Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Software Not Reporting Correct Dim Level  (Read 9499 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Software Not Reporting Correct Dim Level
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:23:20 AM »

Hi guys set up a macro that would increase the brightness of my porch lights +35% from 65% for a total of 100% if anyone walks up on the porch after dust. I also setup a 10 minute timer after which it dims back to 65% well so far so good. The problem I've been encountering is that after the 10 minutes the software sometimes indicates the wrong dim level like right now it's indicating 35% opposed to 65% but the dim level actually appears to be correct it's definitely not at 35% so would this more then likely be a software or hardware issue. Boy I tell ya it's always something  ???  ???  anyone else notice this or am I the only lucky one. Thanks

Tom j
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 01:17:31 AM by tom j »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
Re: Software Not Reporting Proper Dim Level
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 07:06:59 AM »

Are you using "relative" or "absolute" dim values in your macros?   Do you always use only one or the other?

Just wondering.... 
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

tom j

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 06:35:28 PM »

Are you using "relative" or "absolute" dim values in your macros?   Do you always use only one or the other?

Just wondering.... 

Hi because the dim level will already be at +65% when the macro is activated I use relative for both it has to dim then brighten, you would always use relative if the lighting is already on. Thanks

Tom j

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 07:29:48 PM »

The software keeps track of what it thinks the dim levels are and adjusts them based on commands coming in, so this could be a software problem if the software isn't tracking correctly.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »

As I responded to your other post, and to clarify? MichaelC's post:

The AHP software doesn't actually "know" the module's present dim setting.

While AHP is running, it "remembers" the setting it last "told" the module to go to, but this can be inaccurate if AHP has been offline and the module's dim setting was modified by an outside source (even a MACRO stored in the CM15A)!

Modules that are not in the "Monitored House Code" are only tracked by AHP when the AHP software is running and the CM15A is connected to the computer.

Modules that are in the "Monitored House Code" are tracked by the CM15A interface (to a point), but I'm not sure that includes the present dim setting.

The main problem is that most X10 modules are not "two-way" and can't be "asked" their present status.  This means that AHP has to rely on its "memory" of where the module "should be", and for the reasons above, its "memory" may be inaccurate.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject (pardon the pun  ;)  )

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 07:07:07 AM »

Do you have something in your "system" that repeats commands?   

Dim commands are rather odd, and it is possible that if repeated, your lights would end up at a different dim level than commanded to, by your CM15A alone.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:56:26 AM by Walt2 »
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 07:11:41 AM »

... , you would always use relative if the lighting is already on. Thanks

Well, I sometimes use absolute dim levels, just to not have the sort of problems you are having.  Relative dim levels require that the current dim level be know with absolute certainty.  One thing I have learned over my decades of using X10, is that with X10, one can't ever know the state of anything with absolute certainty.

If I must have a light at 65% dim level, I just code an absolute dim level of 65%.

tom j

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 01:11:54 AM »

Do you have something in your "system" that repeats commands?   

Dim commands are rather odd, and it is possible that if repeated, your lights would end up at a different dim level than commanded to, by your CM15A alone.

Humm well  I have a x10 repeater but that just handles RF, I also have a Leviton signal bridge/amplifier suppositly it's suppose to insure the integrity of the signal. The dim levels appear to be correct it's just that they are sometimes reported incorrectly in the software thi is while the CM15a is hooked up to my notebook, any ideas Walt? Thanks

Tom j
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 01:14:22 AM by tom j »

tom j

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 02:28:50 AM »

... , you would always use relative if the lighting is already on. Thanks

Well, I sometimes use absolute dim levels, just to not have the sort of problems you are having.  Relative dim levels require that the current dim level be know with absolute certainty.  One thing I have learned over my decades of using X10, is that with X10, one can't ever know the state of anything with absolute certainty.

If I must have a light at 65% dim level, I just code an absolute dim level of 65%.

Hi Walt! Say how would I use "absolute dim levels"? the lights would ordinarily be already on when the maco was executed so wouldn't I by definition have to use relative levels to increase the brightness by + or - 35%? or are you saying I could somehow use absolute dim levels and have the same effect? Say Walt you just might have really hit on something one thing I've noticed is the jerky responce I get with my x10 repeater when dimming my lights by remote also it seems like when the dim level is executed the CM15a sends a RF command as well is this correct if so I think I'm going to disconnect it tonight and try the original macro to see what happens, say I thought when the CM15a gave the dim command that it just went out over the house wiring. Hoping you have time to help clarify for me. Thanks

Tom j

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
Re: Software Not Reporting Correct Dim Level
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 01:03:27 PM »

Do you have more than one transceiver in use for the house code you're using on your remote control? That might account from some of the "jerky" response when dimming. Does it still occur if you remove or disable your repeater?

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 01:03:07 PM »

Hi Walt! Say how would I use "absolute dim levels"? the lights would ordinarily be already on when the maco was executed so wouldn't I by definition have to use relative levels to increase the brightness by + or - 35%? or are you saying I could somehow use absolute dim levels and have the same effect?

When you set up the dim level, there is a push buttonnext to where you enter the numeric value.  That button makes the numeric value entered be either relative or absolute.

If you are assuming that the light is current at 65%, you could enter a relative increase of 35% to get to 100%.  Or you can enter an absolute level of 100%.    Both end up at 100%, or one hopes that to happen.  However, if the assumption of the current level being 65% is wrong, you could end up with a light level of anything between 35% and 100%.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.