Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dealing with Ceiling Fans  (Read 3044 times)

jshores

Dealing with Ceiling Fans
« on: January 09, 2007, 03:07:18 PM »

I have a number of Hunter fans installed. The fans are controlled by Hunter's All Fan 2-wire Fan & Light Control (Model 27186 -- http://www.hunterprestige.com/prodSum.php?pid=176&pType=acc&sType=30). Basically the fan control is a wireless addition that allows the consumer to replace a single light switch with a module that allows separate control of the fan (speed) and light (on/off/dim).

I want the fan lights to be controllable via X10. I'm looking for suggestions on how best to do this. Should I completely replace the Hunter fan controls with something X10? Is there a way to integrate an inline lamp module so the light can be controlled by X10?  Any one have success using a Leviton XPDF & XPFM at the ceiling box and a XPT & XPD4 keypad at the wall box to control the fan & light?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Dealing with Ceiling Fans
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 12:18:16 PM »

FWIW
I use hacked Lamp module and hacked Appliance module to control several ceiling fans. (I just "home made" XPDF and XPFM modules). You relinquish any ability to control fan speed however. (even with a "snubber" network, a Lamp module makes fan motor buzz too loud to be usable...beside the fan motor does not like it one bit). There is no reason why you could not use a keypad in the wall box IF it has a neutral wire.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: Dealing with Ceiling Fans
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 12:13:55 AM »

Good Evening,

You do not state that you do not have three wires to the fan even though your controllers need only two.  If you have three wires you can add a x10 wall switch and wire it through the third wire to the lamps.  If not then add a box in the ceiling and put the x10 wall switch there and control your light.  The switch passes the full 117V to the fan the electronics change things upon RF commands.  The lights and fan motor are typically two separate entities in Hunter fans.

Not slick but it will work.

Good Luck
Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.