Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to automate your house without Activehome Pro  (Read 76418 times)

alexo1us

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: How to automate your house without Activehome Pro
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 11:12:26 AM »

Thanx guy's
i still have far to go.
When I looked at 19 i was wondering how the X10 was trancieved.

i will never set mine to run without PC except for basic on off incase the pc goes down. So for that the 15a will do and it is small enough.
I'll get two more of 15's  tear one apart for my project make it easier to mount inside the case.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 11:35:22 AM »

Thanx guy's
i still have far to go.
When I looked at 19 i was wondering how the X10 was trancieved.

i will never set mine to run without PC except for basic on off incase the pc goes down. So for that the 15a will do and it is small enough.
I'll get two more of 15's  tear one apart for my project make it easier to mount inside the case.

Why would you want to mount it inside the computer case?   RF receiving and transmission probably won't work due to the shielding of the case, and the line filtering of the computer power supply is likely to severely attenuate the X10 powerline signals.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

alexo1us

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 01:06:31 PM »

I'm trying to make all in one type thing it will have external connection for RF sheilding and PL filtering. will need to look at it.
Right I've duck taped my 15 to side of my AHP pc.  Run one power cord it has a wifi card so for now I just have on a high book shelf.

I have the perfic little platform a mini dell with enough space (just) full sound all usb p4 1.8 120 gb drive and a gb ram should be enough to run it.  My gole is to build these for clients who want home automation. that once setup if needed I can remote into them add devices change programing macros and such. this makes it a great addon for my network clients.

alexo1us

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 03:30:24 PM »

shouldn't be too hard with the external antenna and the power will go the 15 board first should help with pl interference. but it's not problem with test unit. and with being high up the RF range has also dramaticialy been increased.
hey it may not Although there is no reason it will not.
Alex

dellzip

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 04:48:44 PM »

And when you get to the end of this and already own a CM15a, you can add it to the system as a toy camera controller (about the only added value.)

• 1.) Use scene-enabled modules.  Smarthome's work well.  PCS Scenemasters are okay, but have no status reporting (odd for an $80 light switch!)  The "dummy module" convention I see mentioned here to work around AHP's limitations is where the scene goes.  AHP just reacts to the scene to control appliances that are not scene-enabled.  No dummies needed.  If you are going to abstract your automated home in software, you want it to make sense at a glance.

• 2.) Keypads are great scene controllers.  Smarthome Keypadlinc is one, Leviton makes one too.  Very comforting to know that when the @$#! CM15a takes a powder, you can still control your lights from a wallswitch.

• 3.) Get a WGL PC receiver (w800RF.)  They receive everything (camera remotes, security devices, etc.)  Who needs plugins?  What software to use?  I would say Misterhouse, but there are problems with their w800RF module (big shock.)  I will straighten them out on that in the near future.  For those that don't know, MH is free aggravation, as opposed to AHP's $50 a pop aggravation.  If you have used MH in the past, give it another try as I did manage to fix a lot of it last Spring.  The Pro version is coming this Spring...

• 4.) Get a wall-mounted timer for security lights.  Even a table-top model.  You don't need this ridiculous software to turn lights on and off at a set interval (with security delays, etc.)

• 5.) Dusk to dawn timers for outdoor lights?  This is the biggest no-brainer of them all: use light fixtures with built-in sensors.  When trying to synchronize with sunlight, you just can't beat actual sunlight as an indicator.

• 6.) Thermostats, temperature sensors, weather, news, alarm systems, alphanumeric displays, MP3 players, etc. are all do-able with Misterhouse.  No expensive plugins needed.  Contrast that with AHP, where a "Windows command" is one quoted string without arguments.  You know you are off in the weeds when you have to create a BAT file for every sound effect.  Certainly MH can speak and play sounds all day long (any decent Windows app can these days!)  Matter of fact, I recently added file-based event sounds w/ schemes for different holidays.  Try that with batch files.

• 7.) Webcams work much better than those ridiculous wireless cameras.  They can all be on at once and taking a snapshot is the same as downloading an image from a Web site.  Contrast that with using the AHP plugin.  It is fifty bucks for a WAV file and camera flash animation (which twitches on and off repeatedly whenever the video plugin is recording.)  And as I mentioned in a previous post, it screws up the already shaky AHP application.  It takes two lines of PERL code in MH to snap a picture and play the related event sound.  I'll add a camera flash animation to the status bar, but it will only go off once for each picture taken!

• 8.) Use your alarm as a controller if you have one that sends X10 signals.  My alarm can be programmed to send certain X10 codes on arm home/arm away/disarm, etc.  As you might guess, the first two are scene aliases (home and away.)  So I can just use my alarm keyfob on the way out the door, sixty seconds later the house sets the away scene (AHP is not involved with that.)  If AHP is actually conscious at the time, a macro is triggered by the scene (AKA dummy module) to turn off a few outlets (scene-enabled outlets would be nice.)  The disarm code unlatches the inside garage door momentarily so that I don't have to fumble around for my badge.  Once again, no software or controller (other than the alarm itself) is involved.

There are lots of other things you can do without help from AHP.  Your best bet is to find as many as you can before opening the carton with the CM15a (and know going in that the wall wart is just a toy camera controller.)  Speaking of the Ninjas, unless the latest and greatest CM15a that they are sending me does a better job of retaining its macros and timers, I will be controlling the garage camera with software (and not AHP!)  You cannot control the Ninjas with the current incarnation of Misterhouse, but you can with the upcoming MH Pro.  Where does that leave AHP?  Nowhere.

[TTA Edit: Formatted for improved readability.]
Very informative post, thanks

alexo1us

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »

Ya Give that mister house one a try, that software will really give you somthing to tinker with. I guess I'm no good at this stuff.

I had to stick to AHP as MH wouldn't see my CM15A  as far adding moduals looks alot more involved.
It has some great features The reason I tried it but it was too complicated for me a very newbe. So I just left it, it is still installed.
There are Lot's choices for HA every one of them has good and bad associated with them Even AHP.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 09:21:10 PM »

Mister House won't work with the CM15A, only the CM11A. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

alexo1us

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 09:39:21 PM »

interesting since it is listed on the list for them.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 05:36:25 PM »

I just went back to the MisterHouse site and the CM15A  IS NOT LISTED as compatible, only the CM17.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

alexo1us

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 05:59:45 PM »

Don't know where you went but from the main site go to wiki
then interfaces, down near the bottom you will find CM15A RIGHT BELOW CM11A and Above the 17a
Alex
Doesn't matter though since it looks way to involved for me.

Since were mentioning other products I have loaded up HomeSeer looks good so far VERY PRICEY But you get what you pay for
looks like it work with my ip camera's but it will work with larger verity of devices, they allready have purpose built box.
X10 this is where AHP should be. Should note though they say you must run the PC.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:05:30 PM by alexo1us »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 06:58:14 PM »

Dosn't matter though since it looks way to involved for me

Yeah but there are others who really like MisterHouse... and have had to choose between software or interface. I think Dan Lawrence is concerned about having reliable, searchable information for everyone who visits here.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

alexo1us

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 07:24:39 PM »

Sorry guy's
I just re read this and realized I hyjacked it. :-[
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.