Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How Can I Control CFL Bulbs (Inexpensively!)?  (Read 11053 times)

GKGRAD77

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How Can I Control CFL Bulbs (Inexpensively!)?
« on: November 21, 2006, 09:24:09 PM »

COULD ANYBODY HELP ME I AM NEW TO THE FORUM AND I HAVE BEEN USING X10 PRODUCTS FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW.IS THERE ANY WAY OF CONTROLLING COMPACT FLOURESCENTS WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY THOSE EXPENSIVE X10 SWITCHES. I HAVE HEARD OF PEOPLE USING SOCKET ROCKETS TO TURN ON CF BULBS. IS THERE ANY DANGER TO USING THESE BECAUSE THEY STATE FOR INCADESCENT LIGHTS.. I DO NOT NEED THESE TO BE DIMMABLE (OUTSIDE LIGHTS ETC.) I DONT WANT TO GO BACK TO STANDARD BULBS TO BE ABLE TO USE THE CHEAPER X10 DIMMABLE SWITCHES.

THANK YOU ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: How Can I Control CFL Bulbs (Inexpensively!)?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 09:33:05 PM »

These are what I use for my CFL lights and ceiling fansEconomical Switch For Quiet Control of Fluorescent Lights, Ceiling Fans, and Motors.

Someone else will have to tell you about the Socket Rockets.

Please use lowercase... easier to read and doesn't look like yelling.  ;)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 04:26:01 AM »

I use Socket Rockets for all my CFL's in my basement. I program the X10 address using a regular bulb then once programed I install the CFL. I have had no noise issues with them. I have been using CFL's made by Philips. I have read other people saying that sometimes when a standard bulb burns out it sometimes takes out a Socket Rocket. I've never had a CFL go bad yet so I don't know if they will or can do the same or not.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 06:48:59 AM »

I have had two Socket Rockets die when a standard light bulb blows out. The surge takes out the small triac used to control the light.
I now have had a GE CFL in a Socket Rocket for maybe a year with no problems. I have had other brands that do make noise in the X10 signal range. So your milage may vary  ::)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 04:35:33 PM »

I just received my order of socket rockets and run them with CFLs!

Like  Brian H I lost a couple of older socket rockets due to a regular bulb blowing in it! >:( ::)

I have a CFL in the basement which has been in use for years, I never could get that kind of life from regular bulbs!

I was using the CFLs with an appliance module while I was waiting for the socket rockets to come on sale! ;)

My Office just became a little quieter! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Bruno B

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »

Has anyone ever heard the X10 position on using CFLs in the Socket Rockets? I just purchased 4 Socket Rockets after reading in the forums that they work with CFLs. When I read the paperwork that came with them, it did say incandescent only. Now, I'm still using CFLs in them, but I'd like to know the company's standing on why they state incandescent only. Just in case there are disasterous results when the CFL does eventually burn out or something...???

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 04:20:05 PM »

Even though they do not dim. The electronic element that controls the on-off may modify the AC waveform and a CFL may react poorly. Though the worst I have ever seen was one brand of CFL make powerline noise in a Socket Rocket.
If the instructions say don't use them; X10 is covered on the off chance something happens.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 01:10:47 PM »

Has anyone ever heard the X10 position on using CFLs in the Socket Rockets? I just purchased 4 Socket Rockets after reading in the forums that they work with CFLs. When I read the paperwork that came with them, it did say incandescent only. Now, I'm still using CFLs in them, but I'd like to know the company's standing on why they state incandescent only. Just in case there are disasterous results when the CFL does eventually burn out or something...???
FWIW
Brian pointed out X10's position is conservative. There may very well be some safety or reliability reason for only using incandescent bulbs, but I doubt you will get further details from X10.

This is pure speculation on my part, but my thoughts are; X10 recommend only using incandescent bulbs because of programming issues with the Socket Rocket. An incandescent bulb is required when programming the HCUC in the Socket Rocket. Any other load will give unpredictable results. Since the SR is open for re-programming for 30 seconds after any power restoration, it is conceivable X10 anticipated SR’s losing code or accidentally being re-programmed after power outage. The user who has Socket Rockets with CFLs on a pole 20 ft above their garage is going to be mightily P.O.ed when they can not successfully reprogram their rockets remotely. When they call X10 to complain, X10 can righteously say “But we told you to only use incandescent bulbs….click”.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

notimpressed

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 11:20:16 PM »

I went through 3 or 4 socket rockets when installed in a unfinished basement ceiling application ( incand bulb pointing down ). So I replaced the s/r with the old style dimmable, big screw in controllers and had no more failures. I thought it was a combination of both the heat and a bulb blowing that did them in, but yes the Triac/SCR was smoked and they were unfixable.

Didn't think of trying them with CFLs since I forgot they weren't dimmable, however I still wonder about the quality of the s/r.

-NI

notimpressed

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 11:26:16 PM »

These are what I use for my CFL lights and ceiling fansEconomical Switch For Quiet Control of Fluorescent Lights, Ceiling Fans, and Motors.

Is there a source for these older ( discontinued ) Smarthome switches you mention ? The new ones ( Switchlinc? ) retail in the $48 range which is pretty expensive...

-NI

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.