Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: It drives me crazy  (Read 64077 times)

angle

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
It drives me crazy
« on: November 22, 2006, 03:36:15 PM »

I have the vanguard system with 4 cam's ..... for some reason I can't explain .... using the remote laptop to access the my cam's .... I might get it to stream for about a minute or less and then it stops .... I try to logoff and logon again ... but it doesn't want to stream anymore ... very strange .... I have windows xp pro on both sides of the vanguard system .... any idea's .... please help ... I'm tearing my hair out ;(

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: It drives me crazy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 02:51:30 AM »

My best guess would be that your Wireless LAN is interfering with the wireless camera signals, especially if this only happens when you're connecting with a wireless connection on your Laptop.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

angle

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 01:41:03 PM »

Thanks for getting back to me ... the laptop is at a remote location right now and it's doing the same thing .... do you think it has something to do with x10 and it server ( the middle man in all of this ) being to busy all the time ???? .... thanks

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 02:51:20 PM »

As Bill stated it is most likely the Wireless LAN !
There are many threads/posts on here about RF interference and how to solve them
Do An Advanced Search for "RF interference" there are many helpful and informative posts!
Note don't stop reading a post if it is about Active home pro as some of the info may apply for you regardless!

Also check the X10 knowledge base for more info! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

angle

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 10:21:30 PM »

now I'm really confused about the wireless interference ..... can you please explain to me how it will interfear with a laptop that is connected remotely and not using a wireless connection to access the computer with the vanguard installed on it .... just to clear things up here ... I have the vanguard that is in san diego using a cable connection and I gave a laptop that is in stockton ca using a dsl connection and I'm trying to access the vanguard in san diego from here with the same problem I had talked about earlier ...... sorry for the misunderstanding ...  I think ... or maybe I'm getting it all wrong ..... please help ... TIA ....

ArtClark

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 11:26:22 PM »

Sorry to just But in like this, but is there a wireless connection at the location where the camera is?  I believe that is the wireless connection that is being looked at, but I don't think you even mentioned there being one there.

Of course, if there is ANY wireless connections where the camera's are located, then there you go.  If not, then we must go from there.  I must admit, I have seen a neighbors wireless router interfere with my system whenever certain conditions are met so always look to eliminate possibile problems before getting lost in little details.  (Like I always do.  I seem to miss the simple problems all the time.)

I'll be lurking in the background to see what you find out.

tjdavj

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 12:10:38 AM »

angle:

Sounds like everyone is a little lost!  Please help us define the correct information by answering these 2 questions

First, when using Internet Control Center at the local computer, are you experiencing any issues with the cameras?

If No, then we can assume that this is strictly a streaming issue when using X10's servers. Correct?

Thanks

I'm not that familiar with Internet Control Center, but I am with iWitness, so I am curious as to whether you have control over image resolution , quality and frame rate (X10 calls it frequency in iWitness). I have found that I can only maintain a stream when I set image resolution to 320x240, quality @ 50%, and framerate @ 7fps. This is over an 1.5M down, 1M up, ADSL connection.

IF I try to increase any of those settings maintaining the connection is very unreliable.

HTH

angle

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 11:06:49 AM »

thanks for getting back to me .... the answer is no ..... this is strictly a streaming issue when using X10's servers ..... and yes it has those adjustments that you have on yours .... I just reduced the 2 controls that you had talked about down to the bottom setting ... and that didn't help ..... more details ... I can connect to my local computer ... show the buttons (c1,c2,c3,c4) and I can switch between them, but I can't see the image.....very strange .... I'm connect, but now visually ... it is something to do with the video streaming part of this system .... TIA for any info or ensite you can offer ......

angle

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 11:25:27 AM »

another note ... in response to the other question ... there is not a wireless router at my home location (just a wired router)... when I'm at home (at the computer with the vanguard on it) and I want to  :-\  ???

tjdavj

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 11:55:42 AM »

angle:

Ok, you stated that you changed the 2 controls, but what is the screen resolution? (In iWitness you have to right-click in the view window to find this out and change it)

more details ... I can connect to my local computer ... show the buttons (c1,c2,c3,c4) and I can switch between them, but I can't see the image.....very strange .... I'm connect, but now visually

How are you connecting to the local computer? If you are using Remote Desktop or PCAnywhere, then there is NO video streaming involved. 

Did you ever try connecting with the remote laptop when you were at home? If so, did it work?

I'm not positive, but I think that Internet Control Center [ICC] and iWitness/My House use different servers and use different protocols for handling communications. It is possible that X10's ICC servers are experiencing problems.

As I said before, I am unfamiliar with Internet Control Center. In fact, I was specifically told by a sales assoc. @ X10, that to ensure remote operation of my cams, [VK77A Vanguards] that I should buy AHP w/ iWitness, and My House, instead of ICC. They even offered me an additional discount to get me to buy the AHP package, so I assume that they have seen too many issues with ICC.

please help ... I'm tearing my hair out ;(

It's took me about 4 weeks to get my system functional, so just be patient and persistent.

angle

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 01:38:27 PM »

Hi there ... thanks for the info about IIC ... makes me wonder about this software / service .... I always thought that the vanguard was the top product from x10 for video streaming and features .... is that not true ... is the iwitness the top software .... it sounds like it  :-[ .... when I was saying that when I connect to my local computer ... I mean that I'm connecting using the vanguard system .... not the others you had mentioned .... concerning the screen res. ... I changed it to  320x240 and slid the quality and frame rate down to the bottom ... I'm sure it looks a bit different from yours.... but everything is down to the min.  ..... before I left the house, I tried it on my local network and it did the same thing .... I called x10 and they said that they would have a "level 2 tech" call me .... that never happened and in the past, they would say that and they never call ... why is that ??? .... very frustrating with the x10 tech people .... does anybody else have that problem with the tech people and is there any advice you me now how to handle that issue with the x10 staff ??? .... I still can't connect ... any help would be great .... thanks .....

P.S. .... I'm sure they are on different servers .... the vanguard is at gate.x10.com

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »

angle:
Sorry for the misunderstanding!
before I left the house, I tried it on my local network and it did the same thing

If this is the case then it isn't the x10server but either the software or RF noise/interference !
Many things can cause this interference, not just a wireless lan! If you did the search I suggested you'd see! ;) :D

Have you tried changing the codes on the cam and receiver?
This would help if another wireless device was causing the problem! ;)

Have you tried to run the vanguard system with a wired cam?
This would help to understand if it was the software! ;)

I always thought that the vanguard was the top product from x10 for video streaming and features .... is that not true ... is the iwitness the top software

iWitness is the latest cam software from X10 and handles all x10 cams!
But it is only a plug-in for the ActiveHome Pro system.
To use it you would also need the Myhouse plug-in to view your cams over the net! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

angle

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 04:26:32 PM »

Thanks for getting back to me .. I hope we can narrow it down alittle .... just to make things clear .... I my mind .... the computer with the vanguard software on it works great if I view it on that computer and it seems to not have any interference on it ... but your saying that even though it looks fine on the main computer ... I still would have issue's view the video from a different computer because of some interference I can't see on the main computer ??? .... that's what I need to clear up in my mind .... sorry about that .... that's why I'm alittle gray on this being that everything works great at home on the main computer .... concerning the changiing of codes ... I did that a long time ago to get rid of any interferance that was out there .... concerning hooking up a wired cam to the main computer ... I haven't done that yet .... what would that prove it it started to work .... thanks for all your time with me ....

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 04:39:59 PM »

angle:
concerning hooking up a wired cam to the main computer ... I haven't done that yet .... what would that prove it it started to work

If a wired cam works then problem is definitely RF interference.

If you still have problems with streaming then you need to dig deeper into the program!

I'm unfamiliar with this software so I'm only guessing! ::) :-[ ;)

Is there a Codec setting?
Have you tried changing it?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

angle

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 04:44:04 PM »

wow .. that was quick ..... I'm alittle confused about this .... Is there a Codec setting? ... what do you mean about that question .... the codes on the cams and the base unit ? ...... thanks for being quick ....
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.