Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vanguard Software does not control Sentinel Cameras?  (Read 8617 times)

ve3bcf

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • ve3bcf
    • Lagoon City Webcam
Vanguard Software does not control Sentinel Cameras?
« on: December 10, 2006, 06:46:37 PM »

The Vanguard software makes the connection to my Sentinel camera and the video image is good and 15 fps.

I use a Lan / Cable / Router connection. The software can move the camera  BUT any button clicked drives the camera to the extreme left and zooms. Drawing a box on the screen does the same thing, the camera goes to the far left and zooms.

The X10 Sentinel handheld remote works perfectly! but not the software.

I have 2 Sentinel cameras and it happens on both of them in exactly the sameway.

Anyone?

tjdavj

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Vanguard Software does not control Sentinel Cameras?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 02:37:03 PM »

ve3bcf;

I have a feeling this is why the sales person @ X10 told me to NOT buy the Vanguard software when I purchased a Sentinel.

I have seen similar behaviour when using AHP/iWitness and choosing the Vanguard module to control a Sentinel camera. I think this is caused by the way the cameras are controlled thru the drivers. Although these cameras are physically identical, the pan function looks like it uses uses motor revolution counters to control movement. Since the Sentinel has considerably more pan, it has a higher revolution count. These parameters are hard coded into the Vanguard and Sentinel drivers. Since the Sentinel has a motor revolution count higher than the Vanguard, I think it confuses the Vanguard control software and causes it to behave the way it does.  I don't think they have ever added the Sentinel driver to the Vanguard ICC software, and doubt that they ever will, as it seems they are trying to move everyone to AHP and the appropriate modules.

This is a best guess, since I have been unable to get anyone @ X10 to confirm my conclusions. 

Sure hope this makes sense ::)

ve3bcf

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • ve3bcf
    • Lagoon City Webcam
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 01:13:05 AM »

tjdavj:  Your explanation makes sense. I appreciate your answer. What do you use to control the Sentinel if not X10 Vanguard software?

tjdavj

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 01:33:58 AM »

I use the iWitness module that  is an addon to AHP.. Local control works fairly well, but remote [via internet] leaves alot to be desired. The streaming protocol that X10 used is very inefficient, and I have problems with controlling the cameras remotely. (long lag times after control is initiated.)  Also, presets don't work at all from the remote client. [at least with the Vanguard camera]

If you do a search by author "tjdavj" you will find a few articles I've written regarding various issues with iWitness, My House Online, and the Vanguard and Sentinel cameras.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.