Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simple Smart Macro Question from a beginner  (Read 5814 times)

donutlou

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Simple Smart Macro Question from a beginner
« on: November 08, 2006, 10:04:33 AM »

What i really would like to be able to do is set a smart macro and timer to turn my bedroom lights on gradually in the moring. all i have been able to do so far is have them come on full then dim then gradually brighten again. anyone have this set up in their programming?

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: Simple Smart Macro Question from a beginner
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 10:40:34 AM »

That is the way a standard lamp module works. What you need is a two way lamp module  I think the model number is (LM14A).

To do what you want with a standard module would require that instead of turning the module off you set it to 1 or 2 percent. This will allow you to gradually brighten it.

The LM14A has a soft start which allows you to brighten the lamp from full off without having to turn it full on first.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 10:42:26 AM by JimC »
_ _ ...  ..._ _

donutlou

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:43:16 AM »

i would assume that at 1% its in all intents and purposes 'off' correct?
thanks a lot
probably just get the 2 way module

JimC

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 10:56:54 AM »

i would assume that at 1% its in all intents and purposes 'off' correct?

Give it a try. As the last step in your macro instead of an off command set the lamp to 1%. In a totally dark room you may see some light. I use the 2 way modules so I don't know if at 1% there any vissable light.

The 2 way lamp modules are nice and they also have a few other features that the standard modules don't have. Check them out on the X10 home page. ;)
_ _ ...  ..._ _

donutlou

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 11:08:58 AM »

thanks again,
one more question
where can i find in depth directions and definitions of the functions of ahp and its smart macros, like what exactly are flags and what "set absolute" means etc...
the manual is very simple in describing most of the features.
thanks
chris

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 11:34:15 AM »

where can i find in depth directions and definitions of the functions of ahp and its smart macros, like what exactly are flags and what "set absolute" means etc...

I think the user experiences and posts found on this board is your best bet for understanding most AHP features [ie Quirks].

Learning by experimenting [ie PLAYING] is alway fun too...Plus if you can't find an answer to a particular question, you can always ask.  ;)

P.S. Welcome to the board donutlou. Maybe visit GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)? and introduce yourself. [This message was sponsored by the TTA Nudge Foundation.]

JimC

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 12:11:08 PM »

donutlou,

The best source of information about AHP and all its plugins can be found on these forums. Try the search function if you don't find what you need post on these forums and I am sure one of the very knowledgeable users will reply. ;)

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 06:55:49 PM »

thanks again,
one more question
thanks
chris
Search and Ye shall Find! ;) :D ;D
Also try Topic: Having X10 AHP Problems? Please Read This First!  (Read 8565 times) as a good starting point! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 10:07:39 PM »

thanks again,
one more question
thanks
chris

I'm going to try to answer here as I don't recall seeing the information previously discussed at the level  Chris needs to get started.

Flags:
The CM15A interface has 16 memory locations known as flags.  Each flag can only be in one of two states, either SET or CLEARED.
A flag can be put into either state by a macro command and will stay that way until put into the other state.  The importance of the flags is that their states can be tested as part of the conditions determinig what a (Smart) macro does or doesn't do when it receives its trigger signal.  So with flags, the actions of one macro can be conditioned on the previous actions of another (or even the same) macro.

A trivial example: Suppose the "Off" button on your X10 remote is broken so you need to turn a light On and Off with only the "On" button.  You could create a Smart macro triggered by the On button which worked like this:
   Condition: If Flag #1 is Cleared, then Turn On Light and Set Flag #1;
   Else Turn Off Light and ClearFlag #1.

(The Housecode|Unit of the remote's On button and that of the lamp module must be different for the above to work.)

Set absolute:
When setting the dim level of a lamp module, dimming the lamp by say 10% with 'Set Absolute' means the lamp will be dimmed by 10% starting from fully bright.  Without 'Set Absolute', the lamp will be dimmed by 10% starting from whatever level it happens to be at when it receives the dim signal, e.g., if it happens to be dimmed to the 50% level to start with, it will be further dimmed to 40%.

Does this help?

[Edited by CS]
Whoops, I was wrong.  Tuicemen's got some nice tutorial material at http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=8207.msg50204#msg50204
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 10:13:57 PM by Charles Sullivan »
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

donutlou

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 12:27:59 AM »

wow, lots of options... that helps alot. thanks

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.