Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GFI Rated X-10 Outlet  (Read 11011 times)

barrzy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
GFI Rated X-10 Outlet
« on: December 20, 2006, 10:24:24 AM »

Hello,
I am looking to have my low voltage lanscape lighting to be controlled from my X-10 mini timer instead of the timer uilt into the low voltage transfomer. Here is my problem (mind you, I am not electrician and have no interest to be) . . . When I plug in a X-10 lamp module into the gfi outdoor plug, the gfi plastic cover won't shut as the plug into the lamp module connects at the bottom. Does X-10 make a gfi rated outlet or can anyone suggest a solution. I don't feel like shelling out the money for an electrician to put a 4 gang gfi box in or how it would look on the house. Thanks and Seasons Greetings from Massachusetts!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: GFI Rated X-10 Outlet
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 12:21:27 PM »

Hello,
I am looking to have my low voltage landscape lighting to be controlled from my X-10 mini timer instead of the timer uilt into the low voltage transfomer. Here is my problem (mind you, I am not electrician and have no interest to be) . . . When I plug in a X-10 lamp module

Don't use a Lamp Module to control the inductive load of outdoor lighting transformer. Smoke is usually a by-product.

into the gfi outdoor plug, the gfi plastic cover won't shut as the plug into the lamp module connects at the bottom. Does X-10 make a gfi rated outlet

No
or can anyone suggest a solution. I don't feel like shelling out the money for an electrician to put a 4 gang gfi box in or how it would look on the house.
Let's see: you are not an electrician and don't want to be. You don't want to hire an electrician. And you don't want a bigger box...you didn't leave much to work with, other than wishing for the electrical fairies....
except maybe this. Google for a product called "Freewire" sold under the Black & Decker name. I believe they make (made) an appliance style module on a short male plug / female outlet pigtale. The device is outdoor rated and has a long enough lead that it will hang down out of the GFI box. The LV landscape transformer would plug into the Freewire unit.
Brian H, a regular contributor, has experience with the Freewire product and perhaps could shed more light. Smarthome.com was closing out their stock of Freewire and may still have some.
Ignoring your "How it would look on the house" restriction, the simplest fix might be an external outdoor enclosure mounted next to the LV lighting transformer to house the appliance module.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

barrzy

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 01:36:42 PM »

Thanks for the info. I know I didn't leave many options. I will also use an appliance module which I thought I had to use, but was told differently from X-10 support when I first encountered this issue a few weeks back. I will check into your suggestions. Regards, Derek

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 02:50:58 PM »

Another possibility is a protective cover on the GFCI like the first example in this post.

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=11254.msg64354#msg64354
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

barrzy

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 03:00:36 PM »

Very McGuiveresk, but certainly ugly. When I come up with a solution, I will post what I did. Thank you for your input and Happy New Year - Derek

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 03:17:16 PM »

Very McGuiveresk, but certainly ugly.

The appropriate adjective is EFFECTIVE;)

...been in service now for 12 years.

...been in use for over 7 years

...new this year but I think it will be as reliable as the others.

Thanks for sharing these ideas Oldtimer:)

barrzy

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 08:56:28 PM »

I did a little reasearch and came up with a solution that looks good and most important is functional. I had my friend make up a small extension dongle (about 2"). He gave me a Multi-Mac weatherproof receptacle cover which I installed. It is 4 3/4" deep. The appliance module fits in snuggly providing a nice tight weatheproof seal. In case anyone else want to try this, visit: http://www.taymac.com/taymac/mm2.html  - Derek

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 03:03:58 PM »

I did a little research and came up with a solution that looks good and most important is functional. I had my friend make up a small extension dongle (about 2"). He gave me a Multi-Mac weatherproof receptacle cover which I installed. It is 4 3/4" deep. The appliance module fits in snuggly providing a nice tight weatherproof seal. In case anyone else want to try this, visit: http://www.taymac.com/taymac/mm2.html  - Derek

barrzy:  Thanks for sharing this solution!  If I were installing a module outdoors permanently I'd certainly consider this an excellent option, depending on how exposed to the weather the location was.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 10:28:31 PM »

Good Evening,

Probably the simplest solution would be a custom extension cord.  You could go to your local Home Depot and get a water tight box and appropriate fittings to put the lighting module in. 

I have used light dimmers on small transformers for years without any problems.  If you have a worry connect a standard lamp as well which will adsorb the transient from the inductive load.

Have Fun
Gil Shultz

barrzy

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 08:24:11 AM »

Pretty close to what I did. When I get time I will post some pictures. Basically had my electrician frind make up a small pigtail extension. I then got a water tightoutdoor outlet housing that was twice as deep as the standard ones. Works like a charm. Thanks - DB

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 12:34:17 PM »

...a product called "Freewire" sold under the Black & Decker name. I believe they make (made) an appliance style module on a short male plug / female outlet pigtale. The device is outdoor rated and has a long enough lead that it will hang down out of the GFI box. The LV landscape transformer would plug into the Freewire unit....
This is a really the prefect item for the job. I have one and it's designed for outdoor use. It has no moving dials to worry about also. This is a link for it at Smarthome. Check their packages and auctions also. Sometimes you can get an even better deal.

http://www.smarthome.com/2000BE.html

A side advantage for indoor use is that, while not totally silent, it is substantially quieter when switching than a standard appliance module. I used one in my bedroom for switching something at night while I was sleeping.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 12:37:15 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.