Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has MyHouse Online ever worked from Day One?  (Read 13527 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Has MyHouse Online ever worked from Day One?
« on: November 17, 2006, 08:04:53 AM »

I don't have it, but I've read every post in the topic.

The question i have to ask is Has MyHouse Online ever worked from Day One?

Does anyone who has it been able to use it and it worked the way is was supposed to from the day it was installed and configured?

It seems to be that the sofware works, but the X10 server is the major problem. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: Has MyHouse Online ever worked from Day One?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:35:05 AM »

I installed it about 5 to 6 weeks ago. It loaded on the computer with no problems. The first time i connected it wouldn't connect. About an hour later it connected and has been working fine ever since. I had an issue with sending emails and that started working OK about 2 days later. Some of the problems with email was the config on my end.

There has been a couple of times since that it wouldn't connect and I would guess it was due to their server being down. But no long term outages that I have seen. I am going through a firewall on the computer and a firewall on the router I have with no problems.

For email most of the time it sends through my email gateway but now and again it will send through X10's gateway. I think how it is setup from what I have seen is as follows. When it first came out it used their gateway then yours. then X10 added the option so you could pick their gateway or your SMTP. I think by selecting your SMTP you are only telling the program to try that connection first. If it can't make the connection it then uses the X10 gateway. What I don't know is if this happens after only one try or if it looks for your SMTP more then once or for a preset time before switching to their gateway.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 08:51:44 AM »

Dan: I've been using it since April and only experienced a few times that the server was down. It worked from the first install on my PC (Win2K) and I never had to adjust my router, my software firewall or my virus detector.

Sounds like I'm one of the lucky ones.  ;)

There's probably a lot more users who have no problems that don't post. But it did seem that there were a lot of recent problems for new users.

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 11:09:21 AM »

I have the MyHouse plug-in, but I have been delaying setting it up because of all the problems that are cited in these forums.  All my other X10 stuff (SmartMacros, iWitness, cameras, timers, sensors, transceivers, switches, etc.) work fine, so I've been hesitant to "fire-up" MyHouse.  If more successes are written about here, I may give it a try.

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 11:50:03 PM »

If more successes are written about here, I may give it a try.

I didn't think I was lucky at the time but I may have been.  I had MyHouse On Line working 30 minutes after I activated it.  My biggest problem was conceptual, that is translating the instruction manual into the real world. Over the next few days I invited several friends to access my computer with it, which they did successfully.  Interestingly enough I haven't used it since but expect to in the future when I have more time.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 07:39:07 PM »

I've had MyHouse since the beta testing! I did have to reconfigure my router but since then the only time I can't connect is if the server is down!
I initially thought I'd use this from work but have since taken another position in which I don't have access to the internet!
Possibly down the road I'll be able to use this more but right now it is only a toy!  ;) :D
The reason so many new users have posted problems was X10 had to create a new set of ID numbers.
The server was only set to recognize a range and this was never changed! ::)
X10 has since edited the server program to recognize the extended range of ID numbers.
Hopefully they edit the server before they start issuing a new range of IDs ??? ::)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

EL34

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • My X-10 projects
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 07:29:11 PM »

It has worked from day one on for me.
No router re-configuring or anything else.
I don't even have an x-10 camera, I am using my existing security camera.

I check my house from my girlfriends house and from two other computers on my local netwoek all the time, with no problems.

I think you are looking at all the people who have problems and post here but there are tone of people that have no problems that don't post here.
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008
My X10 page-> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/home/X10_0.htm

philliec

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 10:36:40 PM »

It has worked and it has not worked!

I work for a huge oil company in the middle east where we are given access to the internet through a broad band proxy server. I just cannot get it to work through this proxy server. However, if I use a dial up account (much slower) with no specified proxy server, then all works fine. I have just given up on trying to go through the proxy server and use GoToMyPc. This program tunnels through everything even at work with all the firewalls and it works perfect. No problems.

One more thing, you read a lot of negative stuff about how AHP does not work, but I must admit that I am completely satisfied. I have it installed in two houses, and all works great. At one point I had a problem where everything started acting up in one house but that was related to a noisy appliance. Once I figured this out everything is back to normal. I am a happy camper with all of this AHP stuff.

Craig
Craig

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.