Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PLW03 switch not responding to the Off command  (Read 4175 times)

pvignola

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
PLW03 switch not responding to the Off command
« on: November 18, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »

I installed and tested the switch and all was well.  After a few more times of turning on and off via the remote and AHP the switch stopped responding to the off command via the remote and AHP.  I have One incandescent and one light fixture with some high voltage halogen lights.  I believe there is less than the 300 watts the switch is rated for on the switch.  The halogens can be dimmed as I have the same fixture on a dimmer switch.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: PLW03 switch not responding to the Off command
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 04:23:21 PM »

Is the two different sets of lights or did I read it correctly. You have the PLW03 and a Dimmer on the same lights?
More data would be a big help here.

ArtClark

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 05:30:12 PM »

Be sure to verify the power the Halogens require on start-up.  There could be an inrush current that is large enough to fry the switch, shorting the internal triac, locking the switch "ON".   I hope not, and hopefully other circuits are involved (Like the dimmer...) but I have fried a few this way.  Just a thought.

As Brian said (Typed?), More information would be a big help.

pvignola

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 05:32:00 PM »

I have two lights.  One halogen and one incandescent.  There is no dimmer on this switch.  I have the same lights (halogen) on another switch with a dimmer so I know they can be dimmed.

ArtClark

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 05:49:50 PM »

Hmmmm.  I think I've got it.  Two Seperate Circuits.  One is a normal dimmer to a single halogen, which works OK, proving that the halogens can be dimmed.  (Typing this for MY benefit...)  The second has both an identical halogen and an incandescent.

This worked for a while and then stopped.  A simple question, does the switch respond to ANY commands.  (I.E. dim, bright, etc?)  I, (unfortunately) would lean twards bad switch, if there is NO response, unless the X-10 PLC signals are getting sucked up or blocked in some way.  Do you have ANY other X-10 modules to verify the operation of basic X-10 signals?  Is this switch on the same phase as the X-10 device sending the PLC signals, and has anything been added or moved?

Lots of questions, I Know, but for me, at this point, it comes down to checking everything, a step at a time, to see where the problem lies.

Hope this info is of some help.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 06:01:14 PM »

...After a few more times of turning on and off via the remote and AHP the switch stopped responding to the off command via the remote and AHP...

If you can turn an X10 module ON, and then cannot turn it OFF, the first thing that comes to my mind is that you turned ON a NOISE MAKER. Remove *EVERYTHING* from that switch and add back just one 100 watt incandescent bulb and tell us what happens...
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.