Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: False Advertising  (Read 31020 times)

Albert10

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
False Advertising
« on: November 11, 2006, 10:06:06 AM »

I recently purchased the Newest Home Activation Kit.   It was advertised as a complete kit.  The add stated a person could view and control X10 cameras over the internet.  Upon instillation of iwitness I found a key part was missing namely VA11A.  I witness will not work with out it.  I called the company and was informed it was for sale a additional cost.  I informed the customer rep. The add said everything was included to perform the described tasks.  She told me if I wanted to use iWitness part VA11A had to be purchased separately.  This is Bull.  If you have purchased this kit and live in Illinois, go to the Illinois.gov website download a Consumer Fraud complaint form and send it to the Illinois Attorney Generals office.  They will take action!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 10:53:02 AM by Albert10 »

SteveRF

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
Re: False Advertising
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 05:56:55 PM »

Albert,
If you end up keeping the system and expanding, despite your unhappiness, you may want to consider the VR31A cam receiver as an additional addon.
I found the picture quality from the X10 cams to be marginal at best and use the VR31A receiver coupled with a video card that has composite and s-video and audio inputs.  I get a better marginal pic that way...  but u will still need the va11a for usb input into iWitness.

SteveRF

Albert10

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 09:22:06 AM »

Thanks for the info Steve.  I am going to keep the kit but continue to pursue my complaint of False Advertising.  The last Customer Support person I talked to was Angela (would not give her last name) at EXT. # 2623.  She told me her supervisior would get back to me.  This has been over a week ago and nothing.  I have sent a complaint to The Illinois Attorney Generals office, The Federal Trade Comission and the Better Bussiness Bureau.  The last two can be filled out and sent online.  This forum is good but is not read by X10 customer support!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 09:38:08 AM »

This forum is good but is not read by X10 customer support!

Not entirely true!

many from X10 regularly read the forums

but I think they've been told not to reply!
;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Albert10

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 02:41:50 AM »

i just received a reply from the Better Business Bureau of Nevada, BBB of Sea Tac with a case number.  Should be intresting!!

Albert10

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »

Received the following email today!  Feb. 16, 2007

Qty Name SKU Price Sub Total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 USB Video Capture Adapter
See what's included  VA11A-RPLC $0 $0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grand Total   $0.00
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 07:18:32 PM by Albert10 »

trol1374

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 02:11:05 PM »

I just encountered this same problem.  I ordered the software and camera and the ad said I could monitor the camera's via a PC and internet and it didn't say anything about the VA11A (didn't even know I needed it until I got the error while installing everything).
  After a call and a couple emails, I was connected with a CS supervisor.  She is sending me the adapter at no charge.   Nice customer service!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 02:30:50 PM »

trol1374
Nice to see X10 is following up!
Persistence pays off!  ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »

Nice customer service!!!

Something not said often enough about X10. I (myself) do not believe X10 would ever advertise with any false intentions.

X10 technology covers the use of a wide range products, and as many different skill-sets are required for setup and usage. And... the users of X10 range from some who only need to turn on a lamp from across a room... to those who want a totally automated, Internet monitored home.

New ads are composed and uploaded daily. Some "packages" and/or wording.. has on occasion made one wonder... if it had been well thought-out and proof-read. I think sometimes... the ads merely meet the required dead-lines.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 11:57:07 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dkistner

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 08:27:11 AM »

I have a related question. I have exactly the same problem, except I'm not planning to have cameras installed at any near point in time. I haven't yet gotten what I've already ordered to work right, except for a few lamp modules, but that's more of a newbie thing I HOPE.

What I want to know is, how do you prevent the iWitness error screen from popping up when you load Active Home Pro, the one that informs you that you don't have what you need installed and then you have to hit a button to dismiss it? Short of uninstalling the iWitness plugin; or should I do that? Will it trash anything I've already set up, I wonder?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.