Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Camera Modules  (Read 6650 times)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
X10 Camera Modules
« on: December 16, 2006, 10:20:12 AM »

How does one put X10 Camera Modules into AH Pro?  I don't mean viewing their video.  I mean controlling their 'on' and 'off'?

If anyone doesn't know, X10 Cameras come with a plug in AC adapter, that also includes the X10 familiar House and Unit codes.  However, they don't work exactly like, for example, appliance modules.  There are "implied" functions too.

What do I mean my "implied" functions?  Maybe an example would help.  Say I have four cameras, with their house/unit codes set up as C1, C2, C3, and C4.   If I send out a powerline command of C1 'on', then not only will C1 turn 'on', but C2, C3, and C4 will turn 'off'.  Yes, even though C2, C3, and C4 didn't see any commands with their house/unit code, specifically an 'off' command, they react.

How do I do set up modules in AH Pro that behave like that ???

* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: X10 Camera Modules
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 10:55:41 AM »

Walt2: The cameras act this way because the normal video input of multiple cameras are "Y" connected together and a single line is inputed into the VA11A digital converter. You can only have 1 video input at a time so what ever camera is On the rest get turned Off.

To get other modules to work this way you would have to setup a Macro. Trigger the Macro and say B4 comes On and D5 and J8 turn Off. Another macro would turn on D5 and turn Off B4 and J8. There could be a little longer time delay switching modules On and Off as compared to the cameras and ninjas power supplies.

How does one put X10 Camera Modules into AH Pro?  I don't mean viewing their video.  I mean controlling their 'on' and 'off'?

To put the Camera Modules into AHP you simply bring up the list of camera modules and drag and drop your camera into a room. When you click the GO LIVE button that switches 1 power supply On and the others Off. Think of the GO LIVE button as an On switch for the cameras power supply. The other automatic thing that happens is the view window will pop up. If you want to turn all of the cameras Off just click the :Turn All Units Off In (room name)" in the upper right corner of your screen.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 11:12:56 AM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 11:03:52 AM »

Ah, OK.  Thanks!

So, AH Pro has no "built in" way of correctly maintaining status of the X10 camera AC adapters.  I mean, keeping with my example, if I do a C1 'on', AH Pro will correctly indicate that C1 is now 'on', but will not update C2, C3, and C4 to indicate 'off'.  Well, unless I write a macro that does that, redundantly, just to get AH Pro's status correct.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 11:12:15 AM »

AHP will still do the 1 cam on other 3 off in the group of 4.

As KDR indicated, if you cross house / unit codes or go outside of the group of 4 cameras, then you need macros to control it correctly.

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 11:15:38 AM »

You may want to re-read my first post in this thread. I added to it and didn't finish before additional post where made.

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 11:23:33 AM »

AHP will still do the 1 cam on other 3 off in the group of 4.

As KDR indicated, if you cross house / unit codes or go outside of the group of 4 cameras, then you need macros to control it correctly.

One thing I have found is if you have more then 4 cameras set up in a room, (more then 1 group of 4) lets say 7 cams, clicking GO LIVE will turn that cam on and the other 6 OFF even when in another group. I don't know if this holds true if you have more then 1 room with cameras but it does when all the cams are in the same room. I will have to give it a try and see.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 11:26:57 AM by KDR »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 12:33:44 PM »

I think KDR and Puck are asuming you have the Iwitness plug-in!
I used x10 cams before this plug-in and was able to control 4 cams but i can't remember if just specifying the addresses in AHP or using a macro for each! As long as they were in the same group of 4!
Now alot has changed with AHP since so I don't know if it will still works (or ever did with out the macro trick) as I run all the plug-ins now!
note: I did have my cams in the same room (cameras) in AHP!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 02:51:03 PM »

Yes, I don't have the Iwithness plug in.  Since I have no interest in viewing the video output on my PC nor remotely, I didn't think I need it.  I just wanted to control their 'on' and 'off' correctly.

Walt2:
To put the Camera Modules into AHP you simply bring up the list of camera modules and drag and drop your camera into a room.

I don't have any list of camera modules.  :(

From Tuicemen, I assume the list of cameras come with Iwithness, and if you have that plug-in, you just hit a dead end.  Oh, well....    :'(

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 03:39:34 PM »

Yes, I don't have the Iwithness plug in.  Since I have no interest in viewing the video output on my PC nor remotely, I didn't think I need it.  I just wanted to control their 'on' and 'off' correctly.

Walt2:
To put the Camera Modules into AHP you simply bring up the list of camera modules and drag and drop your camera into a room.

I don't have any list of camera modules.  :(

From Tuicemen, I assume the list of cameras come with Iwithness, and if you have that plug-in, you just hit a dead end.  Oh, well....    :'(

Exactly.

The camera list comes from the Iwitness plug-in!  If you don't have it (I have zero plug-ins and don't want or need them.) AHP 2.04 does not have it.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 04:08:24 PM »

The ablity to add cams from a list is part of the Iwitness Plug-in, but this doesn't stop you from controling the cams from with in AHP (you just can't view them from AHP.)
Now the other feature of the iWitness plug-in and probly the best is the control of the pan & tilts .
But for just turning on off cams the plug-in isn't needed you just need to specify the address house code & unit code set it up as an appliance mode and label it a camera! ;) :D ;D them make a macro triggered by it to turn off the other cams . (do this for each of the other cams) ;) :D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

KDR

• Home Automation Chat
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 04:44:05 PM »

MY BAD  ;D

Tuicemen is correct, a dummy appliance module will work great and so will the macros to control whats On and whats Off.

------------------- K D R
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 04:58:24 PM by KDR »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 06:59:21 PM »

... :D ;D them make a macro triggered by it to turn off the other cams . (do this for each of the other cams) ;) :D

Sorry, but I just want to make sure that my point isn't lost, in that the other cams automatically turn themselves 'off' when other cam is turned 'on'.  The only purpose a macro would have, is to ensure that AHPro internal status is correct.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.