Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: My CM15A/AHP is working flawlessly  (Read 221760 times)

Bill59

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: My CM15A/AHP is working flawlessly
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2009, 07:05:03 AM »

Antenna modification, 2kv .1uf cap, Xtb, bulletproof!!!!

ttrolinger

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »

Bill, can you elaborate a little more on this? Maybe a circuit diagram?
Thanks,
TJ

Bill59

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2009, 03:54:50 PM »

TJ, the antenna modification is on the forum not quite sure of the thread name but it's an antenna from another x-10 module (TM751maybe)?? I'm still a little new here too. I used an antenna from radio shack that is telescoping so you can try different lengths according to wave lengths. This antenna connects just like the one described on the other antenna mod thread. The capacitor is a 2kv rated, .1uf most likely used in larger RF power supplies. It's connected across the two phases in the breaker panel, also describe in many forums, and sometimes frowned upon by some.
The XTB is available on the web. JV digital,also widely talked about and highly regarded. To find in depth info look for any of these in the subject line. You know type in (for example) ".1uf capacitor phase coupler"  I hope this kind of helped.

ttrolinger

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2009, 04:06:39 PM »

Bill, thanks for the reply, ahhh now I understand. So this is just a different antenna that is longer than the original. I am already doing that with a coat hanger. Not that pretty, but I don’t care because my CM15 is hidden in a wall anyway. I thought you were talking about some ingenious circuit that could be added to the CM15 to increase range.
In the past, I have also used a high voltage cap across the power line phases, but that proved to be not a great idea. On two tries, I smelled burning electronics and found the cap charred to a crisp. Since then I have purchased a active X10 coupler and installed it in the breaker panel. It has been WELL worth the $60.
TJ

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2009, 04:10:42 PM »

Yes the plain cap can sometimes not work out.
One should get one specifically designed and made for power line use. When I had one installed it had all kinds of agency ratings for Power Line Use. Now I have an ACT134 Repeater but shortly it will be replaced by Jeff's XBT-IIR

Bill59

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2009, 04:36:12 PM »

Guys, What was the voltage rating specifically? The original one I tried was rated for approximately 600vdc or 250 vac, which is real close to max volts. That one went poof!!! Then found the 2kv,and added a little fuse that is in-line with one leg. It came out of an old Xmas light string. So far so good! The thing about the antenna is it's adjustable to almost 3/4 wave length. Some times the best range is not exactly the length it should be. Small key chain remotes outside at 130ft. Not bad for a $5 antenna. Oh by the way the was cap was $3. Boy I'm cheap!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2009, 06:56:23 PM »

If you have not looked at Jeff Volp's Troubleshooting Guides that are very informative.
One is on all kinds of couplers and repeaters.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

I believe the AC rated cap I used was 250 Volts AC but had markings indicating Power Line use.
Some have also added an 18 uh inductor in series with the .1uf cap to tune the coupler to 120 KHz the X10 power line frequency. Smarthome's coupler has the 18 uh inductor in theirs along with the .1 uf cap.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 06:58:40 PM by Brian H »

ttrolinger

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2009, 07:35:32 PM »

You guys might want to check out the one I am using. In my case, it works great and now its not much more expensive than a couple high grade caps. I wish it was only $15 bucks when I bought it.
TJ

http://www.thex10shop.com//product/136119/X10-X-10-PRO-XPCR-Home-Automation-Coupler-Repeater-Booster_688482.html

rnorton888

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2009, 06:51:30 PM »

Well I have only had my system a couple weeks and at times I have wanted to through it through the window but I rent so that was out of the question.
I have my C15A plugged into the computer as I use Macros. Everything seems to be great for me. I even have some things going on like two vanguard cameras being recorded when the active eye detects movement and then it emails me the results.
I only have the security modules 5 and 4 lights connected to it but use daily automation so lights go off and on etc when I am not home and so far everything has worked great.
Down side the Range of the Security dialer really is not near 100 ft. I put a larger antenna on it and it helps but the range of the door/window and motion detectors suck for me.
Thanks
Randy

babybearjs

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2013, 02:19:13 AM »

You guys are funny!  my system works fine when I have the date on the PC set right.... Know I know why the light came on so early the other day!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.