Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problems Getting CM11A Working With USB-2-Serial Adapter on WinXP PC  (Read 21823 times)

Eupher

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have a interface module that has the serial port connector and it worked well on an older computer.  Now that I have a new computer it doesn't have a serial port but I do have a cable that plugs into the usb port and has a female serial connector at the other end.  I installed the software for activehome and did a communications test but no luck on either Com 1 or 2.  Is this supposed to work using an adapter cable where there is no actual serial port.  My old Palm III works well using this cable.  I can't set the interface clock either.

Any input would be appreciated.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: Problems Getting CM11A Working With USB-2-Serial Adapter on WinXP PC
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 06:37:01 AM »

If your new computer is running Windows XP that may be your problem. I have seen other posts that state that some computers running Windows Xp have communication problems with the CM11A. The replacement for this module is the CM15A which is designed to operate on a USB port.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 08:28:49 AM »

I have a interface module that has the serial port connector and it worked well on an older computer.  Now that I have a new computer it doesn't have a serial port but I do have a cable that plugs into the usb port and has a female serial connector at the other end.  I installed the software for activehome and did a communications test but no luck on either Com 1 or 2.  Is this supposed to work using an adapter cable where there is no actual serial port.  My old Palm III works well using this cable.  I can't set the interface clock either.

You need to be more specific as to the type of cable.  If you search the forum, you should see the right type of usb-serial cable to get, or how to get the com ports it will create configured.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Eupher

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:33:04 AM »

If your new computer is running Windows XP that may be your problem. I have seen other posts that state that some computers running Windows Xp have communication problems with the CM11A. The replacement for this module is the CM15A which is designed to operate on a USB port.

I am using Windows XP.  I'll look into getting the CM15A.

Thanks

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 03:00:46 PM »

Eupher

Before you go out and buy a CM15A you may want to do a search of these forums. You may find that others have posted solutions to getting a CM11 to work with XP.  :)
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 03:27:33 PM »

Go into the Windows Device Manager and look for your USB-to-Serial adapter cable under "Ports (COM and LPT)" .  It's very likely to have been assigned to a higher port number, like COM3 or COM4.   ActiveHome can use COM1 through COM4 - any higher than that and you're out of luck if you're unable to change it in Windows.  (In ActiveHome, click on Configuration>Preferences).

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 04:29:52 PM »

If the com port for the USB to serial is com1 or com2. You may want to try the following it sometimes helped:
Right Click the Active Home Icon
Compatibility Tab:
Check the run as Windows98/ME choice.
Disable Visual Themes
Turn off advanced Text Services.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.