Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why I decided against X10  (Read 14440 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Why I decided against X10
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 06:39:37 PM »

(This is probably why my WAF is so sub-zero...) 

The WAF, is the one single most important rating most of us ever get. I balance everything I do with X10 with my WAF.

Interestingly, my WAF dropped (I understand sub-zero) when I put up motion sensor floodlights, until it became apparent how nice it was not to search for keys in the dark. Then, it became apparent how little electric they used since they were almost always OFF. WAF went up.

I mounted Cameras outside.... WAF went way down. I am setting one up for email notice of "package delivery"... WAF back up.

When the X10 WAF gets low.... X10 is my hobbie...after all I should have a hobbie. When my X10 WAF is up... this X10 stuff is cleaver home improvements.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

ArtClark

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 11:52:35 PM »

It's seems to me that I am stealing this topic from the original poster, but I think that I have seen and read enough to be able to reason out an answer to the "Original" question that I was looking for.

The "WEF" / "WAF" ends up being the most important final selection criteria for a security system.

This is not logical and the "True Security" of the system really has nothing to do with the how much "Feeling Security" the system provides.  Of course this doesn't apply to business or to enforcement / Physical response, but for the normal homeowner, it really seems to be the determining factor.

What the Wife needs to be taught about security or what she would consider good security may have nothing to do with what physical security really exists.  (I'm not putting down the female side of humanity in any way, the roles can be reversed in many cases.)

So, to answer myself, and to see if there is any major disagreement, the best system for the average homeowner will always be the one that gives the most comfort to the users, no matter how well it works.  If this is true, and I now believe it to be, then X-10 systems can solidly compete with ANY home system out there.  Problems, difficulties or bugs aside, it can and does work well enough to give people real comfort, which is what it's all about.  If, like the original poster, the difficulties encountered cause the comfort level with the system to drop, then X-10 is not for you.  Hardware and Software glitches aside.

After all of this, and all the great input, I'll stick with X-10 for as long as it makes me Comfy, which could be a long time....

Now if I can only get the WAF into positive numbers, the world will be a great place.. ;D

medvampire

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 02:57:27 AM »

I guess while every one is dropping their 2 cents I might as well and yes I am a noob at X10. I have no worry about if some one does come in my home while I am not there and robs me blind. I will not count on any technology to stop the criminal intent on snatching my goodies when I am not home and my family is not threatened. I do agree that surveillance is a good deterrent but unless the video is stored off site it may prove useless when the thief removes your recording equipment with the evidence of his entrance. I do think the technology is a very good early warning for me to protect my family. When finished I will count on it to be warning for me to know that harm may be on its way. I do feel a gun in this instance would be warranted. I don’t see hand guns as a viable deterrent but a 12 gauge shot gun would work. I want the intruder to know I won’t miss if provoked. After working in emergency rooms in several hospitals I feel even a shot gun my not be an adequate deterrent in the worst case. I see meth heads come in here and if they were to invade my home with my family there they would not stop at shot gun but it would take major injury. I wouldn’t stop any one taking possessions from me, that is why I have insurance, but let some one try to hurt my wife or kids and I will stop them any way I can. X10 is a tool that used correcly can help me protect that witch matters most to me, my family.
Steve
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 03:00:28 AM by medvampire »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 09:50:21 AM »

...X10 is a tool that used correctly can help me protect that witch matters most to me, my family.
Steve
Good point even if you did call your family a witch.  ;)
Sorry I had to do that. The "witch / which" error is one of my worse spelling errors also since spell checkers can't catch it.  I couldn't resist making the observation that a "medvampire" called his family a "witch". Not great for the WAF.
You owe me a correction now.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

medvampire

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 10:33:49 PM »

Good point even if you did call your family a witch.  ;)
Sorry I had to do that. The "witch / which" error is one of my worse spelling errors also since spell checkers can't catch it.  I couldn't resist making the observation that a "medvampire" called his family a "witch". Not great for the WAF.
You owe me a correction now.

Don’t worry about it Steven I will never catch your misspellings. ::)

Dyslexia is a pain in the butt!! I had to carry a spell check in college in the early 90. They were kind of useless when it came to medical terms. I usually do all my post in word and transfer to the forum and even M$ Word is worthless at times.
Steve

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 12:53:44 AM »

...I had to carry a spell check in college in the early 90. They were kind of useless when it came to medical terms. I usually do all my post in word and transfer to the forum and even M$ Word is worthless at times....
The spell check here can be strange also so I sometimes cut and paste also. I can usually notice when I've misspelled a common word but sometimes I have to guess 2 or 3 times before a spell checker can correct it. Even after correcting a word I can turn around and spell it wrong in the next paragraph.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 12:44:53 PM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 01:54:16 AM »

What a great thread! I learned some things!

I had added an (x10) chime and inside light to my X10 floodlight (PR511) set-up.

My wife really liked the idea that if someone entered the yard at night a chime would sound. She even asked me to put the chime in our bedroom, which (of course) I did. I have a better understanding, of the emotional side of security now.

Thanks guys!

Home Automation is an always changing technology

medvampire

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 03:18:10 AM »

I couldn't resist making the observation that a "medvampire" called his family a "witch". Not great for the WAF.
She knows I love her even if she has a wart on the end of her nose. :D(kidding) I have no problems with WAF. She is as much a geek as I. ::) The only thing is her learning curve because I keep changeing how the remotes work due to adding things. She does like the ideal of an outside sensor with a chime due to me working nights. Her only down side is the $$$ I spend but she does understand it takes $$$ to do this stuff. I make it like its work and a drudge but I am having a lot of fun with it. Had the kids thinking the house was haunted the first few days. :o
Steve 

SteveRF

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 12:27:53 PM »

I saw the TOPIC,
I came and muddled my way through some of the WAF "stuff"..and more "stuff"... then realized that it appears no one was actually discussing the TOPIC in brief, to the point terms... so I departed to look for some TOPIC discussions.  and the WAF didn't matter at this point...
I was looking for frank discussions concerning the operations of the Home Automation and Security products... Mine works most of the time...becomes unstable.. gets reset..works again...coughs and supplies me with pretty good security, on and off home automation and not so good video.... and I know why and cannot fix it.. smile

SteveRF

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 01:07:42 PM »

WARNING !

The WEF (Wife emotional factor) is of utmost importance.
It's something that can't be explained by mere mortal men.
It is to be pampered and requires constant attention.
Failing to maintain it can result in reactions of unfathomable phenomena.
It can instill rabid fear and is to guarded against.

Also it does not respond to reason or logic but jewelry and flowers work wonders.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 02:08:31 PM by steven r »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.