open to the West and North weather, which is as bad as you can get considering I live in Michigan. It has done very well with all the rain, snow, sleet and ice (knock on wood!) to be honest, but I will say for the sake of other's peace of mind, I do not recommend it for everyone. But if you live a bit down south, say the midwest, and canmount it up under your eaves so it isn't fully engulfed when it rains, it may just be alright for you.
  But if you really value your money, time and effort, and like your Vangaurd, it'd be worth the investment to find a means of covering it. I really like the dome kit used for the Sentinel which I just bought for the wife (she loves watching her birds and other critters up close) but do not think it'd work very good for the Vangaurd by any means as it'd sit down below the bottom half of the dome kit and you would lose viewing area.
Larry S.
http://www.darkstarz.com
The impossible we do immediately,
Miracles may take us a day longer.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 08:56:10 PM »

...I have looked at these cables and personally I have my doubts about running 15v @500ma thru 100 ft of that cable. I think it would probably result in a considerable voltage drop, so I will be hooking up the power supply much closer to the camera....
I use a 100ft extension cable to my Sentinel for both the video and power and don't have any problems.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.