Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Have You Ever Received a PM *BEFORE* Getting DINGed With an "Unhelpful"?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: SNIPERS: Exactly *WHAT* Does Your Anonymous DING Accomplish (in your mind)?  (Read 41809 times)

MeThinks

• Helpful Post Rating: 3

This entire thread is unhelpful, who cares, lets figure out the problems with x10 hardware, software and get some real creative ideas going about what we can do with our systems, not our egos....

but still I won't give anyone an unhelpful in this thread, doesn't matter anyways....

8)

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14

I couldn't agree more. 

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

Yes, I agree also. The rantings are not at all meaningful. Personally, I could give a flying rats purple patute about my "rating",  but there are some "regulars" here that have apoplexy if they get a ding.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

Every (Censored) Negative ding I have gotten had no PM that said who have it.  Currently my stats are 15/15.  I personally would not be bothered to eliminate the feature once and for all.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

nodoze

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

In it's current form I agree the "Post Rating" should be deleted.

However it is still there and I found this thread helpful to know what it is about/how it works (and to understand the shortcomings...).  More importantly, were this feature to be replaced with something better as discussed by multiple people in this topic, that would actually be helpful.

In addition to the previous recommendations I posted, I recommend the following (maybe more important) for consideration (though it sounds like maybe there is no leadership looking at this anyway).

It would be ideal to go through a topic quickly and see which post(s) had the best answers to the question at hand and which post(s) people thought were not relevant or helpful as that would save people's time.  Right now people have to spend too much time reading the posts in detail to find the answers(s) and frankly some threads are less valuable than others...

The two things that I (and I believe others) have found helpful in other forums are as follows:

- A voting system for posts in the thread and a color coding for those that are more helpful.  One forum I was on color coded the posts that had the best responses to the questions in beige/off-yellow.  Very helpful !

- On another forum, based upon their posts, one or more people actually get credit for the answer(s).  People can posts questions and based upon complexity and quality of work of person providing the answers points are awarded.  I found that also helpful and encouraged people to help others.  In a given thread the steps to debug the issue were/are in yellow/orange and the final solution or post where the original poster accepts the solution is marked in green (and points awarded).

Dan Lawrence

I just got another negative DING with no PM from the person dinging me. I'm up to 17 and every negative I recieved was ever PM'd. 

COWARDS!!!!!

Dan Lawrence

(Censored!!!)

I just got negative 18, and NO PM.  I don't know who's doing it, but it bugs me to no end.  If you don't like what I post, at least tell me why.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10

(Censored!!!)

I just got negative 18, and NO PM.  I don't know who's doing it, but it bugs me to no end.  If you don't like what I post, at least tell me why.
This is a perfect example of why current rating system is worthless.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page

It may be from eBay users.  On eBay you click the number to find out the underlying comments.  Back when I first registered I erroneously sent a ding to the fellow who posts the X10 special deals because I wanted to find out why anyone would have a problem with his postings.  All I did was increase his negative count by one.

Because of this "feature" I wouldn't put much stock in the negative readings.  It may be nothing more than people trying to find out more information.

If they want to maintain the ratings, they should least put an acknowledgement on it so someone doesn't bump the count by accident.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!

There are some here that all to freely hand out unhelpfuls!
Some don't give a dam about the ratings but others look at this to see who is truely helpful!
An anonymous DING helps no one! It is  best to question the users post as an explanation will more often make the post clearer and very helpful!
Some times a simple typo can be the difference between a helpful post or an unhelpful, bringing it to the users attention can be benificial to every one!

Nothing worse then going a way for a few days then coming back to see the only new info you have is some dings! :(
Want to improve the forum?  ??? ::)
Stop the Anonymous DINGS!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.