Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Utilizing TIME & TEMPERATURE Conditions to Control Garage Door  (Read 22589 times)

artk

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Utilizing TIME & TEMPERATURE Conditions to Control Garage Door
« on: November 21, 2006, 07:06:44 AM »

I have a LV module connected to control my garage door, to open and close at preset times.  I would like the garage to open later and close earlier on cold days.      Question, Do you thing if I put a thermostat in series it will work?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how to monitor the thermostat.

If the temp is 50 degrees open at 9:00 Am. If the temp is above open at 7:00Am

Thanks
artk

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Utilizing TIME & TEMPERATURE Conditions to Control Garage Door
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 08:24:52 AM »

I take it you are using AHP to control your Garage Door... if so, why not use a thermostat connected to a PowerFlash (PF284) module?

From reading about it (the PF284), if you connect the thermostat directly and run it in Mode 3, it will issue an ON command to the Unit / House Code when the temperature drops below your setting and send an OFF when it goes above.

In AHP you can use this to trigger a Macro to simply Set or Clear a Flag. Then have your timer(s) (via another Macro) check for this Flag at 7am. If it's cold and the door is not to be opened, do nothing. If it doesn't get opened at 7am, then have it open at 9am.

artk

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 10:28:13 AM »

Puck, your saying to use a powerflash instead of the LV module? Connect a thermostat in series with the PF?
artk

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 10:41:28 AM »

Puck, your saying to use a powerflash instead of the LV module? Connect a thermostat in series with the PF?
artk

No. Just use a stand-alone PowerFlash with the thermostat connected to it. Leave your current Garage Door setup as is.

The PowerFlash is just to set a Flag in AHP when the temperature drops below your per-set level.
Use this Flag as a condition for when to open your door.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 05:11:09 PM »

I have a LV module connected to control my garage door, to open and close at preset times.

What is an LV module? X10 Model/Part Numbers are best to describe what you own.

...I would like the garage to open later and close earlier on cold days. 

Question: Do you think if I put a thermostat in series it will work?

No. A (plain-vanilla heating) thermostat is a SPST switch. When the ambient temperature is above the set temperature, the switch is OPEN. So, nothing would work.

Please explain the goal/purpose of your EXISTING setup - WHY do you want the garage door opened by TIMER (fixed times) instead of by RF REMOTE (random times as required)?

As Puck previously stated, wiring the thermostat to the PowerFlash PF284 gives you a TEMPERATURE DEPENDENT FLAG that you can then check in AHP.

TIME is the other condition you'll be checking, so, in pseudo-macro speak:

IF (Temperature > 50) is True  AND Time > 07:00 OPEN Garage Door.
IF (Temperature > 50) is False AND Time > 09:00 OPEN Garage Door.
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

artk

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 04:44:56 AM »

No. A (plain-vanilla heating) thermostat is a SPST switch. When the ambient temperature is above the set temperature, the switch is OPEN. So, nothing would work.

Please explain the goal/purpose of your EXISTING setup - WHY do you want the garage door opened by TIMER (fixed times) instead of by RF REMOTE (random times as required)?

As Puck previously stated, wiring the thermostat to the PowerFlash PF284 gives you a TEMPERATURE DEPENDENT FLAG that you can then check in AHP.

TIME is the other condition you'll be checking, so, in pseudo-macro speak:

IF (Temperature > 50) is True  AND Time > 07:00 OPEN Garage Door.
IF (Temperature > 50) is False AND Time > 09:00 OPEN Garage Door.

The garage door is now connected to a universal module (Low Voltage) The door opens At 4:00 am (and stays open untill 6: 16am) to walk the dogs. Along with this action the garage light comes on. On cold days I would like the door to close at 4: 15am and reopen at 6:10 am to leave for work. Then close again at 6:16am.

Your saying the thermostat will not work at all? Or would have to be wired differently?

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 09:44:18 AM »

artk: There is no practical way (that I can think of) to put a thermostat in the same circuit as your garage door controller. As TTA stated, when the temperature is above the preset level, it would be an open circuit in your garage door controller... so your would not be able to close the door with a timer.

Your saying the thermostat will not work at all? Or would have to be wired differently?

The thermostat would be wired separately.
  • You would connect it's 2 wires to the 2 terminals on the PowerFlash (No other connections to anything else.)
  • Plug this setup in your garage where it can sense the outside temperature (at least when the garage door is open)
  • This setup will send an X10 On & OFF command to ActiveHomePro.
  • You can then use that information in determining when to close the garage door.

I hope this helps make the idea more clear.  :)

artk

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 11:55:03 AM »

crystal clear, thanks again :)
artk

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.