Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: USB ActiveHome Interface (CM15A)  (Read 4266 times)

brunetmj

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
USB ActiveHome Interface (CM15A)
« on: December 04, 2006, 03:34:13 PM »

Having had the same problem as was described in the sticky listed with the title of this thread I wanted to comment on my experience. It is my current belief that the “USB not connceted “ message is a Active Home software bug only. Not a hardware problem.
The sticky claims that replacing the batteries is the solution.
It seemed odd that replacing the batteries in the CM15A should not have anything to do with getting a USB device to work. The batteries, at least from my understanding, are merely to keep the date and time in the CMA15 without the computer on.
In fact , despite that message, it still works. As long as Windows shows the device to be installed and working (listed under the USB root hub as "unknown device) and it is properly connected   ( i.e. plugged into a receptacle and at a USB port),  it is working.
The program just doesn’t know it.
By the way , my CMA15 is plugged into a surge protector and works just fine.

Anyway I would like to see someone confirm this.
Instead of replacing batteries as a fix check the Windows device manager
and make sure “unknown device” is listed under the USB section. Check to make sure the CMA15 is connected properly. Then take any sample macro and attempt to write it to the device.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: USB ActiveHome Interface (CM15A)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 04:23:26 PM »

Replacing the batteries usually is done along with the removing from the AC power outlet. Basically it does a hard reset of the whole thing. If the batteries are good. Just put back after the hard reset.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 04:36:05 PM »

Definitely a software bug.... I can repeatedly get this error message by simply opening the status window while a macro is executing.  ;)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 06:53:15 PM »

Puck; Thank you for that added information. Lets hope an update soon can correct it.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 07:49:52 PM »

Brian: I never thought about it too much because I didn't see any posts mentioning this before; so I just thought it was my PC/OS/AHP setup doing it, and I knew what caused it.  :D

Just to add a side note to this:

I use MyHouse Online from work everyday, and I often look at the status report to get a quick update of what's happing at home. On a few occasions, when I came home, that USB Error was on the screen... but I was still able to control things from MyHouse Online. So I don't think it affects the operation of the hardware.

(Just before posting this...I induced the error and verified that the CM15A does communicate with the PC while the error window is still up.)

brunetmj

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 11:34:16 AM »

I get the message almost every time I start the program. This led me to post this thread because I knew that despite the message, it was working correctly.

So to summarize this thread if you are assured that your version of windows
has installed ActiveHomen Pro correctly and all the hardware is correctly hooked up, it is safe
to say you can ignore any message coming from the software that says that it isn’t connected.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 07:25:22 PM »

Having had the same problem as was described in the sticky listed with the title of this thread...

Would you please provide a LINK to the STICKY that you're referencing?

Thanks!
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

brunetmj

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 10:53:16 PM »

Sure but after I read the sticky again I realized it was a fix for a "windows problem". So toward that end the sticky is correct and
if it was a windows problem then plugging and unpluging the usb cable and CM15A may get it to work--

However the problem I see is coming from the activehomesoftware software "usb not connected " message.
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=7951.0

choose
Having X10 AHP Problems? Please Read This First!
Products
ActiveHome Pro System
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/ActiveHome_USB_Interface_Unknown_or_Not_Recognized

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.