Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cannot get camera reception properly aligned  (Read 16054 times)

janwood164

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Cannot get camera reception properly aligned
« on: November 27, 2006, 10:38:29 AM »

After spending all day Thankgiving, the Friday, Saturday and Sunday following, I still cannot get all of my camera to function properly.  Each one is set to a different setting (A1, A2, A3 and A4.  I can get A1 and A2 to work (they are on oposite sides of the house), but they still occaisionally decided to become one in the same (the computer displays the same image for A1 and A2).  Forget adding A3 and A4 to the mix.  What happens is that usually I can get pictures from two cameras on the computer and the third and fourth are one of the first two.  So......I get 1 picture of the back yard and three pictures of the front stairs.  I should be getting the backyard, the frontyard, the downstairs and the livingroom.  I have tried repositioning the receiver, but no luck.  Tech support at X-10 has not given me any help at all, so I am turning to my fellow users.  I purchased a 5.8 ghz telephone, unplugged my 2.4 ghz router - nada - same problem.  Also, none of my lamp modules will work in the house either.  The only one that works is the one that has the antenna built in.  Not very useful.

Please help, I am going to have a nervous breakdown trying to get this going on my own after spending 4 12 hour days with no results!!!!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Cannot get camera reception properly aligned
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 12:07:54 PM »

janwood164: Please state what software you are using.

Also, none of my lamp modules will work in the house either.

It sounds like you have noise / phase problems.
Again, for better help, please state what you are controlling these modules with.

janwood164

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 01:06:43 PM »

1.  Vanguard Internet Control Software
2.  Scan pad camera remote control & transceiver

or, as listed on my receipt:

WVK54 Xcam2 Wireless Video Camera Kit
1 - XX16A Xcam2 Wireless Video Camera
2 - Nightwatch Wireless Low-Light B/W Video Camera
CM19A Wireless PC Transceiver
SW26A Vanguard Control Center Software
TM751 Small Wireless Transceiver
VA11A USB Video Capture Adapter
VK74A Pan & Tilt Base

There was more, but I think this is what you are looking for....

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 02:01:40 PM »

Thanks for adding the info on what you are working with... it should help with getting responses.  ;)

I'm not familiar with Vanguard nor the CM19A, but it sounds to me that your main problem is getting the cameras to turn ON & OFF properly.

Do *INDIVIDUAL* Advanced Searches on:

• 1.) Line Noise
  • 2.) Signal Suckers
  • 3.) Phase Coupler
[/b][/color]
Also read through: TTA's X10 Troubleshooting Tips Thread [Updated: 2006/11/18]  (Read 2151 times).

Post back with what you have tried and what the results were; and I'm sure we can help you resolve your problems.  ;) :)

[TTA Edit: Clarified Advanced Search parameters.]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 06:05:14 PM by TakeTheActive »

janwood164

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 02:22:28 PM »

The only thing that comes up under that search term is my post.  To help you out a bit more, the cameras are all turned on.  If I unplug the cameras three at a time from their power source, the one remaining camera shows correctly and has a good image, plus it is asociated with the correct camera, albeit A1, A2, A3 or A4.  When you start plugging in more than one camera is when the problem starts.  Let's say you had camera A1 plugged in and you are getting the correct image for A1.  Then you plug in camera A4.  You now get either A1s image on A1 and A4 or A4's image on A4 and A1.  If you can somehow get the receiver to give you the images for A1 and A4 through some delicate fiddling (don't even move it a fraction of an inch or you are back to duplicate images), when you try to add the third camera, two or possibly all three will have the same image, and it could be from camera A1, A2 or A3 - it is totally random. 

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 03:28:38 PM »

The only thing that comes up under that search term is my post.

Sorry for the misunderstanding... it is actually 3 different search items:

• Line Noise
  • Signal Suckers
  • Phase Coupler

To help you out a bit more, the cameras are all turned on.  If I unplug the cameras three at a time from their power source, the one remaining camera shows correctly and has a good image, plus it is asociated with the correct camera, albeit A1, A2, A3 or A4.

Only one camera is to be on at a time. When one is selected, it sends an OFF signal to the other 3. If they are not turning OFF, then they may not be getting the signal. Try making sure you start will all cameras in the OFF state.

janwood164

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 03:44:04 PM »

I have a question.  If the other three are off, why does the PC software have the ability to show a screen that has four panels with each camera active in an individual panel, showing llive, moving video in each of the four panels.  To me this would negate the theory that only one camera is on at a time as all four are transmitting frames to the screen (again, which is divided into four parts).  In order to choose the active camera to RECORD, you click on one of the four boxes and that camera will record.  The rest will be in view only mode.  I just spent 48 hours working on this over the past holiday weekend, and learned more about the cameras and software than I really wanted to know.  I also wound up purchasing a new laptop (the software bluescreened my 4 year old laptop that everything else runs on) and a 5.8 mhz telephone at the recommendation of the X-10 reps that I spoke with on Friday.  I have now paid more for the setup parts to try to make this work than I did for the cameras.  I have until December 9th to return these, and at this rate, it is not going to take until December 9th.  If I had not had a break in and lost over $22,000.00 of jewelry and electronics, never mind damage to the house, I would NOT be pursuing getting this working - they would have been boxed up Saturday and on their way back to X-10 today.  I am REALLY getting frustrated with their lack of assistance with their products.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 04:05:31 PM »

I can certainly understand your frustration. Hopefully another Member with Vanguard experience can help out.

But from an RF perspective, you can't have more than one camera transmitting at a time without causing interference. I can't see how software can change that.

Sorry I can't help more on the software side of this.

janwood164

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 04:12:08 PM »

I appreciate your help, but I think that someone from X-10 should be helping me out and I am finding that I seem to know more about their product than their Customer Service Reps.  I understand your logic, but I have seen movement in the front and back yards in separate frames, unless there is some kind of lag, which is not a good thing either.  Hopefully someone from X-10 will chime in.  This is supposedly in second level support, but they do not talk to anyone, they only email and, guess what?  So far no email!

Thanks anyhow.

ericb

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 06:30:14 PM »

Here are two different knowledge base articles with two different approaches to your camera switching problem. Try them in the order shown.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Troubleshooting_Camera_Switching

Troubleshooting Camera Switching

Questions

I`m not able to switch between my cameras

The pictures from cameras are overlapping each other

When I try to switch cameras, both cameras stay on

Answer

In order to switch cameras, an X10 Transceiver Module (models TM751 or RR501) or equivalent (ActiveHome Pro USB Interface, security alarm console) is required. Make sure that the transceiver is plugged in and set on the same House Code (the letter dial on the front) as your cameras (the letter dial on the addressable power supply). See the multi-camera system instructions for additional instructions on the initial setup of multiple cameras and a Transceiver.

If you have a transceiver installed and working, the issue of not being able to switch cameras is most likely caused by poor communication on your house wiring. There are a number of possible causes. A couple of simple tests can help you determine the source of the problem.

Most houses are fed from a 220 volt service which is then split into two phases of 110 volts each in the circuit breaker panel (“breaker box”). The X10 signals, which are transmitted onto the house wiring on one phase, will normally travel across to the other phase through the breaker panel, pole transformer, etc. Try testing communication across your phases by turning on an electric oven or clothes dryer, because these 240 volt electronic items can assist with coupling the two 110 volt phases, which will allow X10 signals from one phase to cross over to the other. While the oven or dryer is on, try controlling your cameras. If you find you can control the cameras when the oven or dryer is on, but cannot when they are turned off, you are dealing with a phase issue.

To correct a phase problem, you can install a phase coupler (or phase bridge). They are available through an X10 dealer/installer listed on www.x10pro.com.

A second test requires a surge protector. Plug the surge protector into an outlet, and remove anything that is connected to it. Plug one of the addressable power supplies and a Transceiver into it. Now try to turn the camera on/off with your Remote. The surge protector creates a short signal path, and can block noise that might be interfering with the X10 signals transmitted over your house wiring (from the Transceiver to the camera`s power supply). This will also help rule out malfunctioning equipment. The easiest way to determine if any particular device is causing interference is by unplugging it. If this fixes the problem, consult an X10 installer about plugging the offending appliance into an X10pro Noise Filter XPPF, available at www.x10pro.com(navigate to it through "Lighting and Appliance Current Control Catalog," then "Couplers/Filters/Accessories").

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Alternate_Camera_Switching_Configuration

Alternate Camera Switching Configuration

Questions

I keep having problems switching cameras; what can I do?

How can I figure out why my wireless cameras won`t switch?

Answer

If you have consistent problems switching between certain cameras, you can try having the cameras switch using radio frequency (RF) commands only, instead of X10 signals being sent over your house wiring. Follow the steps below to test this.

First, perform the advanced camera switching test. This test is designed to help confirm that your X10 Camera`s addressable power supplies are working properly.

Parts
What you need to perform this test:

A transceiver module (model TM751 or RR501)
A remote control set to the same house code as your cameras
Your wireless cameras
A power strip with room to plug in several camera power supplies at the same time

Performing the Test
Most surge protectors have multiple outlets; however, because of the size of the power supplies of each camera, they cover adjacent outlets if they are too close together. If your power strip is like this, you may only be able to plug in 2 or 3 power supplies at a time. In order to complete this test, the transceiver needs to be plugged in with all of the cameras you want to control.

With all camera power supplies and the transceiver plugged into the same surge protector, test that the cameras switch correctly using your remote.

If they do, then there is an issue with X10 communication over the house wiring.

New Camera Set-up
Since the camera commands are sent via Radio Frequency first (from a remote, motion sensor, etc.), you can isolate each camera on its own surge protector. Each one will also need its own transceiver module (TM751 or RR501), because you will need as many transceivers as you have cameras for this application. Plug the camera`s power supply and its transceiver module--configured to the same housecode--into its surge protector.

When you install the cameras this way, you have full control of them. This configuration isolates each camera from any electrical line noise on your house wiring and still allows it to respond to signals from your remote.

If you have the FloodCam, you will need to plug an RR501 in on each circuit breaker with a FloodCam on it. Do not use multiple TM751s with the FloodCam.

If you are using your cameras with ActiveHome Pro and the iWitness plug-in software, identify each camera as a Vanguard, since ActiveHome Pro communicates with other cameras over your house wiring. The interface can send commands to Vanguards via radio frequency, like a remote.

janwood164

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 11:13:53 AM »

I tried all of the suggestions and nothing worked.  While trying the final procedure and attempting to align the cameras, the software "blue screened" my brand new (1 day old) laptop (which I had to purchase because it consistently blue screened my Compaq 1500 laptop).  I need to return this whole system, but I have been on hold for Customer Service for over 45 minutes (which seems to be a normal happening at X-10 in adition to the fact that Customer Service is not open weekends, when most people are working on their installs or systems).

Be afraid of these cameras, be VERY afraid!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.