Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X-10 Filter Outlet Orientation Question  (Read 3614 times)

debbiea

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X-10 Filter Outlet Orientation Question
« on: December 01, 2006, 11:56:42 AM »

I know this is probably a dumb question, but here goes.  I am going to add some noise filters to my setup.  I noticed on all of the filters I looked at, that the appliance plugs into the bottom of the filter.  Also, I noticed that the grounding plug seems to be toward the wall.  Has this caused a problem for anyone.  I am wondering if you plug in an appliance such as an answering machine with a heavy adapter does it tend to fall out.  Or, if you plug in a surge suppressor with a heavy cord, does the filter lie flush against the wall or does the suppressor cord push it away from the wall.  I hope I explained this so someone can understand what I mean.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: X-10 Filter Outlet Orientation Question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 12:29:31 PM »

...I am wondering if you plug in an appliance such as an answering machine with a heavy adapter does it tend to fall out....
Good question.
Actually many questions are often repeated but no real "dumb questions". While I'd like to call some of my 1st questions dumb, most were just from ignorance. So feel free to search for existing answers and ask questions as needed.
I don't think most plugs will fall out but I could see how plugging in a large "wall wart" plug into a bottom plug could be a problem clearing the wall. If you have a problem, you might consider a small extention cord. They make them in 11/2 foot lengths that could solve the problem.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 01:10:52 PM »

I know this is probably a dumb question, but here goes.  I am going to add some noise filters to my setup.  I noticed on all of the filters I looked at, that the appliance plugs into the bottom of the filter.  Also, I noticed that the grounding plug seems to be toward the wall.  Has this caused a problem for anyone.  I am wondering if you plug in an appliance such as an answering machine with a heavy adapter does it tend to fall out.  Or, if you plug in a surge suppressor with a heavy cord, does the filter lie flush against the wall or does the suppressor cord push it away from the wall.  I hope I explained this so someone can understand what I mean.

Leviton makes a couple of adapters which you can usually find in hardware stores or places like Loews or Home Depot (although you never can tell what these last two places will be carrying in stock at any moment). 

To see what they look like, go to http://www.levitonhelpdesk.com/catalog/  and fill in Leviton Part Numbers 531-W and 692-W.  (Also available in Ivory as 531-I and 692-I.)

The 531-W two-prong adapter works great when you want to plug a two-prong wall-wart into an appliance module or filter.  The neutral and hot socket holes are oriented such that the wall-wart hangs the same as if it were plugged directly into the wall receptacle.   The plug and socket are usually a pretty tight fit but for extra security you could use a cable tie to keep the adapter from pulling out of the module or filter.

The 692-W  three-prong adapter is not quite as handy since the outlets are on the side and bottom instead of front and back like the 531-W but may help with some shapes of three-prong wall-warts.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

debbiea

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 01:28:11 PM »

Thanks for the great ideas, I don't know why I didn't think of them.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.