Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 noise filters can I do this for all phases or just one?  (Read 7750 times)

perryg114

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 noise filters can I do this for all phases or just one?
« on: December 06, 2006, 08:59:02 AM »

I have problems with the lamp modules and horn modules or anything that uses the X10 powerline signal. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. They don't seem to like power strips or extension cords. I believe all my lights and plugs are on the same phase in the fuse box so I don't think phasing is the issue. It does not seem cost effective to have to run a noise filter for each and every X10 module that you use. Is there a way to filter an entire phase by putting a cap or inductor across a breaker on one phase?

Perry

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: X10 noise filters can I do this for all phases or just one?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 09:27:51 AM »

I have problems with the lamp modules and horn modules or anything that uses the X10 powerline signal. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. They don't seem to like power strips or extension cords. I believe all my lights and plugs are on the same phase in the fuse box so I don't think phasing is the issue. It does not seem cost effective to have to run a noise filter for each and every X10 module that you use. Is there a way to filter an entire phase by putting a cap or inductor across a breaker on one phase?

You don't put noise filters on the modules.  You identify an electronic appliance like a PC, UPS, TV, VCR, etc., which is generating noise or acting like a signal sucker (i.e., shorting out the X10 signal) and put the X10 filter on it.  The objective is to keep the AC powerline clean.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 10:35:36 AM »

...It does not seem cost effective to have to run a noise filter for each and every X10 module that you use. Is there a way to filter an entire phase by putting a cap or inductor across a breaker on one phase?

No. Here's some good reading material for you.  ;)

Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 07:46:14 PM »

Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. ........ I believe all my lights and plugs are on the same phase in the fuse box so I don't think phasing is the issue.

Read through the forum (and those links provided in reply), and you'll get a good idea of how X10 works (and why it may not). Map your circuits, and 1st make your system (no matter how small) reliable. It isn't fun till it works.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tazmndevil

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 07:40:43 AM »

You don't put noise filters on the modules.  You identify an electronic appliance like a PC, UPS, TV, VCR, etc., which is generating noise or acting like a signal sucker (i.e., shorting out the X10 signal) and put the X10 filter on it.  The objective is to keep the AC powerline clean.

I found my line noise problem this morning ... It's my HDTV.  So, what you're saying is ... I would just need to put a noise filter on the TV?  I've never seen a noise filter, but I assume you plug the TV into it and the noise filter into the outlet?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 08:38:52 AM »

Exactly.

Noise filters come in both plug-in and wired versions.

Check out http://www.x10.com/ and see what you need.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 10:20:19 AM »

Noise filters come in both plug-in and wired versions.

Check out http://www.x10.com/ and see what you need.

X10.Com is a *BIG* place, especially when you're a NEWBIE. Sort of like telling someone one doesn't know how to spell a word to look it up in the dictionary. ;)

Please provide tazmndevil with a few *DIRECT* LINKs. Thanks! :)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 12:48:47 PM »

X10 com has a search box.  All tazmndevi has to is type "Noise Filters" in the search box and it will give him the site section.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 12:51:22 PM by Dan Lawrence »
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 03:34:24 PM »

I found my line noise problem this morning ... It's my HDTV.  So, what you're saying is ... I would just need to put a noise filter on the TV?  I've never seen a noise filter, but I assume you plug the TV into it and the noise filter into the outlet?

If your HDTV draws 5 Amps or less, here's an example of what you need:

eBay: X10 PRO Plug In Filter, 120 VAC, XPPF Home Automation

(I've purchased from this particular dealer several times with complete satisfaction.)

[TTA Edit: Added 'enhanced' description to LINK. ;) ]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:17:08 PM by TakeTheActive »
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 04:28:58 PM »

Since X10 Filters are like Pringles :o, I had "this vendor" 'bookmarked', to save on shipping:

I thought he had SHIPPING costs listed last time I looked (*MONTHS* ago), but I'd send him an E-Mail first and just ask...

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 05:02:25 PM »

Since X10 Filters are like Pringles :o, I had "this vendor" 'bookmarked', to save on shipping:

I thought he had SHIPPING costs listed last time I looked (*MONTHS* ago), but I'd send him an E-Mail first and just ask...

eBay probably doesn't have your ZIP code.  With my ZIP code (in NC) the shipping shows up as $7.80 via USPS Priority Mail.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

glcax10

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 04:34:29 PM »

I have a X10 PRO MAXI CONTROLLER and it controls my T8 fluorescent light c/w an electronic ballast.  Recently, the controller doesn't work well and totally can not control the light.  Do you think I can put a X10 noise filter on the electronic ballast to solve the problem?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 04:55:11 PM »

Do you think I can put a X10 noise filter on the electronic ballast to solve the problem?

Yes.  You can use the XPPF for a plug-in light, or the Leviton 6287 for a wire-in light.  For more info:

http://jvde.us/x10/x10_cfls.htm

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:35:23 AM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Boiler

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 05:01:03 PM »

If your Maxi controller is having difficulties (can't control other lights) when the fluorescent is off, the fluorescent probably isn't the culprit.

Do you have any other monitors (CM15a/active home pro) that you could use to check the Maxi controller out?

Assuming the problem is not the Maxi controller itself -
You'll need to ask yourself what devices have been added that may be causing X10 absorption (anything with a power supply - TV, Stereo, phone charger etc.).  If you can't come up with anything, try the "tried and true" method of shutting off breakers until the Maxi controller begins functioning.  Once you've located a problem breaker you can search that circuit (unplug devices) until you find a X10 absorber or noise generator.

What type of switch are you using to control the T8 Fluorescent?

The Boiler

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 05:24:46 PM »

Recently, the controller doesn't work well and totally can not control the light.

That sounded like the problem was isolated to this one light.  If that is true, a filter will isolate it as a source of trouble.  The other point that there may be other devices causing a problem is valid, and I wrote some tutorials that address various issues:

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

As Boiler implied, you should use a switch designed to control a fluorescent light.  A standard lamp module or X10 dimmer wall switch would not be recommended for this type of application.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:34:07 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.