Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Maximum Wattage  (Read 7573 times)

canadica

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Maximum Wattage
« on: December 03, 2006, 10:55:11 AM »

Hi, I'm new here, and new to these products, I have the software, and am still waiting to recieve the hardware. I bought the USB control module with wireless repeater, with IWatch, MyHouse online, smart macros and active home software.

I am wondering if X10 offers a 110V 1500W+ module?

I want to be able to run a 1500W heater via the wireless automation software.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.  :)

jkarney

Re: Maximum Wattage
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 10:18:44 PM »

canadica,
You should be able to use a appliance module AM466. I know these modules have a 500 Watt rating but please read the posts on another thread that I've linked below. Your question on running a 1500 Watt heater is addressed there.

Topic: Appliance Module 466 (AM466) - rating question

Try using the "Advanced Search" function.  This forum is full of helpful information and I'm sure you will find most if not all the answers to your questions. ::)

Good luck, have fun and welcome aboard.  ;D

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:19:39 PM by jkarney »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 02:05:23 AM »

Hi, I'm new here, and new to these products, I have the software, and am still waiting to recieve the hardware. I bought the USB control module with wireless repeater, with IWatch, MyHouse online, smart macros and active home software.

I am wondering if X10 offers a 110V 1500W+ module?

I want to be able to run a 1500W heater via the wireless automation software.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.  :)

The AM466 Appliance Module will handle your heater if it's strictly a resistive load.  The module is rated for a 1/3 HP motor which may be a factor with your heater if it has a fan.

However before you decide to go this route, consider carefully what would happen if you were sleeping, or away from home for a week or two and:
1. The Appliance Module failed to turn Off the heater (for whatever reason) and it ran continuously for that time,
   -- or --
2. As above but the AM failed to turn On the heater for that entire time.

An X10 system by itself is not reliable enough to be trusted in applications where human injury, property damage, or major financial loss could result from its failure to perform as expected.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 02:18:20 AM »

...However before you decide to go this route, consider carefully what would happen if you were sleeping, or away from home for a week or two and:
1. The Appliance Module failed to turn Off the heater (for whatever reason) and it ran continuously for that time,
   -- or --
2. As above but the AM failed to turn On the heater for that entire time....
or 3. It turned your heater on unexpectedly.

...An X10 system by itself is not reliable enough to be trusted in applications where human injury, property damage, or major financial loss could result from its failure to perform as expected.
Very true!
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

canadica

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 04:07:29 PM »

I should be able to use a module to trip a 110V relay that runs this heater then, yes?

I'm on wood heat with electric backup, and this baseboard heater has it's own thermostat, so if the module stays on for some reason, no problem, but if it fails and the heater doesn't come on, it could get a little chilly.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 04:20:09 PM »

The appliance module can control a 120 volt AC relay. Not likely but the appliance module has a local control sensing circuit. The small sensing current most likely would not make the 120 volt relay slightly buzz when off; but if it did you know what it is.
Also appliance modules if the power is lost remain in the state they where in at power loss.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 08:37:19 PM »

I should be able to use a module to trip a 110V relay that runs this heater then, yes?

Yes, that ought to work.  But if the heater has a thermostat, why not just plug the heater into the wall socket and forget the X10?

As Brian mentioned, the Appliance Module has local sensing.   With your thermostatically controlled heater, if the heater is plugged  _directly_ into the Appliance Module and the thermostat closes, the Appliance Module will switch On.  So you wouldn't be able to disable the heater via X10 control if that's your intention.   That shouldn't be a problem if you use the relay.

I'm on wood heat with electric backup, and this baseboard heater has it's own thermostat, so if the module stays on for some reason, no problem, but if it fails and the heater doesn't come on, it could get a little chilly.

If "a little chilly" means the possibility of frozen pipes, I'd be somewhat concerned.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

canadica

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 03:32:14 AM »

The ability to shut it off remotely is part of what I'm looking for. Also, the seperate garage/workshop I have doesn't have to be heated unless I will be working in there, and it would be nice to be able to turn on the heater to take the chill off for an hour or so without having to wander over there to do it.

I've had a chance to play around with the software here, and I have to say that the potential is really amazing.  8) I especially like the camera/motion sensor/security ability, and the ability to have the system phone your cellphone if there is an intrusion or other problem.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 07:32:20 AM by canadica »

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 08:37:39 PM »

Good Evening,

I would suggest you methodically go through your design and consider what the consequences are if the heater comes on at will any time for any time.  Uncontrolled heaters keep me up at night.  The reason I say this is that if you look at the many posts on this system there are many stating that the x10 devices can come on at any time.  It could be your neighbor, power line disturbance, etc. they do turn on uncontrolled by your system.

So what will happen when the heater comes on and nobody is there for a week or so?

Good Luck
Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.