Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Broken plastic gears on Vanguard Cameras, replacement gears/parts  (Read 53072 times)

BFD

• Helpful Post Rating: 3

I bought 2 Vanguard cameras and they worked great so I bought 12 more.  Mostly the sat in their boxes for a couple years before I got around to installing them.  1 year after that, all 14 are broken from VERY little use.  After opening them, I found every one of them had the same problem.  There are 2 small plastic gears that are used for the pan and tilt functions and they are all cracked. Every one of them.  They didn't all crack at once.  At first I started swapping out broken gears with the cams that had good gears so that I would have at least some working cams but soon after, they were all cracked.

X10 support only told me, since my cams are out of warranty, they don't service them, sell replacement parts, or could tell me where to get replacement parts, my only offered option was to buy replacements.  When I spend over $15,000 overall on X10 equipment, I expect a little bit more than "tough luck".  I paid $600 each for the cameras and the rest was spent on other X10 equipment.  The low price was the reason for buying.  I didn't buy expecting cheap equipment for a cheap price, I expected great equipment for a cheap price.  That was what was advertised after all.

I don't expect them to replace my cameras.  But I do expect at the very least, tell me where I can get the gears elsewhere.  This is because this has been an ongoing problem with these cams for lots and lots of customers which I note after reading the forums.

What I want is, can anybody tell me specifically, where to buy the replacement gears.  A web site and part number would be nice.  Imagine how many customers would go from mad to glad if X10 could simply have this information to give to customers in a similar predicament.  I really don't want to buy 14 more cameras and them swap them with the bad cameras and return them.  This is because I know those too will eventually have the same problem.  I want a fix, not a refund or temporary solution.

Regarding the quality of x10 products in general, I found that everything can be made to work as advertised except for the wireless video transmission, which is really not good enough for use with multiple cameras in a typical home even if it is cheap.  The reason is that while you may be able to get 1 or 2 positioned just right, getting the receiver antenna positioned just right to be able to clearly receive a wireless video signal from 8 different camera locations is unlikely.   Another problem is neighbors.  I have several neighbors that apparently also have x10 wireless cams.  Not only do their signals interfere with mine, there is nothing to prevent them from receiving my signals or controlling any of my wireless equipment.  As a wired solution, the equipment works satisfactory except for the broken plastic gears.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:12:37 PM by BFD »

glt

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Braken plastic gears on Vanguard Cameras, using multiple wireless cams
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 03:50:25 PM »

Yep - thats sad.

14 x 600 = $8,400. So $6,600 in other X10 stuff. What the HECK did you buy?

If this is true, then you need to WAY escalate the problem. And I DON"T, mean forums, or emails, or phone calls. You need to send letters  (2nd step CERTIFIED) to the X10 bigwigs - director of sales etc. These names are available on the web.

I would believe the right person could get you some gears, but this is way outside of X-10's normal business model - I don't think they repair ANYTHING - just replace.

GLT

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 05:01:37 PM »

You may want to do a search of the forums. Others have had plastic gears break and I think someone found a brass gear that could be made to work.

BFD

Re: Broken plastic gears on Vanguard Cameras, using multiple wireless cams
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 05:30:55 PM »

I have done a search of the forums.  If anybody knows of a source, please tell.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:13:19 PM by BFD »

glt

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 05:31:54 PM »

On Brians advice I searched and found...

I used a RC car 32 pitch pinion gear to
replace my broken gear.Just buy one with
the same # of teeth and file the center
hole untill it slips on the driveshaft in
the Vanguard. It's worked great for a few
years now.

In this thread.........

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=5890.0

Sounds like a plan.  Could probably search more.

GLT

and just for the heck of it....

http://www.roguerc.com/product.php?productid=8003

Don't know how many teeth.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 05:40:37 PM by glt »

BFD

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 05:40:42 PM »

That's not sufficient information to allow me to locate the exact gear needed and it gives no information about where to purchase such a gear.  The gear should have 12 teeth. 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:12:59 PM by BFD »

glt

BFD

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 06:01:07 PM »

Thank you.  I have ordered a couple and I'll report back if they work or not when they come.
Total cost for two alloy 32-pitch 12 tooth pinion gears with shipping, $11.29.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:13:40 PM by BFD »

BFD

Re: Broken plastic gears on Vanguard Cameras, replacement gears/parts
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 07:11:11 PM »

The replacement gears I purchased worked.

I am happy to report that I received the gears that I purchased for $3.15 each at http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/services/advanceresultsDetail.asp?strProd=RRP0120&strSearchType=ALL&strInCategory=ALL&strInManufacturer=ALL&tag=qsrch and after drilling holes in them using 3/16" drill bit, the replacement gears worked.  Each came with a screw in the side that could be tightened with an Allen wrench to make the fit tight.  Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction.  I am now ordering 2 dozen more so that I can fix all my other cameras.

The vertical motion gear needed to be mounted upside down and I did have to file the inside of each gear with a circular file just slightly because the fit after drilling was too snug.  I drilled the first gear with too large of a drill bit but was able to fill it with a $3 product called FASTSTEEL from Home Depot that allowed me to drill it again and although it filled in the screw hole, the fit was tight enough to not need it.

The gears used were a 32 Pitch Pinion Gear,12 Teeth made of alloy steel.   Unfortunately, the place where I bought them is out of stock but it seems there are a lot of places that sell them, I just needed to know what to order.

BFD
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:17:02 PM by BFD »

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 06:27:24 AM »

Good to hear BFD. You said you had to use a 3/16 drill bit and file just a little.

• 3/16 Drill Bit = .1875
  • # 12 Drill Bit = .189    (.0015 Larger)
  • # 11 Drill Bit = .189    (.0035 Larger)

A number 11 or 12 drill bit might eliminate the filing step, also the shaft for the gear is probably metric. I wonder if the gears used in the Ninja Pan/Tilt units are the same? I have several but at this time none have failed. Anyway this is good to hear since I am looking at getting a Vanguard. Thanks BFD for the follow up post.

----------------KDR
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 06:34:29 AM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

glt

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 07:47:04 PM »

BFD -

That is quite nice that you took the time to post your success and tips - not enough people do that!

Merry Christmas to all !

GLT

w5sno

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 12:26:37 PM »

I have had vanguard camera 3 years now.  Mostly out in front of my place under the underhang to keepout of the weather,  The same gear broke, and you will not be finding it as I went thru the same thing.   If you happen to have the Pan and Tilt nija base, the same gears are in it, I had several so took one out and fixed mine.  You can put on top of that gear plastic epoxy cement after fitting it in to make it last.
w5sno@yahoo.com

akeene

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 04:28:29 PM »

When mine broke..
I made a plaster cast and then filled it with JB WELD.
Cleaned up after they hardened with a file and installed the "new" gears. Be sure to put a SMALL anount of greese to keep them happy.
Working now for over a year in hot Arizona.
 ;D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 03:03:23 PM by akeene »
Automation is easy.. " I know"  "RIGHT " Just push a button!
Is this the modern we grew up wishing for?
I still drive my 1953 MG TD.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 11:05:17 PM »

When mine broke..
I made a plaster cast and then filled it with JB WELD.
Cleaned up after they hardened with a file and installed the "new" gears. Be sure to put a SMALL anount of greese to keep them happy.
Working now for over a year in hot Arizona.
 ;D

Very cool (and helpful)  idea!   8)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Aquadeveloper

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 11:28:41 AM »

Hi guys,

Do the Ninja Pan & Tilt use the same gear?
I seem to remember it often breaks also.

If its not the same, can someone please post info on it, (specs) and where they might have found a replacement.

Thanks,
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.