Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ahcmd shell  (Read 12898 times)

clunker

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
ahcmd shell
« on: November 14, 2006, 11:12:33 AM »

ahcmd doesn't have a shell mode, does it?  Where you can just enter command after command and have all incoming events printed to standard out?  Seems like a simple, obvious, and very useful thing, instantly enabling full functionality in every language without any additional work.  Easy enough to write if it doesn't already exist, since everything is sent back and forth in text anyway, but I don't want to waste my time writing it if it already exists.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
Re: ahcmd shell
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 11:52:09 AM »

That is a good idea, but to the best of my knowledge no one has written something like that.  If you do write something like that, some consideration would be needed for flags for different run modes.  Not only would you want to be able to have it run forever, but you also might want to be able to specify a timeout or have it stop after receiving a specified number of messages (or both).  You might also want to have it wait for a specific responce (or one of several responses).  You would also want to be able to have the commands to be sent come from either the command line or from stdin. 

Just a few thoughts.

Billaban

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 01:37:10 PM »

Yes, this would be a very useful tool.  Particularly for debug and fault isolation when developing a more elaborate s/w package.  So, has somebody already written one?

David Mark

• Helpful Post Rating: -3
    • Ohio Media Group
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 06:13:23 PM »

Only problem is that ahcmd is unreliable.  It seems to blow up after a few tries every time I use it.  Why not use the SDK instead?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.