Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: On Alert and downloadable macros  (Read 18003 times)

jeth

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
On Alert and downloadable macros
« on: November 11, 2006, 09:42:36 AM »

I don't see any mention of this in these forums, but it was discussed in the thread on the advertisement web page.

It was mentioned that you can't download your On Alert macros to the Active Home Pro unit.  One or more other posters said this would probably be a deal breaker because they don't leave their computer on all the time.

This certainly is something that should be considered for an update.  People are energy conscious as well as security conscious.  Also, if they have a direct DSL or cable connection to the internet, they might not want to leave their computer turned on all the time.  They could repeatedly disable and re-enable the network, but that just adds more work for them instead of simplying their work. 

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: On Alert and downloadable macros
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 11:01:51 AM »

I don't see any mention of this in these forums, but it was discussed in the thread on the advertisement web page.

It was mentioned that you can't download your On Alert macros to the Active Home Pro unit.  One or more other posters said this would probably be a deal breaker because they don't leave their computer on all the time.

This certainly is something that should be considered for an update.  People are energy conscious as well as security conscious.  Also, if they have a direct DSL or cable connection to the internet, they might not want to leave their computer turned on all the time.  They could repeatedly disable and re-enable the network, but that just adds more work for them instead of simplying their work. 

Agreed!  However if OnAlert works the way I think it does, the CM15A firmware would have to be changed in order for it to be able to execute downloaded OnAlert macros.  Since the CM15A firmware is not upgradeable without replacing the entire CM15A, I don't see that happening.

If and when X-10 ever decides to design an "ActiveHome Pro Plus" interface, perhaps they'll take your suggestion (and a bunch of mine) into account.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

jeth

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 11:39:23 AM »

I thought I had read somewhere that the firmware was downloadable; but you obviously are more familiar with it than I am.   

Too bad, even some of my other very tiny hardware devices are upgradeable.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 11:54:11 AM »

I thought I had read somewhere that the firmware was downloadable; but you obviously are more familiar with it than I am.   

Too bad, even some of my other very tiny hardware devices are upgradeable.

X-10 saved a few bucks by not using flash-upgradeable firmware, and it might have worked had they succeeded in making the firmware reasonably bug-free and flexible in the first place.  But alas!

On the other hand they probably wouldn't be able to sell the CM15A at the price they do.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.