Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Have You Ever Received a PM *BEFORE* Getting DINGed With an "Unhelpful"?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: SNIPERS: Exactly *WHAT* Does Your Anonymous DING Accomplish (in your mind)?  (Read 41803 times)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

I actually don't care who gives the unhelpful or what they feel they are accomplishing!
But I would like to know
Why  ::) as I'm sure many that receive the unhelpful votes would!
To those that have given Unhelpfuls! ( SNIPERS)

• #1.) The DING (or RED Vote) should be by THREAD, not by MEMBER.

• #2.) The Community Organizers (aka Moderators) should be able to SEE who is voting RED or GREEN in order to control the SNIPING.

• #3.) Please view: Buy.Com/ACP-EP Promotion Summary {aka TOO MANY !@#$% THREADS!} for an example, IMHO, of how VOTING *SHOULD* work. (CLICK on the GREEN or RED Rating Bar in the top-left corner of the FIRST post.)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

I got an "unhelpful" Anonymous DING last week too. >:(

Annoying, isn't it?

Maybe not so much for someone who had their previous Total of 60 reset back to ZERO, but, if you've *NEVER* had your Total reset after *MANY* 'Anonymous Snipes', you might WISH that X10 Management would come up with an amiable solution for everyone involved.

[Michael, are you listening?]

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!

• #1.) The DING (or RED Vote) should be by THREAD, not by MEMBER.

• #2.) The Community Organizers (aka Moderators) should be able to SEE who is voting RED or GREEN in order to control the SNIPING.

• #3.) Please view: Buy.Com/ACP-EP Promotion Summary {aka TOO MANY !@#$% THREADS!} for an example, IMHO, of how VOTING *SHOULD* work. (CLICK on the GREEN or RED Rating Bar in the top-left corner of the FIRST post.)
I have to agree with you the votes should be by thread not member!
I don't think Community Organizers need see who is doing the voting as long as the Administrator (X10) is keeping an eye on it regularly!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

I haven't received any un-helpful votes as of yet, or all that many helpful's for that matter. So maybe I should stay out of this... if you think I should...PM me and I will delete this post.

But here is my opinion: If I gave instructions to a member that: Cost him time, money, or just plain aggravation... to no avail. Not only would I feel bad, I also could understand a vote of UNhelpful. However, if I don't know what I did that was UNhelpful, how could I clean-up my act.

Fortunately, when my posts have been ....less than stellar, somebody has always pointed that out very quickly.

But, TTA is getting SNIPED! Some one (or ones) are having fun getting his goat (for whatever reason).

X10 should "track" the unhelpful AND the helpfuls so as we can all be better volunteers. Or just drop the UNhelpfuls so we don't feel bad.

I have to agree (vote #3) the votes should be by thread not member!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 09:11:12 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

I think TTA is getting swiped Anonymously by somebody (or sombodies) who see that -56 on his totals.  It may be the size/colors in 90% of his posts.

Eirther that or somebody doesn't like him personally and has X10 products.

I note that somehow he has managed to collect 56 UnHelpfuls in a very short time.   :(
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

...I don't think Community Organizers need see who is doing the voting as long as the Administrator (X10) is keeping an eye on it regularly!

Sorry Tuicemen, but I have to DISAGREE with you on this point.

*WE*, the *VOLUNTEER* (UNPAID) Community Organizers are the *ONLY*ones keeping an eye on a daily basis on what happens on these X10 Community Forums. :(

i.e. *WE* (or at least some of us) need more access to the "internals"...

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

I note that somehow he has managed to collect 56 UnHelpfuls in a very short time.   :(

You may also wish to note that somehow he has managed to collect 82 Helpfuls in a very short time. ;)

Eirther that or somebody doesn't like him personally...

I'll buy into that theory...

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

But, TTA is getting SNIPED! Some one (or ones) are having fun getting his goat (for whatever reason).

X10 should "track" the unhelpful AND the helpfuls so as we can all be better volunteers. Or just drop the UNhelpfuls so we don't feel bad.

I have to agree (vote #3) the votes should be by thread not member!

I've SEARCHED for and located alternative software solutions (SMF Add-Ons from their website) that the X10 Staff has refused to implement (most probably due to X10 Management not allowing them to).

It is *INDEED* frustrating some days to know that the X10 Staff currently is able to SEE daily who these SNIPERS are, yet they refuse to  (or are prohibited from) doing anything about it. :-X

Despite everything, I'm pretty darn proud of getting 82 Helpfuls since 2006-06-23 @ 00:44:18. But, please realize, to get this to this position, I've also been online here 26d 3h 59m and started *MANY* "Newbie Helpful" threads. IMHO, I've been working HARD!

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

You may also wish to note that somehow he has managed to collect 82 Helpfuls in a very short time. ;)

Eirther that or somebody doesn't like him personally...

I'll buy into that theory...

84 Helpfuls!?! THANK YOU " Whomever You Are " ! ;D ;D ;D

Naw! It's not getting my goat - I just see it as confusing to Newbies who aren't familiar with the history of "how" these "Unhelpfuls" came about. :(
[84 *AND* 56 ? - illogical.]

???

O O O P S !
DING #57 (once again *WITHOUT* a preceeding PM!)

:o

Michael, make *ME* a SysAdmin and I'll take care of this problem (and investigate OTHER forum improvements).

8)

(Mr. Rogers Voice: Children, can you say "SPITEFUL"?  Remember, we practiced this just a few days ago.)

;)

Michael, if the majority of my "Unhelpfuls" came from only a few members, please consider BANNING them (at least temporarily).

:-\

If only there was 'someone' available on the X10 Staff who could MONITOR these things and then take an appropriate action.
(Or at least provide the Community Organizers with some 'useful' feedback.)

Michael?

???

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

88 Helpfuls!?! THANK YOU " Whomever You Are " ! ;D ;D ;D
[88 *AND* 58 ? - illogical.]

O O O P S !
DING #58 (once again *WITHOUT* a preceeding PM!)

I've received more votes, both positive and negative, during the past few weeks that I HAVEN'T been here posting than when I was online several hours per day!

???

58 UnHelpfuls!?! WHAT'S YOUR POINT? " Whomever You Are " ! ::) ::) ::)

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

93 Helpfuls!?! THANK YOU " Whomever You Are " ! 100 or Bust! :D ;D ;D ;D
[93 *AND* 59 ? - illogical.]

O O O P S !
DING #59 (once again *WITHOUT* a preceeding PM!)

I've been busy catching up with a load of ROUND TUITS lately and thus have just been 'popping in', mostly reading the last 10 posts, rarely posting - until today.
Today I decided to spend a couple of hours online, organize a little, and reply to some posts. IMMEDIATELY I get DING #59.
I've asked the X10 Staff to please look into it...

:(

59 UnHelpfuls!?! WHAT'S YOUR POINT? " Whomever You Are " ! ::)

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36

When we first moved to these forums I had the ratings feature turned off. I think that having the ratings doesn't really accomplish much. If you just read the forums you'll very quickly find out who is helpful and who isn't.

Anyway, it wasn't my decision to turn them on, but I do think if they're going to be on it doesn't help anything for people to be able to track down who gave them negative ratings. Anyone who is a visible presence is going to draw both positive and negative attention, and there's not much that can be done about that. It would be nice if people voiced their thoughts on posts that they didn't find helpful. It's the nature of online communities that most people will not though.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

I am not even too sure if any X10 employee is regularly monitoring here. We COs use to get messages from time to time. Now nothing.

nodoze

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

FWIW, my thoughts are that helpfuls or unhelpfuls should tied to the actual posts and it would be helpful (no pun intended) if there was an ability to post an anonymous comment, visiable to all, as to why it was helpful/unhelpful (as an afterthought a comment should maybe be requried).  Any dinging/promoting should be tied to actual actions otherwise it has little value.

If there is going to be any aggregation, I recommend them be as follows:
  • A summary score by thread (+1/-20) so that people know that most people don't recommend that thread.  I personally would like to know that a thread is trash before I go into it...
  • A summary score by user, similar to what is there now.  The main difference I would like to see is that the plus or negative numbers be a hypelink that launches a search page listing their posts that were rated.

In it's current form I find it subjective at best and prone to abuse.  I agree though that a perusal of the forums shows who is truely helpful and who is not...

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10

...A summary score by user, similar to what is there now.  The main difference I would like to see is that the plus or negative numbers be a hypelink that launches a search page listing their posts that were rated....
...In it's current form I find it subjective at best and prone to abuse....
Clearly that is the case but in spite of much previous discussion (do a search), no one that can make such changes has.
It would be better not to have the ratings than to have them the way they are now.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.