Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 code proprietary or standardized ?  (Read 7723 times)

brunetmj

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 code proprietary or standardized ?
« on: December 11, 2006, 01:10:47 PM »

Are the codes sent by a controller into a transceiver unique to the manufacturer of the device or always the same  irregardless of the manufacturer. More specifically I have a socket rocket purchased at X10.com. The software,  activehome pro and the CM15 controller work just fine at the A1 address. My X10.com purchased hand held controller also works. I decided to try software and a usb controller sold by smarthome.com. The socket rocket does not respond to the smart home usb controller and software at A1 . The smarthome controller does work with other addresses. Given what works and what doesn't work the only logical thing I could come up is some difference in code being sent through the wires to the same address but with different controllers.
I guess the broader question is: Assuming I am correct  Is it a mistake to mix and match equipment from different manufacturers?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: X10 code proprietary or standardized ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 01:20:28 PM »

A Brief History of X10: (Courtesy SmartHome's Website)

"The X10 Power Line Carrier (PLC) technology was originally developed in the 1970s by Pico Electronics in Scotland. Pico formed a joint venture with BSR in 1978 called X-10 Ltd. and the first shipments of X10 products began in 1979. Over the 18 years that followed, millions of X10 compatible devices have shipped and the number of different X10 compatible products has grown from a handful in 1979 to hundreds today. X-10 Ltd. bought out BSR’s interest in 1987. The original X10 patent expired in December 1997. X10 is now an open standard and many manufacturers are developing new and improved X10 products."

I decided to try software and a usb controller sold by smarthome.com.

What are the names / model numbers?

The socket rocket does not respond to the smart home usb controller and software at A1 . The smarthome controller does work with other addresses.

Is the SmartHome controller in the same plug as the working CM15A was?

brunetmj

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 03:00:06 PM »

The smarthome product is  Powerlinc Controller & Smarthome Manager Essential Software
Item# 1132CU here is a link http://www.smarthome.com/1132cu.html
and yes it is plugged into the same receptacle.
When i attempt to troubleshoot I try to keep everything identical and only introduce as few variables as possible.
So everything worked fine when using the x10 product,  cm15a with activehome software. When i changed to the the smarthome Powerlinc controller with Smarthome Manager Essential Software everything continued to work as before except for the
one address..A1 with it's socket rocket.
I did read your post but wasn't clear on the line about "open source software". Does that mean there is (or can be) differences in codes being sent?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 03:14:11 PM »

When i attempt to troubleshoot I try to keep everything identical and only introduce as few variables as possible.

8) One variable at a time;)

I did read your post but wasn't clear on the line about "open source software". Does that mean there is (or can be) differences in codes being sent?

I believe that means they can now longer enforce patent rights and other companies (like SmartHome) can now use the protocol. But if they state X10, then it has to be compatible.

When i changed to the the smarthome Powerlinc controller with Smarthome Manager Essential Software everything continued to work as before except for the
one address..A1 with it's socket rocket.

It could be a difference in output signal levels between the CM15A & the Powerlinc and how weak it is when it reaches the SocketRocket. Try changing the address of a working module to A1 and check that it functions.

brunetmj

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 03:22:43 PM »

i just wanted to add that part of my question was based on the literature from the socket rocket itself. It says that this device, unlike other modules that have dials to set an address, relies on it's address memory from when it was first programmed . This means if there was a subtle change in code from the two usb controllers, even if both are at A1,  it might only recognize the first .
Anyway this is specualtive on my part but curious to know if there is a difference in codes.

brunetmj

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 03:37:39 PM »

Well one variable at a time is ideal. However since each controller is unique they will not work with the software of the other. So it becomes necessary that two varables are introduced.
I can try testing the signal of A1. thanks for everything..

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 04:54:20 PM »

My Socket Rocket; LM15A; works fine with an 1132CU and as a test I reprogrammed mine from A1 to A6 with the 1132CU and the Advanced Controller area of Smarthome Manager. Turn on the AC power to the LM15A and with in 30 seconds send the house/unit code [My case A6] ON three times. That sets it to the new address.
Some of the more advanced command may not be the same; but basic On Off is the same. Also note a Socket Rocket does not dim. It is on or off.
My mixture of X10; Smarthome and Insteon in X10 mode. All interact fine. My HR12A with RR501 has no problems with the other brands. As do the Smarthome controller with my X10 stuff like wall switches and Socket Rocket.
You could have a powerline signal problem from the 1132CU's location to the LM15A Socket Rocket;  that the CM15A doesn't have.

Edited to add data.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 06:09:37 PM by Brian H »

brunetmj

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 09:15:09 PM »

Thanks every one. Good to know that such a mixture can work well together and not be a code problem.
I may try a few other things and get it figured out..

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.